Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 8th June 2011, 04:11 AM

My first time letting young birds Loft Fly

This is going to be my first year racing pigeons. I finally got the courage up yesterday to let the young ones out for the first time. They were already trained to the trap and over the past week I had been giving them half portions of food. So around 6 pm yesterday I opened the aviary doors for the first time. For the first minute they just hung around then 10 of them took off. Some flew into the trees and others went way up in the sky after about 40 minutes I tried to call the birds in only the ones hanging out in the aviary and roof of the loft came in. as of this morning my the 10 are still out. I am hoping that when I get back from work today some of them will have decided to come home.

Posted 8th June 2011, 05:47 AM
I hope they make it back for you. How long have the birds been in your loft before you let them out?

I've been whistling when I feed and trap training for about a month. I think mine are almost ready to start flying.

Last edited by Ashby Loft; 13th June 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Posted 8th June 2011, 05:51 AM
I Know how you are feeling. Training YB"s is a true test of one's nerves. We all lose birds when we start to train them.

How old were these birds. Sometimes waiting to long to let them out allows them to get real strong on the wing. When they get their first taste of freedom, all they want to do is fly. Unfortunately when they get up high, being young they get confused and paniced and lose their direction.

This is why it's so important to have a settling cage up on your landing board so they can look around. We usually let our Yb's spend at least a week in the cage, letting them trap for food and getting used to you calling them in. Food is the only motivation you have right now. If any of our youngsters start to get strong on the wing, I soap them. Alot of people don't like to do it, because they are defenseless aginst any hawk attacks. It's imperative that you stay close by as they get their first taste of freedom. It gives them the chance to look around , fly up on the roof alittle to scope thing's out. Soaping holds them down and and gives them the chance to settle, without really getting up in the air.

Then again You can have them all loft flying really well, take them on their first toss and lose half of them. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to training YB"S. It's defintely a test of nerves.

I really hope you get them back, keep an eye out for them. The ones that do make it back learned a good experience and should hold to your loft well.
Wish you the best !!
Posted 8th June 2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingatitagain View Post
I Know how you are feeling. Training YB"s is a true test of one's nerves. We all lose birds when we start to train them.

How old were these birds. Sometimes waiting to long to let them out allows them to get real strong on the wing. When they get their first taste of freedom, all they want to do is fly. Unfortunately when they get up high, being young they get confused and paniced and lose their direction.

This is why it's so important to have a settling cage up on your landing board so they can look around. We usually let our Yb's spend at least a week in the cage, letting them trap for food and getting used to you calling them in. Food is the only motivation you have right now. If any of our youngsters start to get strong on the wing, I soap them. Alot of people don't like to do it, because they are defenseless aginst any hawk attacks. It's imperative that you stay close by as they get their first taste of freedom. It gives them the chance to look around , fly up on the roof alittle to scope thing's out. Soaping holds them down and and gives them the chance to settle, without really getting up in the air.

Then again You can have them all loft flying really well, take them on their first toss and lose half of them. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to training YB"S. It's defintely a test of nerves.

I really hope you get them back, keep an eye out for them. The ones that do make it back learned a good experience and should hold to your loft well.
Wish you the best !!

some of the birds where my birds that I bread this past winter others were given to me. The ones that were given to me have been in the loft for about 1.5 months and the ones that I bread were not the oldest of my youngsters we will see I am about to leave work and see who came home today.
I will keep you all posted Thanks for the thoughts
Posted 8th June 2011, 02:37 PM
Got home and checked only had 2 come back still a couple out there though I have seen them fly by.
I have been feeding them half the portion of food leeding up to there first loft fly. how long should I keep up half portions of food for?
Posted 8th June 2011, 06:10 PM
I would just feed them just in the evening. Let them out, and look around and fly some.Then when you are ready to bring them in, they are coming to your call and are good and hungry. Once they are flying and coming right in you can go back to feeding twice a day.

Remember, right now, food is the only motivation you have. As far as the ones that are still out when you let the others again tomorrow they should come in with them.

Our Yb's have been flying about 2 months now and after they route I don't let them linger for long before I bring them. Sometimes I will let them sit out for 10-15 min and then right in. I always try to be the one in control.

As you learn your birds you will do fine !! Hoping to hear you got the rest of them back.
Posted 8th June 2011, 09:32 PM
As long as they are flying as a group, don't worry. Right now they may not know where to land so those birds that entered your loft would have to be taken outside again the next day to lure the "lost" birds. It seemed that your birds are very (too) strong on the wing.

