2011 2nd Annual Pigeon-Talk Classic - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 7th November 2010, 10:14 PM

2011 2nd Annual Pigeon-Talk Classic

I hope the polls were not too frustrating. The idea behind them was mainly to see about how many people were thinking about participating as well as get some feed back. I didn’t intend for the group to necessarily decide what to do. It looks like we could have around 50 members participate, which is great. I know life happens and don’t know if we will get that many, but if we do great.

As far as the polls this is what I am thinking. No auction, no buy back, but I am not going to be able to do it for free. As was mentioned in one of the posts I will be saving a ton of time and money not having breeders and the work associated with them. I also do not have an old bird team. 100% of my time and $ I have to allocate to pigeons will be spent on the young bird team. With the exception of a pair of white birds, I have 0 pigeons. The reason I am going this route and just fly others birds to save time for the other important things in my life.

I have two options, #1 Go the club route or #2 the forum route. The guys in my club are interested in having me fly their birds. It would be cool to do this same thing at the club level we did here last year. Each guy sends a team of four. Pool the birds each week. I would not have to post anything anywhere. The guys can just look at the results each week. There is no way I would collect a fee for doing this nor do I think they would pay. Out of the two options going the club route would be a lot easier. No videos, posting updates, messing around at the post office picking up and shipping birds, or the stress of having to report lost or sick birds in the forum.

I think it is fun on the forum. Like I said before I want to do it. I enjoy the videos, stuff like the pretty pigeon show, but it is a lot of extra work.

Here is what I am able to do next year:

• Two bird limit per breeder, $20 dollar per two bird team, nonrefundable, no replacements.
  • Have birds shipped to me around 30 days old.
  • Birds accepted anytime the weeks of March 21, 28, April 4, or 11.
  • You pay to ship the birds to/from my loft, If money to ship the birds back is not received within two weeks after the last race the bird becomes my property.
  • The winner of the Pigeon Talk Classic will be the bird who scores the most points in the combine for the season.
  • The entry cap is going to be 50 two bird teams.

The $20 will be sent with the birds or sent prior to that to secure your spot. I am going to build a new loft. I will not accept any money until the loft is complete.

We have a couple junior members that want to participate in 2011. A few generous donations that have not been made yet will allow those junior members to participate for free. If you are interested in donating or are a junior member wishing to participate send me a PM.

I will throw this out there one last time. If anyone else is interested in hosting this year shoot me a PM and I will retract this post and fly club birds.

You should start to see some loft construction photos around the holidays. Any questions post away… This will be a lot of fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th November 2010, 10:18 PM
Good on you, Tom! Let's see what happens from here. Thank you so very, very much for all your efforts on the 2010 Pigeon-Talk Classic and the upcoming 2011!

Terry
Posted 7th November 2010, 10:47 PM
That is very promising Tom, looking forward to that,thank you for hosting this 2011 classic,hope the pros and cons would chill down a bit ....

Last edited by bloodlines_365; 7th November 2010 at 10:49 PM..

Posted 8th November 2010, 08:56 AM
I'm in! Where do I send the $20 to secure my spot!

This thread should be a sticky so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle....

Edit: I'm donating a PT Classic 2011 Champions Portrait to the winning bird.

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15

Last edited by g0ldenb0y55; 8th November 2010 at 10:36 AM..
Posted 8th November 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm in as well, I can't wait! I guess I am considered a junior member, but I'm fine either way.

I'll donate a handmade 'trophy' to the winner

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 8th November 2010, 09:33 AM
count me in!!!
Posted 8th November 2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
I'm in as well, I can't wait! I guess I am considered a junior member, but I'm fine either way.

I'll donate a handmade 'trophy' to the winner
If you want to have som fun, make that a hand made trophy to the "prettiest bird" winner. Since the racing winner will already be getting another trophy.

Just a thought.

P.S. I would be honored to donate for the junior member MaryofExeter. Or another if she is not okay with that. We need more flyers from the younger generation. Our combine lost three this past season. They just quit due to other interests and/or financial situations.

