"OUR" First Annual One Loft Race - Page 15 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 22nd March 2010, 10:20 AM
lol you guys get incredibly serious over what i have read to be a "fun race" for rich and poor alike to enjoy and possibly win a few quid.
im new to pigeons so dont really understand the concept but if things get this b*tchy everytime you race im glad i am from the uk.
and this is in no way a dig but you guys make it sound like boxing "you beat these girlie pigeons and you get a shot at mine" if yours are that good id take great pleasure in caneing someone and gloating but thats just me like i said i dont know what the concept is really or the cost of the pigeons you would put in the race (would they be worth risking for the winnings?) however i have enjoyed reading this thread so far
good luck to everyone that takes part
gaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 22nd March 2010, 10:25 AM
I hope this race goes through....I want to see who wins!

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15
Posted 22nd March 2010, 11:24 AM
No need to wait. I'm gonna win. If I knew what a quid was, I'd bet one or two.

Posted 22nd March 2010, 11:25 AM

Read the updated rules...

I have birds being shipped starting next week...

I think this will still be a lot of fun. If you have issues with the new format I totally understand, I really think with the number of birds we have this is the best way to proceed. This is how we are going to proceed this year. If we can make it a regular one loft race next year great.

New Rules:

100% free no cost to you other then shipping the birds to my loft and if you want them back after the race you pay to ship them back.

I will take in birds March 29th to April 24th. The birds will fly as my YB team. The way my club works is we ship an A and B race, 15 birds in each race. We also send a third release as trainers not clocked through the club. We fly eight races.

1st bird back 5 points
2nd bird back 4 points
3rd bird back 3 points
4th bird back 2 points
5th bird back 1 point

We would give points to the first five birds in each race (A, B, and the trainers) each week. At the end eight of the eight weeks the bird with the highest points is our winner. We could keep a result sheet online that everyone can check.

Regardless of how the birds do in the club and combine we would have a first place bird at each race and post the results in the forum each week.

The birds are my YB team. The club and combine results would all say Brasher then the band number and place the bird came in. All Diplomas would be returned with the birds to the breeder after the races.

As far as deciding what bird are shipped in the races:

For the first race, I would take the first 30 birds back from training tosses (with other lofts) the week before the race. Those are the birds that would go in to the A and B race, the rest would go as the trainers (Which we would still award points for the forum but not on the club/combine results sheet).

For all other races, I take the first 10 birds back from the previous weeks race (A, B, and the trainers, 30 total).

What about young birds I have raised off my breeders? I will enter two birds in the mix for our race listed with everyone elses birds. The forum birds on the team will have precedence in the A and B race. If we get to a point where there is less then thirty forum birds to send to a race. I will them fill the race team with my own birds. The bulk of my birds will go to a new flyer in my club to fly out.

The race series starts the last Saturday in August. We will race every weekend for eight weeks. Race Stations with approximant mileage:

Fernley 120
Lovelock 190
Imlay 205
Winnemucca 250
Valmy 270
Carlin 300
Battle Mtn 260
Elko 325

As far as the date returned goes. If someone in the group has a bird that does well at the combine level a few races or wants a bird back at some point I will pull it from future races and we can make arrangements to get the bird back to the breeder (at the breeders expense). Other then that it would be after the series is over (sometimes they postpone a race due to weather).
Posted 22nd March 2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
No need to wait. I'm gonna win. If I knew what a quid was, I'd bet one or two.
lol its like your dollar ..... only worth more
Posted 22nd March 2010, 12:38 PM
That doesn't take much, our dollar isn't worth much. lol
Dave
Posted 22nd March 2010, 01:02 PM
Sounds good to me, flapdoodle. A small point to ponder is that there will be (or usually is), more birds in the A race versus the B or trainers. In my combine there are three times more birds in the A race than the B race, and only a few trainers.

But a small point.

Although putting my birds in with the trainers everytime might give me an advantage. I don't want it.

(psss, just kidding. put mine in with the trainers but don't let anyone know our little secret)
Posted 22nd March 2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTown Racers View Post
I guess my questions are these;
1. what about your birds (are you breeding a yb team for yourself this year?)see my last post
2. How many lofts are in your combine? last year we started yb with 38 lofts about 550 birds in each race
3. If birds are flown in your combine, do the visiting band#s have to be registered through your combine and mine? the birds will be allocated to my race team
4. If vs AU? AU, I can fly YB’s with an IF band, I will need to possibly register them before hand. My club race secretary says no problem at all. I have a note into the combine secretary for a confirmation. (Possibly a $1.00 fee per non-AU band, I will pay for, I believe that fee only applies to OB)
5. I guess I dont understand why you want to hold my hand That comment is not from me… [/COLOR]
For everyone else:

When you get ready to ship birds, email me at the address below a few days before with the band numbers and the date you plan to ship, I will reply with my shipping information.

Last edited by Flapdoodle; 22nd March 2010 at 02:20 PM..
Posted 22nd March 2010, 02:33 PM
Wait, wait, wait. So the race is free now (other than shipping to and from)?

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 22nd March 2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Sounds good to me, flapdoodle. A small point to ponder is that there will be (or usually is), more birds in the A race versus the B or trainers. In my combine there are three times more birds in the A race than the B race, and only a few trainers.

But a small point.

Although putting my birds in with the trainers everytime might give me an advantage. I don't want it.