"I like to believe in people."
Jonathan Kent, Smallville
Posted 8th June 2011, 09:47 PM
What time did you let them out at? Best to do like and hour before sundown. Thats how i do it, feed them at sundown everyday, once a day, and then when i let them out its close to that time so they know not to go anywhere. i did that for 2 or 3 days.
Posted 8th June 2011, 09:55 PM
To me the best time to release the birds is one hour before your usual feed time because of habit they expect food at that particular time. When I loss a bird, it usually comes back during feed time or late in the afternoon before sunset.

I used to do the hour before sundown until I encountered problem where hawk attacks them at those time and those birds get to spend the night away getting lost. In other words, they ran out of time to come back home.

"I like to believe in people."
Jonathan Kent, Smallville
Posted 11th June 2011, 05:52 PM
So I let the birds out for a second time a few days go with no feed in the morning and an hour before feeding time. When I called them back they looked at me like I was crazy. After a while most of them trapped but I have lost 10 since the first time I let them out. So I decided to back track and work on some trapping more. I also think I have been feeding them too much so there feed has been cut down to 1 tablespoon a day. With the less feed the last couple of days they have seemed to be more responsive with trapping. How long do you all think I should go back to the trapping for before I let them out again? Also I still have some flying round the house they will land on the roof of the loft but will not come down and trap. So hopefully they will decide to come in soon.
Posted 11th June 2011, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyfitz View Post
So I let the birds out for a second time a few days go with no feed in the morning and an hour before feeding time. When I called them back they looked at me like I was crazy. After a while most of them trapped but I have lost 10 since the first time I let them out. So I decided to back track and work on some trapping more. I also think I have been feeding them too much so there feed has been cut down to 1 tablespoon a day. With the less feed the last couple of days they have seemed to be more responsive with trapping. How long do you all think I should go back to the trapping for before I let them out again? Also I still have some flying round the house they will land on the roof of the loft but will not come down and trap. So hopefully they will decide to come in soon.

I am dealing with trap training / loft flying my ybs as well. Like you, I was told I was "over feeding" my ybs and this is why they take off like a rocket outa the loft (and don't come back for days).
I've had my ybs on 1/2 rations on Thursday, no feed just water Friday and nothing no feed or water on Saturday and release that evening and still my earlier hatches from January and February took off and I didn't get them all back until Wednesday.

So I decided last week to change up their feed by mixing it 50/50 with rolled Barley...They still get their fill and today it only took me 2 hours to get them all to trap back in. To me they seem like kids in a swimming pool just having too much fun to worry about eating or drinking. If you mix in the Barley you don't have to worry about cutting back their feed. Barley seems to be the last thing the birds like to eat...so you can bet once they figure out if they are late all they are getting is Barley they will trap alot quicker.

Like today, I had a whole group of slackers waiting at the trap to be "first in"..I had to chase them off the landing board with the flag and made them leave and go fly..they did a big circle and came right back...so we'll see tomorrow if they were just really thirsty or don't want to be late to dinner.
Posted 11th June 2011, 08:45 PM
You hatched birds in January and did not fly them till now? Your lucky to have any of them back. They should be in the settleing cage by 6 weeks and in the air by 7 weeks.
Dave
Posted 11th June 2011, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Pete View Post
You hatched birds in January and did not fly them till now? Your lucky to have any of them back. They should be in the settleing cage by 6 weeks and in the air by 7 weeks.
Dave
True, noob mistake on my part. I was waiting to have a "team" to loft break and start training tosses with and then somewhere along the way I decided to wait and finish breeding and do all of the birds at the same time.
Next year, should go smoother. By the way I have been loft flying for a few weeks now but I can't seem to get my birds to kit together in a tight group.
I might need to try the early morning and late evening loft flying others are doing.
Posted 12th June 2011, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Dave

Most people in my club who breed in January wait many months until they start to loft fly. That is why I waited so long myself. But next year I plan on starting it early I think that may have been one of my problems. They say not to let them out in the winter due to the hawks but if I am loosing them now what is the difference at least if I loose them to a hawk I know it was nothing I did wrong
Posted 12th June 2011, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Dave
Do you need a settling cage if your loft has an aviary?

Tags
loft flying