"OUR" First Annual One Loft Race - Page 14 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 21st March 2010, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTown Racers View Post
If some of Qs have already been explained above, Im sorry, i dont have much time to read evreything. Work has picked up (big time), I have a two year old, and just found out Im going to be a daddyx2
OK, I get it, you have time to make babies, but not enough time to read all the posts and things related to this race ? Well, at least we know what you do seem to find time for.....

Posted 21st March 2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapdoodle View Post
You are right it was two birds. We had some folks that did not get birds paired up and have pulled out of the race. A few people have indicated they are only sending one bird. This second time around we only had 38 total birds, 20 breeders confirm they are sending birds. There are a few of the breeders I never heard back from. I am willing and able to do what ever the group wants.
This is why having people send in their perch fees and capital prize money in advance is a good policy. People will make all kinds of promises and then have all kinds of excuses as to why they don't have birds to send. The perches were reserved for them, and now for whatever reason or excuse, they are empty.

I will have to go back and re-read the rules myself. If the money is not all collected up front, when the birds are shipped, then there will be another round of people who I am sure all had good intentions, but just can't seem to come up with the dough. What originally may have been a 66 bird field, by the time a 300 mile race comes around, will most likely be fewer then 20 birds. If currently on paper, there are only 38 birds promised, something less then 38 birds will actually arrive I would imagine. Maybe fewer then 15 birds for the 300 mile event is even more realistic.

If nothing else, at least people will see some of the difficulties in setting up and organizing a One Loft event. What may seem a fairly straightforward and simple event, turns out to be a bit more difficult then most people will imagine.
Posted 21st March 2010, 06:51 AM
OK, I read the rules again, apparently you ship the birds and then sometime before Sept 1st, you collect $50. Like the orginal post said, if you don't like the rules then stay home. But, attempting to collect $50 after a bird has been consuming up expenses and then perhaps get lost, or the owner just decides he doesn't have the $50.... IMHO, you should have the little $50 check inside the shipping box when the birds arrive, with no refunds for the dummies that get lost off the landing board. Certainly would save a whole bunch of book keeping, but this is not my event.

Posted 21st March 2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithFamilyLoft View Post
OK, I get it, you have time to make babies, but not enough time to read all the posts and things related to this race ? Well, at least we know what you do seem to find time for.....
You and I may butt heads, but this is the second time you have brought my family into the equation! You tramp around this website like you are some kind of pigeon racing "GOD". If that were the case, I would think there would be some kind of results page on your website. As far as I can tell you have won your fair share of club/combine races(you made sure your wife held the trophies up for you, so all the world could see) and you got lucky one year at the flamingo race. I think you are a big talker and bully people around on this website and trick people into thinking you are "Top Dog". Again you show your arrogance by telling all the good people you are too good for this PT one loft race. You have to enter birds under your wifes name. Looks to me like you are too chicken s$%t to put your own name on your birds! Im done. This is the last time I waste dealing with you publicly. If you want to pm me or call me, we can go on. 314 972 3123 is my phone # so the ball is in your court big guy!
Posted 21st March 2010, 07:34 AM
I agree with Warren. Especially being a new first time one loft race, I think that one would have to be very careful about the minimum number of entries, race and perch fees, feed and medical costs, and training expenses to make it a viable venture. The idea of having people on this forum having this race is a great idea, but the logistics of carrying it out are something else. I have no idea of the work involved, but I would think that it would be a huge task to complete, especially for one person. I would definitely require that whatever fees are imposed would be in the shipping box with the birds. I forgot exactly how many birds are allowed in the race, but I would be very careful about how much to charge in fees, as to make sure the handler does not get eaten up in expenses. I truly hope it works out for you Flapdoodle.

Last edited by bbcdon; 21st March 2010 at 07:53 AM..
Posted 21st March 2010, 02:22 PM

Competition Cracking Under The Pressure ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTown Racers View Post
You and I may butt heads, but this is the second time you have brought my family into the equation! You tramp around this website like you are some kind of pigeon racing "GOD". If that were the case, I would think there would be some kind of results page on your website. As far as I can tell you have won your fair share of club/combine races(you made sure your wife held the trophies up for you, so all the world could see) and you got lucky one year at the flamingo race. I think you are a big talker and bully people around on this website and trick people into thinking you are "Top Dog". Again you show your arrogance by telling all the good people you are too good for this PT one loft race. You have to enter birds under your wifes name. Looks to me like you are too chicken s$%t to put your own name on your birds! Im done. This is the last time I waste dealing with you publicly. If you want to pm me or call me, we can go on. 314 972 3123 is my phone # so the ball is in your court big guy!

