"OUR" First Annual One Loft Race - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 9th December 2009, 06:14 PM
Why cut the 9 and 10 flights?

Posted 9th December 2009, 06:23 PM
Usually by the time YB season rolls around, birds are moulting and their 9th and 10th fall out during the season. Those are two important feathers. Soooo, to keep that from happening, if you pull them early, they won't need to moult them because they already shed and grew those 4 feathers.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 9th December 2009, 08:43 PM
I second what Becky said… my understanding (which often is incorrect) is new feathers growing in need a blood supply. The blood supply is in the shaft of the feather as it grows out. All the bird feathers are the same in this respect. The reason for cutting the flight before pulling is to get air in the shaft which will dry out the follicle at the base of the feather and it pulls out easier. Of those that pull flights some cut the flights first then pull a few weeks later some don’t mess with cutting the flights and just pull them.

We have a couple of new to YB racing folks following along. Controlling the moult is a huge advantage in YB racing. I am sure you can search the forum for light system and dark system to get some more info on this. Like every aspect of the sport there are a million different ideas on this.

My plan for our race and the reason for pulling flights is to keep everything equal. It really handicaps a bird if he is missing one of those feathers during the races. When I get the birds they will go on lights (18 hours). I will cut the 9th and 10th flight in the middle of May. Come June first I will pull the flights, cut back on road training completely, and put them on natural lights (14 hours). The shorter day length will trigger a heavy body moult. I will add a higher protein feed. When most the birds are completed with the body moult (4-5 weeks) the build up and training for the races will begin.

Last edited by Flapdoodle; 9th December 2009 at 08:47 PM..

Posted 13th December 2009, 07:37 PM
Wow, that many ppl signed up only.. Is it still a go?
Posted 13th December 2009, 09:09 PM
I have seen some birds go into a double molt if things aren't done properly. Pulling to early and switching to light or dark to late or too soon. I had this happen to me once when I bred early in december. My december bred birds started to molt again during young bird season. During these times, flights can fall due to stress or accessive flying with molted feathers which makes it hard on the wing.
Posted 13th December 2009, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpaint View Post
I have seen some birds go into a double molt if things aren't done properly. Pulling to early and switching to light or dark to late or too soon. I had this happen to me once when I bred early in december. My december bred birds started to molt again during young bird season. During these times, flights can fall due to stress or accessive flying with molted feathers which makes it hard on the wing.

You have to turn the lights on after the longest day of the year and start extending the light buy a half hour every 2-3 weeks.
Posted 14th December 2009, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonnewb View Post
Wow, that many ppl signed up only.. Is it still a go?
Chou good question, we didnít really know what the interest would be in doing this race. This started as just an idea someone had in the forum. I still think it would be a lot of fun. With only 15 breeders we donít have much of a race. If I canít get at least 60 committed birds I will probably have to pull the plug.

I hope your show went well...
Posted 15th December 2009, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapdoodle View Post
Chou good question, we didnít really know what the interest would be in doing this race. This started as just an idea someone had in the forum. I still think it would be a lot of fun. With only 15 breeders we donít have much of a race. If I canít get at least 60 committed birds I will probably have to pull the plug.

I hope your show went well...
Ok, I thanksfor the update. Show went pretty well, although it seems less and less people every year. Keep me posted. I'll let you know when I'm headed up there, so we can go see Bob.
Chou
Posted 16th December 2009, 06:11 AM
hI FLAPADOODLE Will be training the birds out to TRUCKEE on route 80 and over the mountains? GEORGE
Posted 17th December 2009, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by george simon View Post
hI FLAPADOODLE Will be training the birds out to TRUCKEE on route 80 and over the mountains? GEORGE
It does not look like I will have enough flyers to get this off the ground. We currently have 15 committed breeders. To make this work we are only half way there. A few people indicated they could enter more birds but I don't think it will be enough.

If we can make it work, most the training will be on route 80. All the race stations are along 80 in Nevada. That was a real pain this summer and fall with the road construction. During the week, training tosses would take twice as long due to lanes being closed for repair. It seems like during the summer there is always some type of construction on 80. This last year it was major repairs, hopefully they have wrapped most of it up.
Posted 17th December 2009, 02:34 PM
Well 60 Birds is a lot if you really think about the members browsing this section of the forum. Hope the big gun guys in here enter also u know who u are! It's just for fun for u guys. No huge amount of pigeons to enter only ur best. Don't b scareed of us munchkins please ruff ruff growl! Haha
Posted 17th December 2009, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [MN]eXist^_^ View Post
Well 60 Birds is a lot if you really think about the members browsing this section of the forum. Hope the big gun guys in here enter also u know who u are! It's just for fun for u guys. No huge amount of pigeons to enter only ur best. Don't b scareed of us munchkins please ruff ruff growl! Haha
I hope we get there; this will be my first one loft race!
Posted 17th December 2009, 04:44 PM
I know people who might send in birds, but of course they are not members here.

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 17th December 2009, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
I know people who might send in birds, but of course they are not members here.
Its free, this will help this website and the race. New members welcome!
Posted 18th December 2009, 09:32 AM
Well then...hmmm. I suppose I could send it to some people then and see if they want to join

~Semper Fidelis~

Tags
one loft race