2011 2nd Annual Pigeon-Talk Classic - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Flapdoodle Flapdoodle is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 01:35 PM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: United States
Location: Newcastle, CA
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Pete View Post
I don't think I like the idea of a raffle some body would get to send an extra 2 birds, that changes the odds a bit too much. Well unless I win the raffle then it would be ok.
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
I was also wondering if we were going to raffle extra spaces like we did last year?
No raffle, each member can send two birds.

We may do a lottery if we have too many folks. I made an executive decision in the event of a lottery. Anyone that sent birds this year, if they choose to participate, is automatically eligible for next year. All the other spots will be by lottery.

After I get a loft done I will get an online entry form set up like last year. We can get a better idea of the actual numbers involved.

All of this will decided before any birds or money are sent. This is still a work in progress... patience please . After all it is only November


Reply With Quote
conditionfreak conditionfreak is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 03:22 PM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Ohio. Just east of Cincinnati.
Posts: 2,852
November!

Oh my goodness.

I have to figure out my pairings. Buy some disposable breeding bowls. Get some more meds. Collect some pine needles and straw. Build one more breeding box. etc, etc.

All the while, shopping for Christmas. Not to mention that it is getting colder and darker every day, and that I am moving slower and slower every year.

I better get on the stick. Not enough time left if you ask me.

I like that no one will have more than two birds in the competition. I also like that those who participated in the first event, can not lose a spot in this event, to someone just getting on board.

I have some concerns about the number of birds to the races being limited by club entry limits. But I don't have any ideas about how else to manage that problem. Since it is based on combine points earned and not ypm by the PT competitor birds (because that way, even those just going on the training truck could actually earn points). But your initial ideas are well thought out. I have had birds do poorly in training and well in a race, and vice-versa (we all have, I'm sure).

But, like you said. A work in progress. There is no doubt in my mind, that things will change by next seasons racing dates. Always does. Unless there is big money involved. Then one has to go strickly by the initial rules.

Let's keep this for fun and bragging rights. Because I see year three becoming about winning money. That is one thing that, in my opinion, has hurt this sport. Hurt it more than having to scrape pigoen poo.

So, ON WITH THE RACES....oops. I mean, ON WITH THE BREEDING.
Reply With Quote
g0ldenb0y55's Avatar
g0ldenb0y55 g0ldenb0y55 is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 03:55 PM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 2,679
I'll take Warrens spot since he's not participating this year!

All jokes aside, participants from last year should have first dibs. If they were all to participate this year how many spots would be available for the lottery? I cant' remember what the final number of breeders was for this years race.

As for birds being left out of the races that is completely up to you to decide in my opinion. I myself, would want to send the best of the best each time and your current process of elimination works for me if your going for champion loft. I know that we have had birds do horrible on the training toss and do well in the actual races but how else would a bird be judged for a spot in the race in the situation where we have a full house? That's a tough one to call but I like your idea on this.....I hope that we can help you win champion loft with our birds!
__________________

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15
Reply With Quote
 
hillfamilyloft's Avatar
hillfamilyloft hillfamilyloft is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 04:09 PM
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Farmingon New Mexico
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
November!

Oh my goodness.

I have to figure out my pairings. Buy some disposable breeding bowls. Get some more meds. Collect some pine needles and straw. Build one more breeding box. etc, etc.

All the while, shopping for Christmas. Not to mention that it is getting colder and darker every day, and that I am moving slower and slower every year.

I better get on the stick. Not enough time left if you ask me.

I like that no one will have more than two birds in the competition. I also like that those who participated in the first event, can not lose a spot in this event, to someone just getting on board.

I have some concerns about the number of birds to the races being limited by club entry limits. But I don't have any ideas about how else to manage that problem. Since it is based on combine points earned and not ypm by the PT competitor birds (because that way, even those just going on the training truck could actually earn points). But your initial ideas are well thought out. I have had birds do poorly in training and well in a race, and vice-versa (we all have, I'm sure).

But, like you said. A work in progress. There is no doubt in my mind, that things will change by next seasons racing dates. Always does. Unless there is big money involved. Then one has to go strickly by the initial rules.

Let's keep this for fun and bragging rights. Because I see year three becoming about winning money. That is one thing that, in my opinion, has hurt this sport. Hurt it more than having to scrape pigoen poo.

