Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 20th February 2006, 11:12 AM

Found Pigeon Walking in circles

I found an adult pigeon at work. He can't fly and was very easy to capture. I assume he is injured but his wings and feet seem fine. He has bright eyes and is alert. I confined him to a cage with food, water and shelter, but he walks in circles when he's in the cage. I have taken him for "walks" in the backyard. He will stand there or walk in circles. He also turns his head upside down. He has seemed to improve and will eat from the ground and drink from puddles. I was looking for insight on what else he needs to get better.

Last edited by kargog; 20th February 2006 at 11:18 AM.
Posted 20th February 2006, 11:22 AM
Please go back to the forum page and scroll down to "Sick or Injured pigeon discussion", then click on the "sticky" Pigeon Paramyxovirus. Very important info there and that SOUNDS like that's what your found bird may have. Others will be along shortly with more info......
Posted 20th February 2006, 11:37 AM
If it's PMV, then time. And he could get worse before he gets better. It may take up to a couple of months. If it really gets bad, he may need to be fed and watered the hard way for awhile.

Pidgey
Posted 20th February 2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info, it looks like thats what he has.
Posted 20th February 2006, 01:18 PM
Hi Kargog,

Yup...sounds like it to me too from your describe...

I would recommend also, a nice source of Cage warmth for him, the 'usual' Heating Pad set-up. Where you have an electric Heating Pad set to 'medium' with a single or maybe double layer of small hand Towell or folded or rumpled 'tee-shirt' over it, and have that so the Bird can be on it or off of it as they like for their comforts...

Direct outdoor Sunshine, weather permitting! And often...where, on Sunny days, you set them in their Cage in some for-sure 'safe' place, so they can soak up some Rays for a few hours...

Good chow and plenty of it - we can run through some of this later, but basically, some PMV Birds can peck and eat, and if so, I say let them stuff themselves to the gills all they like with good wholesome Seeds that one augments or suppliments with various additional nutritional things.

Get a big bag of good grade 'Pigeon Mix' Seeds if there are any Feed Stores or Bird supply places that carry it or can order it in.

Also get some nice Grit of some kind for him also.

Watch the poops to see if they look other then moist easy-to-pick-up-in-your-finger-tips 'raisen' size or a little larger, and they should appear brown-green-with-white...

If they do not look like this, or if they have any 'yellow' in them, there may be some secondary illness opportuning...

Drape the sides and back and top of his Cage with cloth or old shirts or something, so he is protected from drafts...leave the front undraped by day so he can see out if he likes...and cover it for night sleep time.

Have fresh nice drinking Water in a little flat bottomed bowl or single-serve size 'Custard' baking dish, and scrub and refill it every day...as well as his similar size and shape of Seed Bowl.

Figure on a few months of R & R and convelescent-time for him, and, in the meanwhile, keep him seperate from any other Birds...

And for his comforts and peace of mind, make sure no Dogs Cats or kids or other animals can pester him.

If his seisures, 'Star Gazing', palsies, or neck-twisting are getting the better of him, thanks to Pidgey here, we all now know we can take one little flake of regular common Aspirin, a flake the size of a Straight Pin 'head', and pop that down their gullet as an anti-inflammitory which can ease their neurologic-musculature symptoms of these twisting things. Sometimes this can make the difference between self-feeding via pecking, or having to be fed via some tube or syringe, which of course they typically hate, and resent, as well as it is a hassle for the neophyte caregiver to deal with.

I believe one can give this size dose three-times-a-24 hr period, but others may wish to clearify or affirm this.

Till next...

Good luck...!

Phil
Las Vegas

Last edited by pdpbison; 20th February 2006 at 01:30 PM.
Posted 20th February 2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=12248

Hello and thank you for your concern over this pigeon.

Where do you live, do you need some help?

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 20th February 2006, 01:31 PM
Hi Tressa,

Good questions!

I forgot to ask...

Lol...

