"OUR" First Annual One Loft Race - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 18th December 2009, 12:17 PM
Smile

Race

I would to send a bird but I only have 1 pair and not sure I could make it happen. I will check with friends and if I can get a bird I will give it a shot. It is all in fun and bragging rights.
Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 18th December 2009, 03:42 PM
My thoughts here are that the big guns are the only ones that have something to loose and may be reluctant to send birds. If they loose the winner can say My birds beat the big gun's birds. Also being no prize money they have nothing to win. Warren for instance has won the Flamingo Classic. If he wins the PT race it would be expected. I cannot see the front page of his website bragging about the PT race where he won against 60 birds and no prize money.

I do think the race would be fun and I am contemplating sending a couple of birds. My dellima is that for the $100 I can bond 10 birds in our club futurity and have a chance at $1000 plus an 8 race season and a chance at High points bird. We have 25 fanciers and 400 birds a race. Budget is tight being a teacher.

Randy
Posted 18th December 2009, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillfamilyloft View Post
My thoughts here are that the big guns are the only ones that have something to loose and may be reluctant to send birds. If they loose the winner can say My birds beat the big gun's birds. Also being no prize money they have nothing to win. Warren for instance has won the Flamingo Classic. If he wins the PT race it would be expected. I cannot see the front page of his website bragging about the PT race where he won against 60 birds and no prize money.

I do think the race would be fun and I am contemplating sending a couple of birds. My dellima is that for the $100 I can bond 10 birds in our club futurity and have a chance at $1000 plus an 8 race season and a chance at High points bird. We have 25 fanciers and 400 birds a race. Budget is tight being a teacher.

Randy
The only thing - you cant fault someone for not entering, if you do not enter yourself

Posted 18th December 2009, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTown Racers View Post
The only thing - you cant fault someone for not entering, if you do not enter yourself
Nice try of manipulation. Keep in mind I am not finding fault in why they do not want to enter, just thinking of reasons why they might not. I am also reflecting on the reasons why I am ruluctant. The main one being budget and ROI.

As for the competition, I think it will be fierce. There are some fliers in here with great birds. As for thinking my birds can handle the competition, I do not doubt them. They win races all the time for me, breed winners and battle for high points. I also love the competition. The most fierce when I tell my wife I am going to spend $150 on a race that has no chance of monitary return, just bragging rights. I am sure some of you know what I mean on this one.

Randy
Posted 18th December 2009, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillfamilyloft View Post
Nice try of manipulation. Keep in mind I am not finding fault in why they do not want to enter, just thinking of reasons why they might not. I am also reflecting on the reasons why I am ruluctant. The main one being budget and ROI.

As for the competition, I think it will be fierce. There are some fliers in here with great birds. As for thinking my birds can handle the competition, I do not doubt them. They win races all the time for me, breed winners and battle for high points. I also love the competition. The most fierce when I tell my wife I am going to spend $150 on a race that has no chance of monitary return, just bragging rights. I am sure some of you know what I mean on this one.

Randy
My point was- trying to keep this thing rolling, not take a shot at you. I understand what you are saying. My budget is tight too! I think this race is a good idea because it gets you out of your combine. It may show me exactly what I have. Lastly it will be fun as hell BS'n back and forth on this forum. I jumped on this race because I dont have deep enough pockets for one of the big races. Ive flown one yb season, and loved it! I think this will add one more element to a great hobby! (for me)
Posted 18th December 2009, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTown Racers View Post
My point was- trying to keep this thing rolling, not take a shot at you. I understand what you are saying. My budget is tight too! I think this race is a good idea because it gets you out of your combine. It may show me exactly what I have. Lastly it will be fun as hell BS'n back and forth on this forum. I jumped on this race because I dont have deep enough pockets for one of the big races. Ive flown one yb season, and loved it! I think this will add one more element to a great hobby! (for me)
I do agree that this will be a hoot. I thought the dishin' had already started and you were trying to get me worked up so I would join.

Randy
Posted 18th December 2009, 09:54 PM

Don't Give Up Yet

Well it seems that you are in a big hurry.Here it is just Dec 2009 and the race will be late in 2010.Most breeders have not paired up their birds .When will you be excepting birds for the race and what is the cut off date for excepting birds.Can you give us a date when the race will take place? Will it be during the young bird races or after. If you have a two bird limit 15 comitted would be 30 birds I would say that you are half way to your 60 birds its only DEC.I would think that you should be excepting birds by mid or late APRIL I ALSO THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE A STICKY WITH ALL THE INFO FOR THE RACE,THIS WAY ONE CAN GO TO THE STICKY TO GET THE INFORMATION WITHOUT GOING THROUGH A WHOLE LOT OF POSTS TO FIND THE INFORMATION. I have not comitted to this race because I feel that it is a bit early,I have not raced any birds for about 6 years and I will need to go thru the birds that I now have to find the pairs that I will breed the young for this race. These are just some of the thoughts that I have on this race GOOD LUCK DON'T GIVE UP YET GEORGE
Posted 18th December 2009, 10:06 PM

Do It Your Way.

There is one thing that I feel must be said YOU ARE THE HANDLER do what you plan to do just be sure that you treat all the birds the same .If you post all the things that you plan to do, I am sure that you will have many people tell you do it this or that way. I SAY DO IT YOUR WAY GEORGE
Posted 19th December 2009, 12:15 AM
How about a $50 perch fee per team of two and $50 entry fee for both birds? That way it’ll give some possible payback for the money spent. This guarantees money to payout, for the guys who like to get paid. Fifty dollars multiplied by 40 breeders gives you $2000 for feed and fuel. That should be enough to break even. Or, even drop that fee down a bit if at all possible, to get breeders thinking about getting in. As with what some of the guys are saying, somebody can save that money and enter a band race, etc, and get a chance to win their money back. But, more than that, most guys who send out birds do so to a few different races, and the money going out adds up. Not counting shipping cost.

