2011 2nd Annual Pigeon-Talk Classic - Page 16 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 26th November 2010, 11:35 PM
Might just give the top 3 of the training races points. Not the rewards of the A or B but something. This would reward the birds in form. You could also do Champion bird, Average speed bird, Champion loft or team. Give the trophy to the most points, but also have some side awards. Best looking, fastest, slowest, best two bird team etc.
Advertisement

Posted 27th November 2010, 04:39 AM

winners

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillfamilyloft View Post
Might just give the top 3 of the training races points. Not the rewards of the A or B but something. This would reward the birds in form. You could also do Champion bird, Average speed bird, Champion loft or team. Give the trophy to the most points, but also have some side awards. Best looking, fastest, slowest, best two bird team etc.

I was thinking along the same line. You can have more then one classification and keep track of all the birds flight times. I am sure it will be more work on Toms part but since it is all for fun, even the trainers should be tallied for totals in the PT race. Somehow I think this would be fare even if they don't win in a combine. >Kevin
Posted 27th November 2010, 09:08 AM
Ha Ha

Leave it to a bunch of racing pigeon enthusiast to make something simple into something complicated.

Maybe we should just do the season as Flapdoodle described, but those surviving birds at the end, could be taken by him (or someone) for a 300 mile toss, and they only race against themselves/ourselves. This could determine the trophy winner. I could pay for the gas for the PT one loft race, if needed. But Tom (or whomever) would have to donate their time and effort for the toss drive.

But throughout the regular season, updates could let us know how all the birds are doing in the combine competition, and which ones "disappear".

Thus, it would come down to a true one loft race, with all being equal for all of our birds. No club or combine birds to "mess it up and make us look bad".

We would then get to see how our birds match up with the combines birds over the season, and yet have our own one loft race and winner. That last "PT birds only" race might have 80 birds in it, or 20.

So....we have our cake and eat it too.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by conditionfreak; 27th November 2010 at 09:10 AM..

Posted 27th November 2010, 06:18 PM

The Moment You All Have Been Waiting For !!

I would thank my wife for helping me become famous once again. I also would like to thank ConditionFreak for donating the trophy. And of course I would like to thank Flapdoodle for holding this event, and making this all possible.

The winning bird "Vanilla Ice" was awarded to Allen Smith of Quiet Time Loft. Allen was one of the participants in our 2007 National Testing Program, and he had exceeded all of our expectations in terms of reporting. We are confident that Vanilla Ice will make a fine addition to the current stock of SFL birds already at Quiet Time Loft.

This first You Tube Clip shows Karen Smith with Vanilla Ice and her Trophy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_fBcW0_EM

This You Tube clip shows Vanilla Ice with her new owner !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGyMsv6qZY8

Last edited by SmithFamilyLoft; 27th November 2010 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Posted 27th November 2010, 06:26 PM
Your wife is pretty!

The bird is pretty!

The trophy is pretty, too!

It is just me or you both look younger in the video than your signature picture?

"I like to believe in people."
Jonathan Kent, Smallville

Last edited by RodSD; 27th November 2010 at 06:30 PM..
Posted 27th November 2010, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodSD View Post
Your wife is pretty!

The bird is pretty!

It is just me or you both look younger in the video than your signature picture?
Thank you !

Yep the wife is a looker !

And I had a beard in the photo so that made me look older. Funny how at one stage in your life you want to look more mature. And then later on, you try to do everything to look younger then what you are. We were born in the 1950's so we ain't really old folks and we ain't kids either !
Posted 27th November 2010, 06:57 PM
Exclamation

Poor Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodSD View Post
Your wife is pretty!

The bird is pretty!

I see you left poor Warren out of the pretty list. You could of said he looked Pretty Good. LOL
Posted 27th November 2010, 07:01 PM
Warren
Ask Karen if she is sending birds this year.
Posted 27th November 2010, 07:20 PM
Are you sure Vanilla Ice is a girl? Or am I just seeing things when I thought I saw blue feathers on a red grizzle?

Nice videos, and congrats to all three of you

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 27th November 2010, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Are you sure Vanilla Ice is a girl? Or am I just seeing things when I thought I saw blue feathers on a red grizzle?

Nice videos, and congrats to all three of you
I don't think I saw any blue feathers on this bird, but we will have to ask Allen of Quiet Time Loft when he gets home. I think Allen will agree that with the Smith birds, the males look very male and the females look very female. He commented that when you walk into his loft, you can tell right away which pigeons are the Smith birds. I have been fooled in the past, but I am pretty darn sure that we are looking at a girl pigeon here.
Posted 27th November 2010, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithFamilyLoft View Post
I would thank my wife for helping me become famous once again. I also would like to thank ConditionFreak for donating the trophy. And of course I would like to thank Flapdoodle for holding this event, and making this all possible.