So, ON WITH THE RACES....oops. I mean, ON WITH THE BREEDING.
Thats why I breed first of Feb. Count me in, someone has to beat Warren's Wife. My best will be in the box.
__________________
www.hillfamilyloft.com
Reply With Quote
Crazy Pete Crazy Pete is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 04:29 PM
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,760
Thats why I breed first of Feb. Count me in, someone has to beat Warren's Wife. My best will be in the box.
__________________
Its just to bad for you they will be flying under Beckys name.lol
Dave
Reply With Quote
g0ldenb0y55's Avatar
g0ldenb0y55 g0ldenb0y55 is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 04:42 PM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 2,679
First of Feb is my thinking too...hope I get a spot. I didn't participate for the last race so I'm banking on a lottery spot.
__________________

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15
Reply With Quote
Crazy Pete Crazy Pete is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 06:02 PM
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,760
Last year there were only 33 PT birds and some people sent 3 if that is an indication we should be ok.
Dave
Reply With Quote
Timber's Avatar
Timber Timber is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 06:03 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 463
Count Me In For 2011 !!
Reply With Quote
g0ldenb0y55's Avatar
g0ldenb0y55 g0ldenb0y55 is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 06:04 PM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 2,679
That sounds promising, thanks Dave.
__________________

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15
Reply With Quote
conditionfreak conditionfreak is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 06:37 PM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Ohio. Just east of Cincinnati.
Posts: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Pete View Post
Last year there were only 33 PT birds and some people sent 3 if that is an indication we should be ok.
Dave
You are crazy. You sign your name Dave, but you are Pete.

Crazy man.... Crazy.
Reply With Quote
SouthTown Racers's Avatar
SouthTown Racers SouthTown Racers is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 08:39 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,359
The reason I backed out last year was because I found out that my wife was pregnant. Its kinda funny that today my daughter was born and Im on here reserving a spot.
__________________
http://www.southtownracers.com/
Reply With Quote
Pigeon0446's Avatar
Pigeon0446 Pigeon0446 is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 08:55 PM
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Long Island, Ny
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
I have some concerns about the number of birds to the races being limited by club entry limits. But I don't have any ideas about how else to manage that problem. Since it is based on combine points earned and not ypm by the PT competitor birds (because that way, even those just going on the training truck could actually earn points). But your initial ideas are well thought out. I have had birds do poorly in training and well in a race, and vice-versa (we all have, I'm sure).
Thats how my best birds have been over the past few years they never showed anything in training and even maybe the first few races. But then have come on to be up near close to top of the points list in the club. Like my bird this year who wound up winning champion bird in my club the first 4 weeks of the season he didn't even do anything. But then we got to the longer races 200 miles or more and he was in the top 10 in the club for 4 races in a row 2 200's a 250 and a 300. Now that bird if he was there he might have never got his chance because of his poor results to start the season. I had another bird who would be the first bird home on almost every training toss and I only clocked her as my first bird in a race once.
__________________
Winner of the 2011 Young Birds IF Hall of Fame.
Winner of the 2013 Young Birds IF Champion Loft 76 to 150 Lofts.

Check Out my Clubs website see if your interested in any of the races sponsored by my club.
WWW.LindenhurstHPC.COM
Reply With Quote
g0ldenb0y55's Avatar
g0ldenb0y55 g0ldenb0y55 is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 09:15 PM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon0446 View Post
Thats how my best birds have been over the past few years they never showed anything in training and even maybe the first few races. But then have come on to be up near close to top of the points list in the club. Like my bird this year who wound up winning champion bird in my club the first 4 weeks of the season he didn't even do anything. But then we got to the longer races 200 miles or more and he was in the top 10 in the club for 4 races in a row 2 200's a 250 and a 300. Now that bird if he was there he might have never got his chance because of his poor results to start the season. I had another bird who would be the first bird home on almost every training toss and I only clocked her as my first bird in a race once.
I feel you man, that's a tough call if you planned on sending birds in the same family of your champion bird. What other way would be fair though?
__________________

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15
Reply With Quote
SouthTown Racers's Avatar
SouthTown Racers SouthTown Racers is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 09:29 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon0446 View Post
Thats how my best birds have been over the past few years they never showed anything in training and even maybe the first few races. But then have come on to be up near close to top of the points list in the club. Like my bird this year who wound up winning champion bird in my club the first 4 weeks of the season he didn't even do anything. But then we got to the longer races 200 miles or more and he was in the top 10 in the club for 4 races in a row 2 200's a 250 and a 300. Now that bird if he was there he might have never got his chance because of his poor results to start the season. I had another bird who would be the first bird home on almost every training toss and I only clocked her as my first bird in a race once.
Didnt you say that you had a very late start training your birds? I have only raced 2 yb seasons. One question I have is why are my birds horrible the first couple of races? Other guys in my club train less, but have better results on race day. There has to be something im missing. As the season goes on, they keep climbing the ladder, but the first two races drop my ave. speed big time. I think I placed 4th ave speed in our combine this yr but could have been alot better with a couple faster 125's
__________________
http://www.southtownracers.com/
Reply With Quote
Flapdoodle Flapdoodle is offline
Posted 8th November 2010, 09:38 PM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: United States
Location: Newcastle, CA
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Pete View Post
Last year there were only 33 PT birds and some people sent 3 if that is an indication we should be ok.
Dave
33 birds, 13 breeders. If everyone signed back up that leaves 37 spots. I don't know that will will get everyone back. We will have to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTown Racers View Post
The reason I backed out last year was because I found out that my wife was pregnant. Its kinda funny that today my daughter was born and Im on here reserving a spot.
Congrats on the baby!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pigeon-talk classic


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2000-2016 pigeons.biz