If I came across "rude" then that is one thing, I am sorry if that is the case.

But me...a pigeon god ? I don't think so......And I'm sorry, I don't ever recall butting heads with you, must have been in a late night post or part of your imagination. Don't really remember you contributing all that much. Perhaps I said something in one of my posts that you felt was directed at you and upset you ? Maybe because you said you were sending birds, but then decided to pull out ? Will have to go back and read a bunch of posts.

But since you brought my family and my wife's idea to support this race up....You must first be able to beat my wife's pretty little pigeons before you ever hope to compete against mine. As it is, I suspect my wife's pigeons would tear the wings off your birds, but that remains to be seen, since you apparently already chickened out in a previous post....not sure why if you have already dropped out, why you take offense to my two cents anyway, competition got to tough for you ?

As far as giving you a call, you must first beat the girls in our family, then I might consider giving you a shot at speaking with me, or competing againest my birds, but first you have to earn that right, so save up them nickles, as I won't provide that opportunity for free.

But, IMHO, your post seems a bit more aggrogant then mine, and sure seems like someone who is attempting to cyber bully, what with your references to god and all. I do confess, I am a big talker, but then again I am willing to put my money where my BIG mouth is. When you are ready to do the same, then let me know. Already have a race right here, all you have to do is summon up the courage to ship your birds. And please don't allow your perception of my arrogance, or your fear of my wife's pretty little pigeons, scare you away. Just let me know, I will send a check along to cover are own little friendly wager. That way the only results page you will have to concern yourself with, is this particular race.
Posted 21st March 2010, 06:26 PM
Here is how this race started.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f14/on...dea-41258.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME from thread listed above POST #4
I like the idea. I too have thought of this. BUT was wondering just how many racers are on this site. I know there are a few of us. The perch donation could be a reason for a new loft If the PT team was not to large (not a large loft needed and my combine ships 30/race) this braggin rights race would work.
I have limited space NOW but a new YB loft would be nice.
?????? I wonder if my wife wants a loft ????? She has mentioned it ???? Then there could be a flock comming home weekly.
got me thinkin' If a small team, a small say 5x8 would be big enuff. and easy for wife to say yes to. ALSO weekly posts and photos could be made here as how the PT race team is progressing. AND my wife's first race season results.
I like the idea. If someone here does do a PT braggin rights race, Lets try to get a roll call of who is intrested in hosting and or flying. :
I was going to build a small loft and have my wife fly.. The perch donation would have paid for there feed. No prize to win or argue about. Just a fun race season for PT members and getting a new flyer in my club. Her team would not of been from my stock so she could never say I kept the good ones. LOL My wife will still be watching the birds come home this year but they will still be my birds to my loft. Good luck to all who send birds and also to the handler. I will be watching this post to see how well the race goes. And before you ask. I will not be sending birds to the PT OLR. And yes I did edit my orginal post a little. I made it a little bit more understandable. Please remember raising pigeons was our hobby, before racing pigeons was our sport. Keep it fun.
LMC race secretary + NPR Club President
AU Life member
Posted 21st March 2010, 09:47 PM
Shipping date is closing fast. Has a decision been made yet as to how this is going to be held?

If you remember, I offered to provide a trophy to the winner of this one loft race. But if we do option #2, I guess it would have to be a trophy not for a race, but for points earned. If I understood it correctly.

P.S. Hey Warren. Unless you were joking (or drinking), you said that you have "people" that take care of your birds. Is this true? You must have money. (not that there is anything wrong with that) But it does diminish my initial thoughts about you and your birds. I thought you were like me, in that you loved doing all of the things needed to be done to and with our birds. I get a kick out of taking care of my birds. But then again. I like mowing my yard. So maybe I'm weird.

My brother in law told me recently that he pays someone to mow his tiny yard (as compared to mine) and I made him mad at me for responding something like "you're kidding right? You pay someone to mow an eighth of an acre of grass?"

He didn't take it so well when I was laughing and saying this. But, he has money also. So maybe, that is why I enjoy doing what I can not afford to pay others to do. But I must say, I would feel silly paying someone to mow my yard. I even fix my own cars and what not. I am not close to being low income, but paying someone to walk my dog, feed my pigeons, mow my grass or change my tire, would just be something I would not do.
Posted 21st March 2010, 10:22 PM
ohh god....... what the heck happen to this one you guys start arguing already we havent even push the start botton yet,hope this thing pull true...

one quicky question.... since where flying in fladapole club and if a bird win a diploma whose name is going to be used the breeder or the handler cause most likely it will happen one of this PT birds will win a diploma.....
Posted 21st March 2010, 11:03 PM
Flapdoodle, I am in which ever you decide. Sorry that you have to listen to the Bull Cow Folks that don't understand the problem, & don't keep there word. Seems to be a way of life with the new Cell Phone World type Pigeon Racing. You have done a lot of work for this, & I appreciate this...... My vote is what ever you have to do to make this PT Race Fly for the 1st time, I'm in!!!.......... Come on PT Folks, lets RACE & HAVE FUN..........
Happy
Posted 22nd March 2010, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
Shipping date is closing fast. Has a decision been made yet as to how this is going to be held?

