"OUR" First Annual One Loft Race - Page 10 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 6th January 2010, 07:57 AM
Rackerman. You have to send the bird/s at approximately 30 days old. Maybe a couple of days younger and maybe a couple of days older. You also have to try and get them at this age and delivered to Flapdoodle, at the time period specified by (it's like a two week period in March). There are special live bird boxes that have to be used in order for the post office to accept them, and the shipping costs will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 to 45 dollars for one box, and there are boxes that can hold from one to four birds. Just to enter the race is 50 dollars per bird. This is NOT a money race, but is a "bragging rights" race. It is a cheap way to try out your breeder birds offspring against some heavy competition. But it is all about the bragging rights here on Pigeon Talk. There will be a trophy awarded to the overall winner though.

All birds sent to Flapdoodle will be trained by him to race to his loft. After the race/s, all birds can be sent back to the original owners (you) if we (you) pay for the shipping. You would have to send the money to Flapdoodle first, in order for him to send your bird/s back to you. But when you get the bird/s back, remember it will be trained to Flapdoodles loft and can not be trained to fly to your loft. You will have to keep it as a prisoner that you could breed from, but not race.

That is basically how all One Loft races work. Except some auction off your bird afterwards and some charge you a fee PLUS shipping, to get your bird back. Also figure in the cost of the shiipping box in both directions. I am not sure if this is going to be a series of two or three races, or just one race. That was probably posted here somewhere but I don't remember right now (getting old in my old age).

Last edited by conditionfreak; 6th January 2010 at 08:38 PM..
Posted 6th January 2010, 08:54 AM
conditionfreak, Thanks alot!! I do understand now. I have a little over a week to decide now. I want to race, but not sure if I will have a young one by then? This sure sounds like fun and hope I can do it, I need this week to decide, like I said, not sure if I will have a young one by then. I will see what I can do, if not, there is next year. Thanks for your notice.......

"Blue Bombers Loft"
Posted 7th January 2010, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackerman View Post
conditionfreak, Thanks alot!! I do understand now. I have a little over a week to decide now. I want to race, but not sure if I will have a young one by then? This sure sounds like fun and hope I can do it, I need this week to decide, like I said, not sure if I will have a young one by then. I will see what I can do, if not, there is next year. Thanks for your notice.......
Rackerman, You are not too far from me as I am just around the horn (lake Mi.) from you. We have young hatching already so if you get your lights on in your loft you should be able to get them "busy" in time to get a couple of dandies to send out. Good Luck i know they dont always co-operate.
Ken

Posted 7th January 2010, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnmore View Post
Rackerman, You are not too far from me as I am just around the horn (lake Mi.) from you. We have young hatching already so if you get your lights on in your loft you should be able to get them "busy" in time to get a couple of dandies to send out. Good Luck i know they dont always co-operate.
Ken
Thanks Ken! How long do the lights need to be on?

"Blue Bombers Loft"
Posted 7th January 2010, 12:51 PM
I would just keep the lights on until they lay eggs and the babies are out, or at least that's what I do.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 7th January 2010, 06:05 PM
Total of 16-18 hours is what I keep them on. Usually they go off at 11PM when I go to bed and come on at 6AM when I get up.
Posted 7th January 2010, 07:02 PM
Ok so.... What kind of birds should I send short,middle,long? Looks like a tough course so middle to long? Let's do this!
Posted 7th January 2010, 07:35 PM
When in doubt...always send birds that can race hard. Don't think short, middle, long...

You never know what kind of weather they'll endure during a race. Especially in the cold winter months.
Posted 8th January 2010, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [MN]eXist^_^ View Post
Ok so.... What kind of birds should I send short,middle,long? Looks like a tough course so middle to long? Let's do this!
I am sending a houben/vanloon cross and a Janssen/720 cross.
Posted 11th January 2010, 02:06 PM
Talking

Race

My daughter and I are so excited about the race, we can't wait. The hard part is trying to figure out which birds to breed for this race...lol....I think I'm addicted!!
Posted 11th January 2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1963 View Post
My daughter and I are so excited about the race, we can't wait. The hard part is trying to figure out which birds to breed for this race...lol....I think I'm addicted!!
I am going to send one off of my mountain bird Maverick. He flew five races up and over Grand Mesa 12K in Colorado in consecutive weeks. This race course I think is up and over the mountains. I think that thin air blood might help. Also my 200 to 300 mile blood.

It is always hard when you are sending only a few birds. For average speed you also want your tough birds. The winner of the race has to finish all three in good time. Send the tough ones.

Good luck
Posted 11th January 2010, 04:21 PM
Sounds like a plan thx guys/gals
Posted 26th January 2010, 05:07 PM
I just looked at who all is in so far. This is turning out to be quite the little one loft race!!!

Flapdoodle, How is that loft coming along?
Posted 26th January 2010, 06:19 PM
Yes it is! So far, 5 people from my combine including me

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 26th January 2010, 11:34 PM
By may calculations, anything you put together about now should have eggs in 10 days to a couple of weeks, young by end of Feb and young about 5 weeks old by the 5th of April. For second rounders you should have little fuzzies in the nests, so they will lay in about 10 days or so. I will finish pairing my birds Saturday, so I should have some just in time to send if all goes well.

I waited another week, because last week to finish because we had a foot of snow and temps in the single digits. The birds are getting active. Our Longitude is a bit lower so the birds get active a bit sooner than you northern folk. Temps should start warming up soon also.

Which birds to send is a hard choice. I know some guys will send their best and be hard to beat. Other big names will send left overs. Looks to be a good race.

Randy

Tags
one loft race