First Responders - Emergency Contacts facility for Registered Members
These are members who can be contacted in an emergency for advice on a sick, injured or found pigeon/dove. Please read the following before scrolling down to the list:
About First Responders:
Please be aware that our First Responders are not Veterinarians. They were chosen based on their knowledge and experience, and are very capable of discussing and offering advice (please note that this is an on-line service only, with no off-line services offered). They are volunteer members, and we cannot guarantee that any specific Responder will be logged in and available at a particular time.
Please also post your request in "I found a pigeon or dove - now what?", "Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions" or "Wood Pigeons And Others Not Native To North America" as appropriate, giving as much information as you can. To do this, please click on the name of the relevant forum section and use the "New Thread" button found towards top left of page.
(Please provide as much information as possible, but do not worry if you are not sure about some of it. Our members will ask relevant questions if/when they need to)
A) LOCATION OF PATIENT - CITY/STATE/PROVINCE/COUNTRY - this is very important information that needs to be given first thing when contacting people for treatment of injured or sick birds. This information can be used to help find veterinary and/or rehab facilities in your area to help you with the treatment of your bird(s)
B) Circumstances - own bird, found bird, given bird
C) Was an attempt made to contact a Vet or Rescue/Rehab facility?
D) If bird appears uninjured, but seems sick: description of illness/observations (please be as detailed as possible):
1. Physical description of symptoms (wheezing, unable to stand, not eating/drinking, discharge from nose, diarrhea, etc)
2. How long the bird has had symptoms
3. What has been done to comfort the bird
4. What medications owner has available
5. Experience of owner in treating birds
E) If bird has an evident injury: description of injury/observations (please be as detailed as possible):
1. Area of injury - wing, neck, leg, beak, body etc.
2. Type of injury - break, puncture wound, cut, concussion, bird bleeding
3. Cause of injury if known - hit by car, hawk attack, flew into wire/window
4. What has been done to comfort the bird
5. What medications owner has available
6. Experience of owner in treating birds
First Responder list:
spirit wings (USA - Nr Williamsburg VA )
Jaye (USA - Portland, Oregon)
Msfreebird (USA - Southern Maine/New Hampshire Seacoast)
Quazar (UK - Edinburgh, Scotland)
altgirl35 (USA - Gloucester MA)
Clicking on a Responder's name will take you to the PM (private message) form so you can contact the member.
"Pigeons know more than we think - and think more than we know" ~ John D.
Last edited by almondman; 19th May 2012 at 04:14 PM.
|pigeon rescue, rescue, rescue contacts|