Last edited by conditionfreak; 8th November 2010 at 09:52 AM..
Posted 8th November 2010, 10:44 AM
I'd be interested in sending a team to this race. I'm currently deployed but should be back in time to pair the breeders up and get YB's sent. Let me know what's required to reserve a spot. Access to the internet is limited but should be able to check occasionally.
Posted 8th November 2010, 10:51 AM
How would we go about reserving spots for this race just in case we have more than 50 participants?

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15
Posted 8th November 2010, 10:58 AM
Alright then I can do the prettiest bird, if there will be a prettiest bird competition this year.

And I'm fine with you donating for me and I appreciate it a lot. It's really sad that you lost junior members this year. I'm the only one in my combine, other than a boy a couple years younger who races with his grandpa.

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 8th November 2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapdoodle View Post
[*]The winner of the Pigeon Talk Classic will be the bird who scores the most points in the combine for the season.
I have a question if you take in 100 birds like planned and say you wind up having a good training period and you have most of the birds left for the races. How will you pick which birds are gonna go each week? Even if you lose half of the 100 birds you'll still have 50 birds and you only have 2 races each week with 20 bird limits so thats only 40 birds who can go to a race each week.

Check Out my Clubs website see if your interested in any of the races sponsored by my club.
WWW.LindenhurstHPC.COM
Posted 8th November 2010, 12:45 PM
That's a good question. I didn't think about that.

I was also wondering if we were going to raffle extra spaces like we did last year?

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 8th November 2010, 12:49 PM
I would like to take part of this exciting event.
Posted 8th November 2010, 01:13 PM
I don't think I like the idea of a raffle some body would get to send an extra 2 birds, that changes the odds a bit too much. Well unless I win the raffle then it would be ok.
Dave
Posted 8th November 2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon0446 View Post
I have a question if you take in 100 birds like planned and say you wind up having a good training period and you have most of the birds left for the races. How will you pick which birds are gonna go each week? Even if you lose half of the 100 birds you'll still have 50 birds and you only have 2 races each week with 20 bird limits so thats only 40 birds who can go to a race each week.
“The Cream Will Rise To The Top”
On my end that is a good problem to have. For those of you sending birds I guess it may not be very good.

My take on it: In a one-loft race, the goal is ship as many to the race as you can (collect those race fees). Racing as we are doing in a club and combine you want select and race the best birds. The larger the pool you are selecting from the better. It is kind of like holding tryouts for the school football team. A perspective coach wants as many players as possible to show up at tryouts.

For the first race, I will take the results from two or three training tosses over 60 miles. I will take the best 40 birds clocked and enter every other one in the A or B race. The rest of the birds will go to the race and be released as trainers. For the second race, any bird entered and did not clock in good time in the first race will lose their spot. Any spots remaining in the forty I can send to the second race will be filled by the trapping order from the trainers and maybe a training toss that week.

I want to win champion loft, to do that we need to score as many points as we can. It is within my best interest to send the best birds. As the coach, I could deviate from the above if a player says send me this is my race. I reserve the right to make changes to the line up if I feel that is best. In addition, if I get a bird that has done well but in a bad molt position either molting flights or a bad head molt I will bench them for a race if I feel that is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Alright then I can do the prettiest bird, if there will be a prettiest bird competition this year.
We have to have the prettiest bird contest that is a tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ldenb0y55 View Post
How would we go about reserving spots for this race just in case we have more than 50 participants?
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ldenb0y55 View Post
I'm in! Where do I send the $20 to secure my spot!
My plan is a loft with five 8x8 sections, each section with a 4' aviary/landing board. I could fit 30 birds easy in each section, that is 160 birds. I don't see that happening. 100 birds is a huge amount to manage so that is where I put the cap. Last year we had less then half those that expressed interest send birds. I hope this year to allow anyone that wants to participate send birds. If we have many more then 50 actually wanting to send birds we may have to rethink this. Maybe a lottery or something. I will not take any money until after the loft is mostly done and we have a plan in place if we get more the fifty wanting in.

Tags
pigeon-talk classic