Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 24th May 2011, 09:44 PM

Hawk Attack

Today I had one of my young birds return from loft flying and I saw some red under its wing..I caught it and it had 2 deep puncture wounds under its wing on its right side. I did not find any more wounds on the bird.

I brought the yb inside and bathed it in my sink and cleaned out the wound. I poured some hydrogen peroxide over the holes to rinse out any infection. I would guesstimate these punctures to be almost 1/2" deep. I put some triple antibiotic (generic neosporin) over the holes and returned the bird back to the loft.

My question is with puncture wounds how do you handle these kinds of injuries so they do not scar and impair the birds ability to fly? This yb is impressive to escape whatever had a death grip on it and return home like it did. I would like to do whatever I can to help it recover back to 100%.

I did have it separate (quarantined) from the the other birds but this yb was flipping out wanting back in the loft so I caved in and let it take its perch back.

Posted 24th May 2011, 10:15 PM
They recover fast! As long as no bones broke and can fly the usual I wont worry about it. Obviously don't fly the bird until it is fully recovered. If you do the injured bird flies slow and vulnerable for another target attack. When bone(s) break(s) in their wings somehow their performance lessens even after recovery.

Now if the wound is too big, then you have no choice, but to stitch it.

"I like to believe in people."
Jonathan Kent, Smallville
Posted 25th May 2011, 06:39 AM
a pigeons heart beats twice as fast as ours and this gives them the ability to recover from such injuries very quickly.he probably wont want to fly out for a while anyway but antibiotics and two weeks loft rest and he should be fine.
one lucky bird, the experience will do him good in the future.
Posted 25th May 2011, 06:45 AM
Had the same thing happen earlier this year. Treated it just like you did. Took a couple of weeks and it was out flying a little....on the second day it was flying really well I lost it?
Posted 25th May 2011, 01:57 PM
2 weeks of loft rest sounds like a good course of action. I think I'll continue with the triple antibiotics and we'll see how it turns out. Thanx for the feedback.
Posted 25th May 2011, 05:45 PM
Your lucky, I'm a little bummed I was sitting outside with the birds a hawk flew right past me 5 ft over my head and they all went nuts, he didn't get any but he scattered them all. Some it was just their 2nd time out. I was missing 4 last night, got 1 back today still missing 3 I hope they come back.
Posted 25th May 2011, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by First To Hatch View Post
Your lucky, I'm a little bummed I was sitting outside with the birds a hawk flew right past me 5 ft over my head and they all went nuts, he didn't get any but he scattered them all. Some it was just their 2nd time out. I was missing 4 last night, got 1 back today still missing 3 I hope they come back.
This year on my young birds first flight out I had two hawks hit my loft and I lost 4 youngbirds that day two got eaten and two were fly offs . It was very sad but for now the hawks are busy with wild prey so I was able to introduce 3 others and they are still here and I plan On introduceing at least 12 more when the time is right . Good Luck !!
Posted 14th June 2011, 05:55 PM

lighting strikes twice

The bird with the puncture wounds I previously posted here was AU 2011 JAX 2621.

This evening I had its nest mate come home AU 2011 JAX 2622 with no tail feathers and punctures through its wings and into its sides and back.

Yesterday, I did a short loft fly about 45 minutes before sundown. It started to rain almost 15 minutes after I released them and the birds scattered.

Some trapped in, Some went and laid out on top of the aviary and others shot up into the trees. After the rain shower passed I was able to call most of them in.

My question is a homer without a single feather on its tail (a bald rump) could all its tail feathers grow back by September? or should I just use this lucky survivor as my loft dropper?
Posted 14th June 2011, 06:15 PM
I believe they will come back in that amount of time. If memory serves me well, I had one in a similar situation and they grew back in less time.

If nothing else, they should be back in time for the later races, and it is still alive, and presumably a lot wiser.
Posted 14th June 2011, 06:28 PM
In reference to the bird with the two puncture wounds. Are you confident that it was not buckshot from a shotgun? It is unusual for a bird to escape a hawk that gets its talons into a pigeon. But it does happen.

