Pigeon-Talk banner

One baby not getting fed enough? Help!

955 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  fishbone 
#1 ·
One of my breeding pair hatched two babies and one is three times the size of the other despite them being hatched together at the same time. Is the little guy just not getting fed? What can I do to insure he is getting enough to eat. His sibling is already feathering out. They are about 12 days old. I am in Magnolia Texas.

#2 ·
Sometimes if i think that one of the youngsters is not "getting his share" I will remove his nestmate from the nest at feeding time at hold the bird for about 5 minutes in a place away from the nest.

Usually the parents will fill up on food, take a drink or two from the waterer and then feed the only bird left in the nest (the small one). After the hen and cock have both fed the youngster, i then put the nestmate back in the nest and he get "seconds".

At least this insures that the small bird is getting fed first and not having to compete with a stonger/more demanding nestmate.

If you do this a couple of times it seems to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.