It’s easier to get 40 entries (2 birds) than try to shoot for more.

That’s one thing…

Another thing…money issue aside, concerning the winner...since this is a PT bragging rights sorta thing...I would think recognizing winners in each race would be something the entries can feel good about. Instead of one winner (average speed) from all three races, maybe recognize 1-5th place winners in each race, and, the 1-2-3 average speed winners at the end. Any leftover money can be given to the average speed winner (s), if the $50 entry fee idea is not to be had.

It's only mental, but, it's always a good feeling to be recognized. Having only one average speed winner at the end takes away from the accomplishments of the winners in each race. Since there’s only 80 birds or less, maybe 1 through 5 to trap in each race get a “diploma”. I, or anybody can make an award using any of the templates available on the computer.

Money race (based on 40 paid entries = $2000):

Race 1 1st - 5th pays $50 each ($250 total)

Race 2 1st - 5th pays $50 each ($250 total)

Race 3 1st - 5th pays $50 each ($250 total)

Average Speed Winners

1st pays $700

2nd pays $300

3rd pays $250

Win money and bragging rights all in one.
Posted 19th December 2009, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by george simon View Post
There is one thing that I feel must be said YOU ARE THE HANDLER do what you plan to do just be sure that you treat all the birds the same .If you post all the things that you plan to do, I am sure that you will have many people tell you do it this or that way. I SAY DO IT YOUR WAY GEORGE
George is right!!! Do it your way, also you are half way there and it is not even Christmas.

One question, Bands, which 2010 bands are you accepting, NPA, IF, AU or all?

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Anne Frank
Posted 19th December 2009, 11:36 PM

Christmas Day Raffle

Hi everyone. I hope you all have a great Christmas. We will definitely have the race this year. Being that I am calling the shots I am making the following rule changes:

#1 There will be no $25 buy back, after the race you pay the shipping and I will send the birds back.

#2 On January 15 we will close registration. All remaining spots will be raffled to those who have signed up for two paid birds. These raffled spots will be free. If no one else signs up the 15 that have, will get 4 birds in the race for $100. We will get at least 60 birds in the race. Plus those birds from the Christmas raffle below.

To answer a few of the questions:

For rules and more info go back to the first post in this thread.

I will accept any 2010 band.

This race is mainly for bragging rights. As far as prize money I will have an option for an additional entrance fee (100% paid out) for those that want to participate. Only those birds that paid the additional fee will be eligible for the prize.

Christmas Day I will raffle off four, free, two bird spots into the race. You pay shipping and that will be the only expense. Open for anyone, especially those who have already signed up. If someone who already signed up wins, they get two free birds and can also send the two paid birds if they want. To be eligible for the raffle you must enter by filling in this form. Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited by Flapdoodle; 19th December 2009 at 11:54 PM..
braden
Posted 20th December 2009, 01:50 PM
What a fiascle this is becoming! Flapdoodle, I feel for ya!

You know, I can't afford the big dog races, so figured as a starter, this is great. I am new to all this, I am fortunate enough to have been set up with 2 pair of premium bloodline birds, neither pairs have been bred together before and I want to see how their offspring do. That's it, oh and I love to brag!!! My future plans for racing? I have none, this is a one time thing(at least that's my plan for now). I only want a handful for my personal fliers, will sell babies though if anyone is looking for great racing bloodlines.

So for $50 a bird, to find out what I have got going on here, that is a heck of a deal for me. I don't care how tight someones budget is, and mine is tight (house payment, car payment, regular bills, extensive vet bills on my old dog, etc...) but I can easily round up $50 per bird.

Ok, no hefty prize winnings? So? If the one loft race was going to have prize money, I'm sure the entry would be more than what Flapdoodle is asking. Then we would have people on here griping because the entry cost is too high. You want to fly for a prize, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) on the entry there was an option to get in on a pool 50/30/20 payout.

And who was griping about needing extra time to get their birds paired up??? Get off the stick and get it figured out now instead of waiting til the last minute. A timeline was already posted on when to get your birds paired up for this, seemed there was plenty of time to make arrangements. Like I said, I'm new to all this and even I could figure that out by counting backwards on the calender.

To George Simon: I am probably about to piss you off and I appologize in advance because sometimes things just don't come out right when you type them, but you know, all the bold printed statements in your post were already answered, had you followed the link in the very first post that started all this! If you went to that link, it clearly stated all the rules, expected arrival dates of YB, tentative race dates, etc... without reading thru all the posts on here.

Some of you are already starting to take the fun out of this and it hasn't even began yet! Remember, this was for FUN. And I think it will be fun, especially on here bragging. I think this is great that the people signed up are from all over the US and are well known for their birds. They are also very knowledgable and if their was a doubt in their minds they wouldn't have entered. I think it will be great for a regular person/ newbie, like myself, to go up against some top fliers. For me, it is a heck of a great way to see how "premium" my bloodline really are. After finding out what I have in my possession, I've been grinning ever since! (yes, that is me bragging)
Posted 20th December 2009, 04:17 PM
I agree, why can't we all just have fun?
Although I don't know how long that fun will last...when my birds start kickin' everyone's butts LOL.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
braden
Posted 20th December 2009, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Although I don't know how long that fun will last...when my birds start kickin' everyone's butts LOL.
Well, at least I could brag that my birds flew in a race with some top notch fliers, like yours! Now that's something not everyone can say! (they could if they would dig deeper into their beer funds and enter!)
Posted 20th December 2009, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Now you gonna have to kick real high cause I carry my butt on my shoulders. I'm having fun, how bout ya'll?

Merry Christmas,
Tony

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Anne Frank

Tags
one loft race