Pigeon-Talk banner

Out on the Wire

Tags
trapping
2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jeff houghton 
#1 ·
I have just got back into keeping pigeons after many years and started out with six excellent birds. I am not racing them, rather just keeping them for the pleasure of it. Having lost a couple of birds (hawks, lost, wire I' not sure) I am now down to four young birds no older than three months.

My problem is getting them back in after letting them out to fly. Since their first release they have always dissapeared for at least an hour or more when they come back they sit on the telepone wire for hours and then slowly make their way back to the loft.

I have tried to train them to know the sound of the feed can but when they are out on the wire its like they are not interested at all. This week I have cut back on their feed and before their Friday am release, I had not fed them at all for 24 hours; so I know they are hungry.

Today, I let them out at 7:00am, they were back and on the wire before 8:00am, but I could not get them in until 1:00pm which is extremely frustating.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the birds back in the loft promptly? I am afraid that while they are out there on the wire, they will attract hawks and the last thing I need is to be a provider of food for the local birds of prey.

Help please.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
once you let you're birds out the only control to try IS feed, otherwise you have no control. to get them to come in they have to be hungry. you would think they were hungry if not fed for 24 hours..but perhaps they need less feed over a period of days before letting out again.. if you want to try to figure that out..then leave them in the loft, adjust your feed untill they come down to eat at you're feed call without hesitation or very eager to eat..when that happens note how much feed you are giving and keep it at that or a bit less.. then let them out before you feed.. feeding the same time everyday helps.. that way you would either let them out before the am feeding or before the pm feeding..time is important as it is a routine they remember...feeding them in the middle of the day just to get them in may not work if they have a scheduled feeding time as well. I know it is worrisome to not beable to get you're birds in when you want..but if you are not racing then it really does not matter and if you are worried about predation then don't fly the birds at all. my homers are not racing either so they are let out and come in at dusk when they roost for the night so there is no reason to ration their feed any longer for me..they can go in and out of the loft at will while Im home to keep an eye on the loft.. there have been times a hawk was spotted and they either fly high as a flock or beeline for the loft..so there is more saftey in numbers more eyes to the sky and defense flock flying when a hawk is spotted..so I would get more birds if I were you.

#3 ·
Thanks Spirit Wings; good advice.
I am getting some more birds at the end of next month that will bring me up to at least eight. I will breed them as soon as possible and my goal is to keep around twenty birds.
I have considered not letting them all out at the same time (although safety in numbers it very true and will be a factor). My theory is that since they tend to follow one another; (i.e. if one birds flies down, the other take note and often follow suit). If I leave some birds in aviary, it may make it more attractive to those outside to come down and trap. It’s early days yet so I trying to be patient. Thanks again.

#4 ·
droppers!!!!!!!!!!!! aka flashy pigeons that trap so other birds come in for instence get a figurita sattinette owl or even a fantail teach it to trap and when those birds are on the wire walk 20 feet away from the trap with the dropper then let dropper fly to the trap and go in then the homers willn follow and even if there not settled tie the fancys wings and set it on landing board and it will walk throught the trap same concept hope this help

#5 ·
Thanks Tipllers Rule, interesting solution and in line with the reply I wrote to Spirit Wings. I prefer to ensure that my four birds leave the loft together in the hope that they will stay together when they fly; my problem is that there are no birds in the loft for them to come back to and rejoin. Hopefully when I have more birds I can release half of them and keep the rest in for the fliers to see when they come back. I will definitely keep the birds left in the loft 'on show' as you suggested to entice the fliers back in.
Thanks again.

#8 ·
How much do you feed them? if you want them to trap when called don't give them more than 1 tbl spoon a day per bird. When they land on the pole go give it a rap with a hammer, a bow and arrow with a tennis ball on the end, don't let them land till they are tired. You may have to put a little feed on the loft but you need to stop them from landing any place but the loft. I only let my birds land on the loft, if they go any place else I send them a pop bottle rocket. Just make sure you reward them when they land on the loft.
Dave

#10 ·
You can't over feed them and expect them to listen, you need to get them really hungry for a couple of days and don't let them out for a week. slowly increase the feed until you are feeding them about an ounce each by weeks end, call them every time you feed them, they will learn to listen to you. never withhold water, just feed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bo2bwElCJiw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.