"OUR" First Annual One Loft Race - Page 16 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 22nd March 2010, 04:59 PM
Ditto's Warren!

Posted 22nd March 2010, 05:04 PM
hmmm....Ganus buys some great birds from someone in Belgium. Then breds the babies and sells them. Then the person who bought them, wins a big race basically counting on the work of the "handler", and the cover of the magazine is shared by the bird, the Belgium name, the Ganus name, and the flyers name. But not the handler. The handler might get a token mention somewhere in the interior of the magazine. Maybe.

Yea. I got it. Thanks. (just funnin around)
Posted 22nd March 2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
Money in pigeon racing, ruins things.

Don't get me wrong. I play poker three nights a week for money (won $160 last Saturday), but in non professional sports (and in some cases there also), it tends to end up in shanigans being involved. Or at least insinuated or claimed.

Let's keep this as fun as possible. I do not need to win any money to enjoy this to the max. All I need is for my birds to not embarrass me.

P.S. If my birds survive the first two races, I will send something to help with the feed costs. PayPal is best, but whatever works for you is fine.

If they don't. Then they suck, you suck, I suck, and I ain't ponying up anything. Because I will be in a bad mood for a week.
I have heard this a bunch of times, I don't know if it is true or not. I mean, where would poker be, if it were not for that $1,000,000 Championship they hold in Vegas ? Where would foot ball be without the Super Bowl and Big Time Million + dollar players. If the game was all for fun like on the Jr. High School level, would it really be the same thing ? Would horse racing be the same if the winner of the Kentucky Derby got only a diploma ? Same with every other "sport", from golf to tennis. Has money "ruined" every other professional sport ? Millions of viewers and fans would seem to suggest that is not the case. I'm not so sure that pigeon racing is some kind of special exception. If I offered a $5000 1st place prize to the winner of this series of events, would that ruin the "fun" for everyone ? What if I made an offer such as that, and then when someone won the 1st place position, I say...you know, I don't want to ruin the fun for you...so just forget the moeny....just enjoy the win for the sake of the win !! I will tell you from personal experience, I have won for fun, and I have won for money. And when you get a few extra grand in your hand, is does not detract from the fun !!

Posted 22nd March 2010, 05:39 PM
I don't have any birds or anything yet, but whatever you win doesn't it just go back into your birds? Its not like your getting any extra pocket money right? But my mentor did win 18,000$ in a race so I'm guessing you do get extra money if you place 1st-6th.
Posted 22nd March 2010, 06:01 PM
Yea. That's why I said "non professional sports".

I would also say that the NCAA tournament (college basketball and football) are bigger than most other things, except for maybe the Super Bowl, World Series and the Kentucky Derby.

But the NCAA tournaments may be bigger than all of that.

But you made your point well. I do play poker a lot and from time to time, I find shenanigans going on. Friends not betting when they have a lock and there is just the two of them in the hand. Partners working the table. "Splashing" the pot with less chips than was required. etc. etc. I have seen similar things in pigeon racing. Back in the old days, putting the counter marks on the birds prior to a race, and having a pigeons amputated leg palmed in their hand and then putting the un countermarked bid in the crate. Or liberators letting birds out fifty miles closer or a half hour earlier. etc. etc.

There are cheaters in every endeavor. Be it sports, business, marriage, the lottery, or the church. It is a fact of life.

Even when there is no money involved, people will cheat. Just for the fake glory.
Posted 22nd March 2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by First To Hatch View Post
I don't have any birds or anything yet, but whatever you win doesn't it just go back into your birds? Its not like your getting any extra pocket money right? But my mentor did win 18,000$ in a race so I'm guessing you do get extra money if you place 1st-6th.
You can put as much or as little into your birds, as you want. If I lucked out and won one million dollars in a race. I guarantee you that no where near that amout of money would be put back into pigeons. That would be a disservice to my family.
Posted 22nd March 2010, 07:05 PM
The desire to compete and win is part of the human spirit!
Posted 22nd March 2010, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
Yea. That's why I said "non professional sports".

I would also say that the NCAA tournament (college basketball and football) are bigger than most other things, except for maybe the Super Bowl, World Series and the Kentucky Derby.

But the NCAA tournaments may be bigger than all of that.

But you made your point well. I do play poker a lot and from time to time, I find shenanigans going on. Friends not betting when they have a lock and there is just the two of them in the hand. Partners working the table. "Splashing" the pot with less chips than was required. etc. etc. I have seen similar things in pigeon racing. Back in the old days, putting the counter marks on the birds prior to a race, and having a pigeons amputated leg palmed in their hand and then putting the un countermarked bid in the crate. Or liberators letting birds out fifty miles closer or a half hour earlier. etc. etc.

There are cheaters in every endeavor. Be it sports, business, marriage, the lottery, or the church. It is a fact of life.