I had a bird come back from a 150 mile race (actually it won the Combine that race) , and it had blood on the underside of one wing. I thought it was injured on the wing. But I took it to a vet. and had him check it and there was just blood on the wing and no injury there. But the bird was limping on that side and also had a difficult time flying. The vet x-rayed the bird and found one #10 buckshot in the birds side/chest area. The blood on the wing was actually from this spot and got on the wing as the bird flapped while coming home. But the puncture hole in its chest/side area was not observable and did not have blood on it when I checked it myself, strangely.

Someone apparently shot it during the race. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. Probably a dove hunter.

Check yours to see if maybe it is shot. My vets decision was that we should just leave the buckshot there and the bord would probably be okay. (Unfortunately the bird was killed by a dog, while sunbathing on the ground, a week after that).
Posted 14th June 2011, 07:39 PM
I have 2 birds that attract hawks often. I suppose predators detect the weakest of the bunch. It must be family related weakness thing. If you fly your sprint birds together with your slow long distance birds, the predators will most likely target the long distance birds.

Tail feathers or for that matter flight feathers probably can grow full size in about 8-12 weeks or more.

"I like to believe in people."
Jonathan Kent, Smallville
Posted 14th June 2011, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
In reference to the bird with the two puncture wounds. Are you confident that it was not buckshot from a shotgun? It is unusual for a bird to escape a hawk that gets its talons into a pigeon. But it does happen.

I had a bird come back from a 150 mile race (actually it won the Combine that race) , and it had blood on the underside of one wing. I thought it was injured on the wing. But I took it to a vet. and had him check it and there was just blood on the wing and no injury there. But the bird was limping on that side and also had a difficult time flying. The vet x-rayed the bird and found one #10 buckshot in the birds side/chest area. The blood on the wing was actually from this spot and got on the wing as the bird flapped while coming home. But the puncture hole in its chest/side area was not observable and did not have blood on it when I checked it myself, strangely.

Someone apparently shot it during the race. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. Probably a dove hunter.

Check yours to see if maybe it is shot. My vets decision was that we should just leave the buckshot there and the bord would probably be okay. (Unfortunately the bird was killed by a dog, while sunbathing on the ground, a week after that).
I think tomorrow I will take back my AA batteries from son's toys and take some pictures. I bathed the bird to wash away the blood so I could see the damage done, hopefully I should be able to get some clear pics.
Also I live in the city and if someone fired off a shotgun I am pretty sure I would hear it.
There are owls that visit the trees around me and I suspect that this bird got caught "sleeping". I can't imagine this much damage being done in mid air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodSD View Post
I have 2 birds that attract hawks often. I suppose predators detect the weakest of the bunch. It must be family related weakness thing. If you fly your sprint birds together with your slow long distance birds, the predators will most likely target the long distance birds.

Tail feathers or for that matter flight feathers probably can grow full size in about 8-12 weeks or more.
Interesting twist on these nest mates. I was thinking my loft care and all the supplements (redcell, probios, evo, garlic,brewers yeast, ACV) made these some super strong pigeons able to escape deaths grip. (They have the scars to prove it)
Both have made it home banged up and bleeding. Never occurred to me that they could be flying Hawk bait.

All I can really say now is everyones advice about AU 2011 JAX 2621 was right. That little yb flys well and has been consistently in my first 10 to trap in with the feed whistle.
Posted 15th June 2011, 05:04 AM
You would be surprised the damage a hawk can cause by a single mid air hit,it is ment to kill.
Posted 15th June 2011, 05:52 AM
If the feather is pulled out at the base it will grow back faster. If it is cut off and the base is still intact it will have to wait untill the next molt. Pulling the stump is an option but either do it or dont do it. If you start to pull then quit, infection can take the bird. The worst thing is when the feather is cut off in the blood zone of the quill. It can introduce infection and form a tumor. Very nasty.
Posted 15th June 2011, 12:18 PM
A full tail should grow back in about 6-7 weeks. Flights take longer but tail should be good to go well in time for your September races. Good luck!!

Tags
puncture wounds