The winning bird "Vanilla Ice" was awarded to Allen Smith of Quiet Time Loft. Allen was one of the participants in our 2007 National Testing Program, and he had exceeded all of expectations in terms of reporting. We are confident that Vanilla Ice will make a fine addition to the current stock of SFL birds already at Quiet Time Loft.

Thank you for posting the videos. I was curious to see what kind of bird excels in this race and like the saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words. Also seeing this hens color for me dispels the myth of white pigeons being "hawkbait".
Thats a very nice trophy as well, that was very cool of conditionfreak to donate it.
I wish you returning champions good luck in the 2011 race but I hope to get one of those trophies as well next year.
Posted 27th November 2010, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithFamilyLoft View Post

The winning bird "Vanilla Ice" was awarded to Allen Smith of Quiet Time Loft. Allen was one of the participants in our 2007 National Testing Program, and he had exceeded all of expectations in terms of reporting. We are confident that Vanilla Ice will make a fine addition to the current stock of SFL birds already at Quiet Time Loft.

looks like your wife didnt want to make a video!
Posted 27th November 2010, 11:22 PM
Oh the humility of it all.

Not only was I beat by a girl. I was beat by a white pigeon!

To top it all, the winning bird was picked because it was "pretty". By a person that doesn't even know how to hold a racing pigeon.

Maybe that is what I am doing wrong. I should be hugging them and picking out the pretty ones.

Oh the humility....

Gonna go out to my loft and put some pretty breeders together. Ha Ha

Reminds me of when my younger brother and I were kids. Our father took us to a horse race track and told us both to pick a horse to bet on. My brother picked a horse that was 100 to 1 to win. My father said, Ricky, that horse has no chance. Why did you pick it? My brother Ricky said "because it has the longest tail".

Yep. You gessed it. That horse won. Ha Ha

Hey Warren. My wife says you won because you are Smiths. She is a Smith. She says Smiths are better than Thomas'.

It just keeps getting worse and worse down here. I HAVE to win this next one. To regain my manhood.

Last edited by conditionfreak; 27th November 2010 at 11:25 PM..
Posted 28th November 2010, 12:03 AM
For the record....it really is not a "White" pigeon....you can't really tell from the video, as it was too dark inside, and too cold outside, but it was a very lite silver, (ok red bar) but the bars are nearly invisible.

I also tried "educating" Karen on how to hold a pigeon....forget about it....in her defense, there were four cats in the room, including a 25 pound Tom Cat, named Ole Sammy, I rescued as a baby from under the pigeon loft. She felt it better to hold the bird close and be safe. But, I am looking into this new theory of picking "pretty ones" and hugging them a couple times a day ! I understand it works on wives as well !!!

I got a kick out of the longest tail theory....problem with those things when they win, you can't really argue with sucess. Cause to be honest, this is not the first time she picked a winner. Had I listened to her, I would have sent a couple other "pretty" ones (sisters to this Vanilla Ice) to the Winners Cup and Flamingo, and from the race results they had on the club level, I think I would have done better then my selections that I sent, so maybe there is something to it. Problem is, if she gets too good at picking winners, I don't know if my fragile ego could withstand it !

As far as the Smith's go...there is a good reason why there are so many of us. You see females are attracted to the winners. And when the females discover the Smith's, well you end up with a lot of little Smith's and the process starts all over again.

Fortunately, you can increase your odds of winning, and you don't have to change your name, you can simply acquire some of those Smith pigeons and then you to can enjoy this wonderful sport of ours. Just make sure you have a pretty wife helping you pick your race entires !

I did the best I could to help you win the next one Conditonfreak, I stepped back from this next event to give you a sporting or at least a fighting chance ! Now ya know humility is not my strong suit.....if I was to enter again and have my wife pick yet another winner, why I don't think either of us could effectively deal with it. It might just cause us to quit pigeons or something !
Posted 28th November 2010, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTown Racers View Post
looks like your wife didnt want to make a video!
Naw....she is just a lot more self conscious then I am. She worries that maybe a hair could be out of place or something....where as I am very comfortable having my image recorded for future generations ! I think it was when I told her that perhaps as many as 1,000,000 people from around the world may see her image that she began to get a bit nervous.

Tags
pigeon-talk classic