Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 2nd March 2012, 03:28 PM

Feed Wheat?

Does anyone use feed wheat in place of barley? I did some research on the nutritional data and they seem to be close as far as the protein, fat, and carbohydrate ratios go. Reason I'm asking is that this year the feed store isn't carrying any barley but the feed wheat is available at both stores.

Posted 2nd March 2012, 03:48 PM
My fantails have lived one wheat straight from the grower and chicken layer crumble from the co op for 3 years now. No problems what so ever. The person I got the fantails from fed them scratch feed(cracked corn and wheat mixed) and layer crumble.All the feed stores around me said they had to order pigeon feed and had minium of a pallet at a time. I can not use that much in no shape or form. I give them treats of millet and other grains I mix for my other birds.
Posted 2nd March 2012, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyrobber View Post
My fantails have lived one wheat straight from the grower and chicken layer crumble from the co op for 3 years now. No problems what so ever. The person I got the fantails from fed them scratch feed(cracked corn and wheat mixed) and layer crumble.All the feed stores around me said they had to order pigeon feed and had minium of a pallet at a time. I can not use that much in no shape or form. I give them treats of millet and other grains I mix for my other birds.
Thanks, but I am looking for the racing effects of wheat vs barley. If you are just raising pigeons then any scratch feed with some grit and mineral supplements will pretty much do it.
Posted 2nd March 2012, 07:30 PM
I think CBS uses wheat in replace of Barley. Go to their websites and look at some of the videos update Rick Mardis mentioned about using wheat.
Posted 3rd March 2012, 04:04 PM
Hard red wheat is a great feed , this is the breakdown for wheat: Protein 15, Cards 70, water 10, fibre2.6, fat 1.8.

Barley , P= 12.7, Carbs =66, water 10.6, fib 5.4, fat 1.8.

I have a hard time getting my birds to eat barley but when I have time before shipping for a race I give safflower + wheat to load the birds with carbs and fat for energy.

I do mix wheat in my feed every day too. Its never left in the feeder.
Posted 17th March 2012, 12:20 AM
Hello Eric K. Do you know if the testing on these grains are done by weight or by volume? I am thinking two handful of barely =one hand full of wheat. Fiber: 2.6 +2.6=5.2 Wheat has 5.4 Thanks.
Posted 17th March 2012, 12:02 PM
Good question. This is what is printed on the grain calculator : To mix your own feed enter the amounts for each grain required. These amounts are only figures they could be ounces, pounds, or kilos ect. The resulting amounts will give you a accurate composition of the grains you are feeding your birds. Any additions you may require contact r.frayne@ntlworld.com.

I don't know if that helps but your question has me thinking my mix is off some because I measure the different grains with a 3 quart scoop, not by weight.
Posted 18th March 2012, 02:02 AM
wheat is a great grain, but pigeons need fat grains also for energy.
Posted 18th March 2012, 11:26 AM

feed wheat

Hello. I use reclaimed (r/c) wheat. Is that feed wheat? What is feed wheat? Thank you.
Posted 18th March 2012, 04:10 PM
do you mean " re-cleaned" wheat, thats is a hard red wheat and it is a good type of wheat to feed.
Posted 18th March 2012, 08:30 PM
what about red wheat?
Posted 18th March 2012, 09:17 PM
Hard Red Spring – Hard, brownish, high-protein wheat used for bread and hard baked goods. Bread Flour and high-gluten flours are commonly made from hard red spring wheat. It is primarily traded at the Minneapolis Grain Exchange.
Hard Red Winter – Hard, brownish, mellow high-protein wheat used for bread, hard baked goods and as an adjunct in other flours to increase protein in pastry flour for pie crusts. Some brands of unbleached all-purpose flours are commonly made from hard red winter wheat alone. It is primarily traded by the Kansas City Board of Trade. One variety is known as "turkey red wheat", and was brought to Kansas by Mennonite immigrants from Russia.[41]
Soft Red Winter – Soft, low-protein wheat used for cakes, pie crusts, biscuits, and muffins. Cake flour, pastry flour, and some self-rising flours with baking powder and salt added, for example, are made from soft red winter wheat. It is primarily traded by the Chicago Board of Trade.
Hard White – Hard, light-colored, opaque, chalky, medium-protein wheat planted in dry, temperate areas. Used for bread and brewing.
Soft White – Soft, light-colored, very low protein wheat grown in temperate moist areas. Used for pie crusts and pastry. Pastry flour, for example, is sometimes made from soft white winter wheat.

Red wheats may need bleaching; therefore, white wheats usually command higher prices than red wheats on the commodities market.
Posted 20th March 2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird loft View Post
Does anyone use feed wheat in place of barley? I did some research on the nutritional data and they seem to be close as far as the protein, fat, and carbohydrate ratios go. Reason I'm asking is that this year the feed store isn't carrying any barley but the feed wheat is available at both stores.
Well, you can't feed what you don't have. My loft manager has fed his teams a good amount of wheat for years and feeds no barley. So go with what quality grains are available.
Posted 20th March 2012, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC K View Post
Hard red wheat is a great feed , this is the breakdown for wheat: Protein 15, Cards 70, water 10, fibre2.6, fat 1.8.

Barley , P= 12.7, Carbs =66, water 10.6, fib 5.4, fat 1.8.

I have a hard time getting my birds to eat barley but when I have time before shipping for a race I give safflower + wheat to load the birds with carbs and fat for energy.

I do mix wheat in my feed every day too. Its never left in the feeder.
Erik, where do you get this great information on different grains?
Posted 20th March 2012, 07:11 AM
its a grain composition calcuator, and its a free down load and this is the link:

http:www.racingbirds.com/feed.html

Thanks to Sunset Racing Pigeon Loft, Quebec Canada

Tags
racing, training