If you remember, I offered to provide a trophy to the winner of this one loft race. But if we do option #2, I guess it would have to be a trophy not for a race, but for points earned. If I understood it correctly.

P.S. Hey Warren. Unless you were joking (or drinking), you said that you have "people" that take care of your birds. Is this true? You must have money. (not that there is anything wrong with that) But it does diminish my initial thoughts about you and your birds. I thought you were like me, in that you loved doing all of the things needed to be done to and with our birds. I get a kick out of taking care of my birds. But then again. I like mowing my yard. So maybe I'm weird.

My brother in law told me recently that he pays someone to mow his tiny yard (as compared to mine) and I made him mad at me for responding something like "you're kidding right? You pay someone to mow an eighth of an acre of grass?"

He didn't take it so well when I was laughing and saying this. But, he has money also. So maybe, that is why I enjoy doing what I can not afford to pay others to do. But I must say, I would feel silly paying someone to mow my yard. I even fix my own cars and what not. I am not close to being low income, but paying someone to walk my dog, feed my pigeons, mow my grass or change my tire, would just be something I would not do.
OK, so I will agree with you....you are weird.

No, I do not scrape my own pigeon lofts, nor mow my own grass. It's not because I have so much money that those chores seem beneath me, it's that I am physically handicapped. When it comes to the oil changing part, I am mentally challenged, in that I don't really know how.

I know people who can do all kinds of mechanical things for themselves, like electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc. etc. I am sure they enjoy a sense of independence. But then, in this day of specialization, I don't try to be my own physician, dentist or attorney either.....like when my wife needed surgery on her heart, or I needed a crown on a tooth, I didn't attempt to do those procedures either.

There are very few things that I can do exceedingly well......so my strategy has been to focus on those things I can do well and subcontract out the other stuff I'm not so good at to others. It's not for everybody, but it works for me. Now, I guess that makes me weird !

Maybe by the time this event is over, Flapdoodle will be asking himself, why he got himself into such a thing......
Posted 22nd March 2010, 04:49 AM
Flap, I wouldn't even ask anyone. You are going to get as many different answers as there are breeders. This is a race run by you do what you feel is right. If there are those that dont like it they can sit out. As the chairman of oiur combine auction race this year, I couldn't even attempt to please the 130 members 100%. I quit trying and just made a fair race.
Ken
Posted 22nd March 2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnmore View Post
Flap, I wouldn't even ask anyone. You are going to get as many different answers as there are breeders. This is a race run by you do what you feel is right. If there are those that dont like it they can sit out. As the chairman of oiur combine auction race this year, I couldn't even attempt to please the 130 members 100%. I quit trying and just made a fair race.
Ken
I 2nd that.....
Posted 22nd March 2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnmore View Post
Ken
I was thinking along the same lines your never gonna please everybody so do what's best for you. Just make rules and a format and stick to them and if it works it works.

Check Out my Clubs website see if your interested in any of the races sponsored by my club.
WWW.LindenhurstHPC.COM
Posted 22nd March 2010, 08:54 AM
Hey, that's all cool Warren. So you can't handle scrapping pigeon poop. I understand fully.

If you did scrap you own pigeon poop and capped your own teeth, and got the two mixed up. It could get real ugly.

Just funning. But on a serious note, let me ask you some straight forward questions. You don't shy away from the tough subjects and neither do I. So let's have a discussion about this.

When you win a race, do YOU get the credit for it? Or does the handler get the credit for it? Or does the TEAM get the credit for it?

I mean. Let's say that Brad Pitt owned racing pigoens. Had someone take care of them. That someone/s did the raising, training, feeding, and general caring for the birds. Did most everything except purchase the birds, decide what should be bred with what and provides all of the capital to do all of this. Then one of his birds wins a big race. Do the congratulations go to Brad Pitt or to his handler? Does the trophy or diploma have Brad Pitts name on it, or the handlers? (See how this all ties in with a posting above about this coming PT race and whos name goes on the diplomas, if any?)

I believe I know the answer, and that it is the same answer that applies to horse racing. But I would like your thoughts on it.

P.S. I am in NO WAY comparing you to Brad Pitt.

Tags
one loft race