Even when there is no money involved, people will cheat. Just for the fake glory.
You are right about cheaters...they don't need money as an excuse to cheat. My GrandMa would cheat at cards, and we never played for money. Of course every time we would lose to her, we would claim it was due to cheating. Much like what happens in many Combines when a flier starts to win "Too Much"....why he must be cheating !!

And Pigeon Racing is no longer considered a non-professional sport. Once your income exceeds your expenses, even in pigeon racing events, the IRS will consider you a "Professional". Ask your CPA about the details.
Posted 22nd March 2010, 08:57 PM
Then consider me a professional poker player.
Posted 22nd March 2010, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithFamilyLoft View Post
You are right about cheaters...they don't need money as an excuse to cheat. My GrandMa would cheat at cards, and we never played for money. Of course every time we would lose to her, we would claim it was due to cheating. Much like what happens in many Combines when a flier starts to win "Too Much"....why he must be cheating !!
And Pigeon Racing is no longer considered a non-professional sport. Once your income exceeds your expenses, even in pigeon racing events, the IRS will consider you a "Professional". Ask your CPA about the details.
now i wonder why my freinds fellow flyer won 9 first,second,thrid,fourt...etc. place out of eleven races.....and the year after that he couldnt even clock a bird......go figured
Posted 22nd March 2010, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithFamilyLoft View Post
Are you kidding me ?! I suspect that there really is no such thing as a "Friendly" race in any combine in the USA, anymore then there is really a "Friendly" game in any other sport. If it is so friendly, that one does not really care, one way or the other, who wins or who loses, then what is the point in playing in the first place ?! Based on some fans I have seen on TV after a match over in the UK, I would say that winning in sports can get pretty serious in the UK as well.

Personally, I never met a winner who liked to lose. I have met quite a few losers who were OK with being a loser. Takes one heck of a lot less effort to be a loser, I can tell you that from experience. I have lost more events then I have won.

And no, the winnings in this race, I suspect will not even cover the shipment of the birds back home. But then that is true in the majority of the local races here also. Thanks for reading these posts, I hope it proves to be entertaining. I certainly would like to wager a good caneing with some of the blokes in this race, but then again this is a "Friendly" event....

your absoloutly right i have been involved in lets say my fair share of riots after the football (soccer) and before for that matter.
but on the other hand i have never gone looking for trouble i have just stood my ground. im just one of those (what must be rare) who enjoy the day and the people i meet or meet up with along the way win or loose i enjoy the day ofcourse everybody loves to be a winner but noone likes a sulker.
i have never raced pigeons and infact dont even own any yet lol but when i do it might change?
people should enjoy it no matter what after all at the end of the day you will still have mates to join down the boozer and to have some friendly banter.
i dont know if you guys are classed as pro's or ametures but serious business this pigeon racing
Posted 23rd March 2010, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazguildford View Post
your absoloutly right i have been involved in lets say my fair share of riots after the football (soccer) and before for that matter.
but on the other hand i have never gone looking for trouble i have just stood my ground. im just one of those (what must be rare) who enjoy the day and the people i meet or meet up with along the way win or loose i enjoy the day ofcourse everybody loves to be a winner but noone likes a sulker.
i have never raced pigeons and infact dont even own any yet lol but when i do it might change?
people should enjoy it no matter what after all at the end of the day you will still have mates to join down the boozer and to have some friendly banter.
i dont know if you guys are classed as pro's or ametures but serious business this pigeon racing
Now mate, I think you are catching on ! Riots over there are all part of the game are they not ? I never go looking fer trouble either, but sometimes he finds me at the boozer, enjoying a couple pints of ale with me friends. And then some bloke gets up in me face and tries to tell me my birds are no good. Me and my mates might get to thinking they is fighting words !

And the banter, of course you have to learn to talk like your birds will be winning 1st place for the rest of the season, even if it's more likely they will be out for a night or two. The trick is really be pulling your friends leg, and being just a bit happy for him, should he go and win one. A congradulations is always in order, and everyone knows it's his turn to buy the ale for the boys in the club.

You should track down your local pigeon club and find out what kind of blokes are running the place. We have a great bunch of guys in our club, and we all enjoy each other's company. Flapdoodle on here didn't mention it yet, but it is customary for the handler of a One Loft Race to throw a party/picnic or BBQ type function at his house on the day of the last big race.
Posted 23rd March 2010, 08:57 AM
This is now more of a futurity race than a one loft race. Right?
Posted 23rd March 2010, 09:39 AM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazguildford View Post
lol its like your dollar ..... only worth more
Actually I think its two 2 one our favor USA
Posted 23rd March 2010, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersonk2002 View Post
Actually I think its two 2 one our favor USA
now, 3 to 1 our favor USA............lol

"Blue Bombers Loft"