(psss, just kidding. put mine in with the trainers but don't let anyone know our little secret)
sorry mine will always be the trainers

the cream will rise to the top, the first birds back will make the A & B race team the following week... and as you elude to be at a slight disadvantage. I sometimes do have trainers come in a few on the drop, but never the whole group... my point system might be a little flawed but it will work. I am sure after my bird wins everyone will cry foul...

our A and B races are pretty even in size, toward the end of the season if we end up with less then thirty I will split the forum birds evenly between the A and B race.
Posted 22nd March 2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Wait, wait, wait. So the race is free now (other than shipping to and from)?
the economy sucks, I don’t want someone to not ship birds because of the $100. I will flip the bill this time… with the new format, my expenses are basically the same as they would be if I was flying all my own birds. That goes the same for my time. Most of the birds I raised I will pass to a new flyer in my club. Of course, if someone wants to throw in a little for feed and what not I would not turn it down… It might be a little more fun to sit on your money and maybe in August before we start the races have a pool that pays out to the top few point leaders… I would be taking the first and second spot anyway...
Posted 22nd March 2010, 03:29 PM
Money in pigeon racing, ruins things.

Don't get me wrong. I play poker three nights a week for money (won $160 last Saturday), but in non professional sports (and in some cases there also), it tends to end up in shanigans being involved. Or at least insinuated or claimed.

Let's keep this as fun as possible. I do not need to win any money to enjoy this to the max. All I need is for my birds to not embarrass me.

P.S. If my birds survive the first two races, I will send something to help with the feed costs. PayPal is best, but whatever works for you is fine.

If they don't. Then they suck, you suck, I suck, and I ain't ponying up anything. Because I will be in a bad mood for a week.
Posted 22nd March 2010, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Money in pigeon racing, ruins things.

Don't get me wrong. I play poker three nights a week for money (won $160 last Saturday), but in non professional sports (and in some cases there also), it tends to end up in shanigans being involved. Or at least insinuated or claimed.

Let's keep this as fun as possible. I do not need to win any money to enjoy this to the max. All I need is for my birds to not embarrass me.

P.S. If my birds survive the first two races, I will send something to help with the feed costs. PayPal is best, but whatever works for you is fine.

If they don't. Then they suck, you suck, I suck, and I ain't ponying up anything. Because I will be in a bad mood for a week.
LOL...I like how you roll bro!

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15
Posted 22nd March 2010, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazguildford View Post
lol you guys get incredibly serious over what i have read to be a "fun race" for rich and poor alike to enjoy and possibly win a few quid.
im new to pigeons so dont really understand the concept but if things get this b*tchy everytime you race im glad i am from the uk.
and this is in no way a dig but you guys make it sound like boxing "you beat these girlie pigeons and you get a shot at mine" if yours are that good id take great pleasure in caneing someone and gloating but thats just me like i said i dont know what the concept is really or the cost of the pigeons you would put in the race (would they be worth risking for the winnings?) however i have enjoyed reading this thread so far
good luck to everyone that takes part
gaz
Are you kidding me ?! I suspect that there really is no such thing as a "Friendly" race in any combine in the USA, anymore then there is really a "Friendly" game in any other sport. If it is so friendly, that one does not really care, one way or the other, who wins or who loses, then what is the point in playing in the first place ?! Based on some fans I have seen on TV after a match over in the UK, I would say that winning in sports can get pretty serious in the UK as well.

Personally, I never met a winner who liked to lose. I have met quite a few losers who were OK with being a loser. Takes one heck of a lot less effort to be a loser, I can tell you that from experience. I have lost more events then I have won.

And no, the winnings in this race, I suspect will not even cover the shipment of the birds back home. But then that is true in the majority of the local races here also. Thanks for reading these posts, I hope it proves to be entertaining. I certainly would like to wager a good caneing with some of the blokes in this race, but then again this is a "Friendly" event....
Posted 22nd March 2010, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Hey, that's all cool Warren. So you can't handle scrapping pigeon poop. I understand fully.

If you did scrap you own pigeon poop and capped your own teeth, and got the two mixed up. It could get real ugly.

Just funning. But on a serious note, let me ask you some straight forward questions. You don't shy away from the tough subjects and neither do I. So let's have a discussion about this.

When you win a race, do YOU get the credit for it? Or does the handler get the credit for it? Or does the TEAM get the credit for it?I mean. Let's say that Brad Pitt owned racing pigoens. Had someone take care of them. That someone/s did the raising, training, feeding, and general caring for the birds. Did most everything except purchase the birds, decide what should be bred with what and provides all of the capital to do all of this. Then one of his birds wins a big race. Do the congratulations go to Brad Pitt or to his handler? Does the trophy or diploma have Brad Pitts name on it, or the handlers? (See how this all ties in with a posting above about this coming PT race and whos name goes on the diplomas, if any?)

I believe I know the answer, and that it is the same answer that applies to horse racing. But I would like your thoughts on it.

P.S. I am in NO WAY comparing you to Brad Pitt.
Getting a bit off topic....

Replace the name Brad Pitt above with say the name Mike Ganus. When the bird wins, what name and logos would be displayed on the front cover of the Racing Pigeon Digest ?

Now, if it were me....I would give the credit to the rightful winner....and that would be neither the owner, the handler, nor the team. It would be the bird !

Tags
one loft race