"OUR" First Annual One Loft Race - Page 6 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 28th December 2009, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapdoodle View Post
I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Congratulations to our raffle winners:

braden, hillfamilyloft, luckyloft, and Ace In The Hole

You each won two free spots into the race. You can send four birds, two free birds and two paid birds, or just send the free birds. It is up to you.

It felt great not to sit in front of a computer for a few days. Later tonight, I will work on reading the past posts and reply to any unanswered questions. I hope everyone has a Great New Year!!!
Cool I won. I will let Mark, ACE in the Hole, also know. I put his name in because he is short on funds and I wanted him to have representation. If he cannot do the shipping I will raise two birds off his stock that I have and send them for him. I hope this is ok with all of you. I have a few breeders and young birds off his stock. I will make sure I get mine together in time. We have not gotten over freezing in about a week. Right now the birds could care less about having fun. I am also short of funds this year, but if we are short I may be able to send a couple more in.

Randy

Randy

Posted 29th December 2009, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
Ha Ha. I see the "big boys" ain't entering this. I don't blame them though. Smart move.

It would be like a man fighting a woman. If the man wins, well, he was supposed to win. But if he loses. Then he will be soooo embarrassed.

It's the old "everything to lose and nothing to gain" situation.

You were shrewd to pick up on that. I think PT competition is a good friendly thing, and has been fun to read and watch. Please don't mistake my comments here, as throwing cold water on such postive things.

From a Professional's (that's what my accountant says I am) perspective:

Just like in Race horses, or even Show Dogs and Pro Boxers and such. Once you have won some things in some larger events, and are viewed as one of the BIG DOGS, then going forward, if you are going to be seen losing, then at least lose to the BIG BOYS and/or BIG DOGS. There is nothing to be gained in winning a lesser event, and everything to lose in terms of reputation. You want to be seen as moving up in stature, and you want to compete in events that no one really expects you to win, once they do, it's time to move towards more difficult events. Also, like in baseball, when a Pro moves to the minors, it is not viewed as a positive thing. Also, you would not send a $50,000 horse to a $1500 event. You want to send that horse to best race you can get him or her in. Same with pigeons, typically won't send a pigeon to an event which will cost $500 or more to enter, if I didn't think the bird was worth many times that much. Seems a bit counterproductive to send such birds to a race, where the total prize pool is only a single digit multiple of the value of the bird. The math simply does not work. This is why events where the top prize is only a few thousand does not appeal to me. Once one as gotten a taste of five figures prizes, it's hard to go back to "Just for Fun". This is a serious and fun business. But, at the end of the day, winning pigeon races is serious business. Everyone is free to approach this sport or hobby as they see fit. Except for my local sport promotion activities, where I engage in club building competition, in my other racing endeavors, I expect to be both a professional and deadly serious competitor. My days of "Testing" are over, it's time to collect more of your money, in my 2010 winnings !

PS

My wife says I am too "Cocky", I say it's simply a very high level of self confidence.

Last edited by SmithFamilyLoft; 29th December 2009 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Posted 29th December 2009, 02:32 PM
Don't get too Cocky Warren. There are a few fliers in our club that win at a higher level and still find it fun to get beat by the local guys. We have one that won one of the races at the San Diego Classic, another doing well at the Million Dollar Race, and my mentor who brings home money from the big races. You can always enter your birds under your dogs name and still play ball in the sand lot. My Nieces Fiancee is an NBA basketball player, but he still finds time to shoot around with the kids at the local orphanage. Maybe if one of the little guys can beat one of the big guys, it might just give them a little confidence of their own.

But if you don't think your birds are up for the challenge, I guess you can send them to the big races. Maybe they can give your birds a special up top perch. Ha Ha.

I personally am a bit worried about Becky. She already has a jump on all of us in the breeding loft.

Randy

Posted 29th December 2009, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillfamilyloft View Post
Don't get too Cocky Warren. There are a few fliers in our club that win at a higher level and still find it fun to get beat by the local guys........
Hey, I know it can be "fun" to get beat by a Jr. member, but going forward, what happens in York, stays in York, Pa. I don't have to send birds across state lines to get beat, I can do that in my own back yard. And then at least when that happens, hardly anyone hears about it...except when it gets published in the RPD, like it did the other year !!! ........

If you think I am going to enter an event like this one on PT, and risk a smack down by a girl like Becky !!!! NOOOOOOOO way !!! I would never live that down. Competition is just to tough !! I am not ready for this level of racing just yet !!

I think I will just sit on the sidelines, and watch Becky beat you guys !!! Is there gonna be a pool so I can lay some money on Becky to Win ?
Posted 29th December 2009, 08:00 PM
Warren. I totally agree with your outlook on this. As I stated in my previous posting, you would have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

However. (there is always a however, isn't there)

Even a prostitute makes love just for the fun of it, once in awhile. (don't ask!)
Posted 30th December 2009, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
Warren. I totally agree with your outlook on this. As I stated in my previous posting, you would have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

However. (there is always a however, isn't there)

Even a prostitute makes love just for the fun of it, once in awhile. (don't ask!)
I agree with Warren as well, but I won't touch your last comment

I think the bragging rights trophy is a great idea. Iím working on a few other prize ideas. If anyone else comes up with anything else feel free to post.