Love,

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 20th February 2006, 03:24 PM
Hi Kargog,

I did dose with the aspirin (325mg) three times a day without any negative consequences, however always with food. In my case I crushed up that tiny bit-size aspirin (and it is very small, being just pin-head sized) put it into a syrynge with formula, skaken so it is mixed, and fed that way. I was advised to use only Aspirin, as in ASA and not Ibuprofin nor Acetominophen or Tylenol Etc.

You may not be comfortable with the idea of tube-feeding but I can assure you it is not that difficult at all as long as you can hold your bird on your lap while you feed. There is a good thread on tube-feeding somewhere so I will try to locate it for you. I use a long wool scarf to restrain wings and legs and it is a very process to wrap and secure the bird. Just a couple of loops around the bird, snug but not too tight as to limit their ability to breathe comfortably. I went to see my vet for a first hand demonstration of tube feeding into the crop and let me tell you that was one demonstration I really appreciated.

You do need to take care not to force the tube too deeply (nor feed too shallow) and to use a tube on the end of a syringe that is smooth on the tip edges so that no tearing of tissue will result from the insertion. The first time is scary but after that first time you will get the hang of it as quick as I did. I just learned two weeks ago from all the advice I got here and from my vet. It's a snap! Really!

Cameron
Posted 20th February 2006, 07:18 PM
I'll try the asprin, his seizures were very bad today. He's in my garage in a cage right now. I take him out during the morning to play in the back yard. I spread seed out and he eats it off the ground. I'm in AZ so it's always a sunny day . I got him a warming rock and I drape his cage with a blanket.

Thank you for all the advice, I really need it!

Karissa
Posted 20th February 2006, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargog
I'll try the asprin, his seizures were very bad today. He's in my garage in a cage right now.
*I take him out during the morning to play in the back yard.

** I spread seed out and he eats it off the ground.

*** I'm in AZ so it's always a sunny day . I got him a warming rock and I drape his cage with a blanket.

Thank you for all the advice, I really need it!

Karissa
Hello Kargog,
* It's actually better, for the time being, to keep him confined to a dark, warm, quite area, away from family & animal traffic, as this helps to reduce stress which will cause the symptoms to enhance.
About three years ago my yard seemed to have become a magnet for PMV pijjies. I had 12 in a two week span.

** If you find he is having problems picking up the seeds, which happens with PMV pijjies, put the seeds in a deep dish.

*** In what general location of AZ do you reside?

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Posted 20th February 2006, 08:15 PM
I can't seem to find that good post on Tube feeding that I wanted. I am spinning wheels trying to find it and I know I should have these things book-marked by now but I don't so if anyone does have it or another handy will you post for Kargog to see. Thanks a lot,

Cameron.

(starting tomorrow,....bookmarking my favourite threads and posts)
Posted 20th February 2006, 08:16 PM
He has a deep dish but he usually ends up knocking it over from spinning in his cage. When I take him out he seems to enjoy it. There aren't any dogs or cats in the yard, plus I stay out there with him. I'm in the Avondale area.
Posted 20th February 2006, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargog
He has a deep dish but he usually ends up knocking it over from spinning in his cage. When I take him out he seems to enjoy it. There aren't any dogs or cats in the yard, plus I stay out there with him. I'm in the Avondale area.
My PMV pigeon was put on a course of Prednisone. Although there are probably more cons than pros for using this form of treatment, it was a Godsend for 'Pij'. Within two & a half months he was symptom free.

Here is a link to a very informative thread regarding PMV.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=12248

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Posted 21st February 2006, 09:38 AM
He's not doing well today. I gave him the asprin and had to put seed in his mouth. His seizures are very bad, he seems to have them continuously.
Posted 21st February 2006, 10:13 AM
Hi Kargog,
What kind of a heating rock are you talking about? The kind of one you buy in a pet store for Lizards and such? If so I wouldn't use it as they have a high tendency to bake the organs from inside out.

They are not rats with wings and they feel pain like you and me. Save our beloved Pigeons without people like us their numbers would be less. God Bless to Pigeon Lovers

Tags
adult pigeon, avian vet, electric heating pad, heating pad, injured pigeon, pet store, pigeon mix, sick bird, tube feeding