Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 14th June 2007, 04:13 PM

Do feral pigeons have predators?

Aside from man and the by products thereof; do feral pigeons have any natural predators?

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine the other day and this topic came up. I personally couldn't think of any.

Posted 14th June 2007, 04:20 PM
The main predator of pigeons is hawks. Of course a sick or injured bird that is grounded is in danger from cats and dogs. Owls also will kill a pigeon during the night. As will a possum and a weasel. Baby pigeons and pigeon eggs are in danger from some types of snakes. So, yes, I guess they have a few natural predators.
Posted 14th June 2007, 04:27 PM
Raccoons are also pigeon predators. They're the main reason you need at least 1/4" hardware cloth around their outside cages. A raccoon can tear off a pigeon's wing or leg by simply reaching through wire.

Rats, too.
Posted 14th June 2007, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Tarheel View Post
Raccoons are also pigeon predators. They're the main reason you need at least 1/4" hardware cloth around their outside cages. A raccoon can tear off a pigeon's wing or leg by simply reaching through wire.

Rats, too.
Yep, forgot about those two...............
Posted 14th June 2007, 04:47 PM
...Marmots, Mink, Ferrets, Ermine, or their additional broader kin...Felines, Canines, Snakes of various kinds...Wolverines...Alligators, Crockadiles, Jackels, Heineas, Cars, Trucks, Busses...people...anything or anyone which is liable to prey on them intentionally or not, or on their young or compromised or grounded or nesting ones...

Oye...

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 15th June 2007, 08:45 AM
Crows too. We have wild pigeons living in our soffits and I see the crows fly right in after young birds and eggs. I don't think they go for the adults but definitely eggs and babies. That's how I ended up with my baby Torque. I think he was a failed crow attack and he fell into my patio when he was little.
Posted 15th June 2007, 08:58 AM
Rats will kill pigeons, though they are usually after the feed in a 'pigeon house'. I guess it would be the young, but I can imagine that rats would kill a disabled pigeon particularly if the bird was startled and attempted to peck or wingslap.

John

"Pigeons know more than we think - and think more than we know" ~ John D.
Posted 15th June 2007, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_D View Post
Rats will kill pigeons, though they are usually after the feed in a 'pigeon house'. I guess it would be the young, but I can imagine that rats would kill a disabled pigeon particularly if the bird was startled and attempted to peck or wingslap.

John
Rats will take the head right off a pigeon. duck or chicken in the middle of the night when it is dark. They work as a pack.
Rats will also go after caged birds left in cages outside during the day. Last summer our Audobon Wild life care Center had all of the mentioned happen. One night alone more than a dozen ready to release ducks and crows were beheaded and partically eaten. It was heartbreaking.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 15th June 2007, 12:02 PM
surprisingly, now pelicans also....=\

www.freewebs.com/clintsloft
Posted 15th June 2007, 12:28 PM
I live in a large city and was surprised to find we have a huge hawk, owl, and Peregrine falcon population that hunts our ferals.
Posted 19th June 2007, 06:46 PM
I live in a very rural area and at one time or another have had pigeons eaten by just about everything. Untill I covered my flightpen with 1/4 inch mesh my biggest problem was snakes. I removed 13 eastern rat snakes over 5 foot long, numerous smaller ones, 2 rattlesnakes, and one or two that I never did identify. This was in one year. I have also caught in live traps, racoons, skunks, opposums, a Siberian Husky, rats, Owls, 1 young bobcat, and several mink. I have sighted but never caught a full grown cougar (Need a bigger trap!). I say all this to tell you that EVRYTHING eats pigeon. Before anybody gets excited or upset over all this stuff let me expain that I released evrything alive except one rattlesnake that I slammed the door on. My birds are housed within a few feet of a national forest, so I have to build with an eye to the varmits. It is sort of fun to see what will show up next.
Posted 19th June 2007, 06:49 PM
Almost everything can attack a pigeon at one stage. I have had rat problems, snake problems, ants problem & dont forget many disease problems too
Posted 19th June 2007, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG3240 View Post
I removed 13 eastern rat snakes over 5 foot long, numerous smaller ones, 2 rattlesnakes, and one or two that I never did identify. This was in one year. I have also caught in live traps, racoons, skunks, opposums, a Siberian Husky, rats, Owls, 1 young bobcat, and several mink. I have sighted but never caught a full grown cougar (Need a bigger trap!). I say all this to tell you that EVRYTHING eats pigeon. Before anybody gets excited or upset over all this stuff let me expain that I released evrything alive except one rattlesnake that I slammed the door on. My birds are housed within a few feet of a national forest, so I have to build with an eye to the varmits. It is sort of fun to see what will show up next.
Maybe your snakes were cottonmouths or copperheads -- nice and sneaky!

Definitely need some bigger "Hav-a-hearts". That's one big kitty!

Pigeons are sort of like prairie dogs. They're on everyone's menu if they can catch 'em
I cannot help that I was born without a golden egg . . . . . . .
So when you walk by me, please look me in the eye.
If it would come down to it -- would I live or die?

-- Joyce Glass

Flitsnowzoom

Last edited by flitsnowzoom; 20th June 2007 at 05:14 AM.
Posted 19th June 2007, 09:12 PM
Seagull will also take pigeon when they can. About the only defense pigeons have is their explosive, powerful flight!
Posted 20th June 2007, 04:13 AM
....and last but not least the domestic or wild cat, they seem to becoming quite a nuisance.... wherever irresponsible humans populate.

I think this thread has exposed every single reason why 1/4 hardware cloth is such a necessity, wherever openings exist. So much grief and heartache can be avoided by this wonderful invention.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.

Last edited by Skyeking; 20th June 2007 at 04:16 AM.

Tags
baby pigeon, feral pigeon, injured bird, pigeon eggs, wild pigeon, wild pigeons, young bird