I know there have been questions about timing hatch dates, and sending birds, there is a lot of good information already posted. I would like to add, if you happen to get birds late that are not weaned in time for the two week window, ship them a little late, if you happen to have birds a little early ship them early. As I said in an earlier post I want to accommodate as many breeders as possible but preferably during the first two weeks in April. If someone is not going to make the two week window, letís talk about it here in the forum. It would be better to have weaned healthy babies that eat on their own and miss the shipping window then sending birds that still need mama.
Posted 31st December 2009, 01:26 PM
Maybe since we cannot get Warren to enter the race, maybe we can get him to donate a pair of young birds to the winner.

I will also be willing to donate a young bird or two off my Ikon/Magic Star bird or my Vic Miller birds. The babies off these bloodlines are going for around $300 each on Ipigeon. I could also donate a young breeding pair off my best birds.

This could help some of the new fliers on the post get some good birds. Many of the top name birds are out of reach for the average guy or gal.

Randy
Posted 31st December 2009, 01:39 PM
Sounds like an idea. Now I want to win even more

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 31st December 2009, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Sounds like an idea. Now I want to win even more
Thanks alot, I had a chance when Becky thought this would be fun. Now, thanks to you, she got serious!!! So much for the fun.

LOL Tony

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Anne Frank
Posted 31st December 2009, 02:11 PM
Well it looks like I will have to pull some of my breeders out of retirement,to breed a couple of birds for this race.GEORGE

Last edited by george simon; 31st December 2009 at 02:29 PM..
Posted 31st December 2009, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Thanks alot, I had a chance when Becky thought this would be fun. Now, thanks to you, she got serious!!! So much for the fun.

LOL Tony
Haha.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 31st December 2009, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillfamilyloft View Post
Maybe since we cannot get Warren to enter the race, maybe we can get him to donate a pair of young birds to the winner.

I will also be willing to donate a young bird or two off my Ikon/Magic Star bird or my Vic Miller birds. The babies off these bloodlines are going for around $300 each on Ipigeon. I could also donate a young breeding pair off my best birds.

This could help some of the new fliers on the post get some good birds. Many of the top name birds are out of reach for the average guy or gal.

Randy
Randy, why dont we get serious ? Take those special Ikon/Magic Star birds and send them to the 2010 Flamingo International Challenge....the winners or the winnings could be contributed to a much bigger project. With $10,000 + in winnings, many good projects could be undertaken.
Posted 31st December 2009, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithFamilyLoft View Post
Randy, why dont we get serious ? Take those special Ikon/Magic Star birds and send them to the 2010 Flamingo International Challenge....the winners or the winnings could be contributed to a much bigger project. With $10,000 + in winnings, many good projects could be undertaken.
Tell you what, you come up with the best, el primo YB you have in 2010, and you send it to the Flamingo International Challenge....I will pay the entry fees, you win the races, I win the money !!! I even share with you. See what bird you have that can win the 400 mile race. I got $400 burning a hole in my pocket. You can send your best, and become famous.
Posted 1st January 2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithFamilyLoft View Post
Tell you what, you come up with the best, el primo YB you have in 2010, and you send it to the Flamingo International Challenge....I will pay the entry fees, you win the races, I win the money !!! I even share with you. See what bird you have that can win the 400 mile race. I got $400 burning a hole in my pocket. You can send your best, and become famous.
It would not be my Ikon blood. I have not found the just right hen for him yet. The Ikon was a sprinter. I do not have the blood out to 300 plus yet. I would send a sibling to my LL 330 who was 3rd,3rd,4th, and 12th this year from 150-300 miles vs. 300+birds 2nd high points bird. He was out of a cross of my bloodlines. I also had 5 birds off of this bloodline return from the 400 this year. I about have the bloodline where I want it. 330s Sire and his two sibling that I bred from this year all had top 10% finishes. The foundation Grandparents bred equal first Alaska One loft race a small race and have bred first place birds in the club.

Now I would love to send them to the Flamingo, but dont think it right taking your money. It would be a great race to be in the money.

Randy
Posted 1st January 2010, 12:59 AM
I was just thinking big pedigrees might get people more excited about the race. I am just trying to help fill the loft up. I could send two of my big pedigree birds, you send two and the winner can have the birds that are left over. If you or I win then the second or third place winner gets the birds.

I also know of a few other lofts in the race that have some nice Bloodlines that could also donate a bird. Just think a six pack of big name blood goes to the winner.

I also have a daughter and granddaughter off Virenque the National Borgues winner that I can donate a young bird out of. I could donate a bird off of Buzz who has bred a bond winner, 300 mile winner and grandsired last years 3rd place club futurity bird. He is brother of my GJ futurity winner. I could donate a sibling of theirs.

we all know you are a generous man and you can donate birds to your local club, the juniors, etc. Help PT members out a bit here.

Randy

Tags
one loft race