"OUR" First Annual One Loft Race - Page 8 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 1st January 2010, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillfamilyloft View Post
I was just thinking big pedigrees might get people more excited about the race. I am just trying to help fill the loft up. I could send two of my big pedigree birds, you send two and the winner can have the birds that are left over. If you or I win then the second or third place winner gets the birds.

I also know of a few other lofts in the race that have some nice Bloodlines that could also donate a bird. Just think a six pack of big name blood goes to the winner.

I also have a daughter and granddaughter off Virenque the National Borgues winner that I can donate a young bird out of. I could donate a bird off of Buzz who has bred a bond winner, 300 mile winner and grandsired last years 3rd place club futurity bird. He is brother of my GJ futurity winner. I could donate a sibling of theirs.

we all know you are a generous man and you can donate birds to your local club, the juniors, etc. Help PT members out a bit here.

Randy

I could breed some birds off my big name pedigreed birds that should be awelsome on paper but it would be like giving sombody a curse I don't want to hurt anyones racing abilities!!!

Posted 2nd January 2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogsp View Post
I could breed some birds off my big name pedigreed birds that should be awelsome on paper but it would be like giving sombody a curse I don't want to hurt anyones racing abilities!!!
Ohiogsp

Don't get me wrong my Ikon bird has raised me winners and I bred off of his daughter last year and she gave me my best young and old bird of 2008. I was just commenting on which birds I would send to a 100-400 race series. Ikon was a sprint bird when you look at the distances he won at. The birds off my grandson are strongest at the 200 range. Our club flies 9 races where 7 of those are under 250. He is a good breeder to have around. At present all my established pairs have either bred me a winner or numerous top 10% birds. I have just finally figured out which distances the offspring can fly. All my new breeders about 10 are off these proven pairs.

If you look at my webpage what has done best for me at distance is that of my futurity winner. It was actually a one loft series of five races average speed from 100-370 miles that he won. These are what I would send to a 400 or a race like the Flamingo. I had 5 of these birds go to our 400 this year and all made it home. Looking at the PT race my Ikon blood might just be the ticket.

Our 400 is a five bird limit 65 bird $10 a bird winner take all. One crate only. This year it was early December in a snow storm and the birds ran out of daylight. 90% made it back the next day with no day birds. I was 12th and 13th. A fun little race.

Randy
Posted 2nd January 2010, 10:57 AM
On another note, I bred my Virenque daughter to Tiger a full Engels bird who was grandsire of my 2nd high points bird in our club out of around 600 birds that flew races. The bird had three top 10s and was 12th at 300 against 300ish birds in each race. This is in a club that has a 25 bird limit, 25 fanciers, with numerous fanciers seasoned with the best birds you can by. www.loslobosrpc.com.

Tiger was nest-mate to 2nd place 2004 Spirit of Colorado 200 mile race. A half brother won the 150 this year. He has bred winners and grand-sired winners every year for me.

In other words, I would not offer up junk birds as a prize for the PT folks. there is a chance they may not be winners or produce winners, but I would hope to minimize the chances.

Randy

Posted 2nd January 2010, 11:06 AM
Not to hog the post but something just came to mind about when you introduce birds whether big name or not into your loft. Schearlaekens states when introducing bloodlines into your family always cross them with a proven bird. This way you are only testing the new blood and how it crosses. If the offspring are better keep the new bird. If not get rid of it. This way the only thing in question is the new bird.

This year I am bringing in some Houben (Clausing) blood. I will cross them in with my proven breeders. An easy one year test. Big pedigree x proven breeder. If the offspring are better than what I have, then put the Houbens together and start a new family to cross in with mine. If not bye bye Houbens.

Randy
Posted 3rd January 2010, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithFamilyLoft View Post
Tell you what, you come up with the best, el primo YB you have in 2010, and you send it to the Flamingo International Challenge....I will pay the entry fees, you win the races, I win the money !!! I even share with you. See what bird you have that can win the 400 mile race. I got $400 burning a hole in my pocket. You can send your best, and become famous.
Yep....any post after 2AM...I am not repsonsible for !! Now here it is....3:51 AM, I didn't get to bed yet....so this post don't count either...
Posted 3rd January 2010, 10:20 AM

Does persistence count for anything?

My birds may not be fast but they do not give up. I had a bird come home Thursday from a race in the beginning of October. He must of walked all the way. Poor guy came back to a loft in shambles. I will be using the loft for our race. Currently no north wall, no landing board, and no floor. The loft improvements will be done next weekend. I will update with some photos when it is finished.
Posted 3rd January 2010, 06:23 PM
If it is no trouble, could you please paint two perches gold, and put in a small screen TV?

My birds are used to being pampered.
Posted 3rd January 2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
If it is no trouble, could you please paint two perches gold, and put in a small screen TV?

My birds are used to being pampered.
LOL Anything else? Peanuts served on a silver platter? Haha

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 3rd January 2010, 08:03 PM
The only thing my birds are asking for here is a heater and a hot tub. It is going to get around 3 degrees tonight. Come August they will need an air conditioner.

Randy
Posted 3rd January 2010, 08:17 PM
3 Degrees! Man, that is cold!
Posted 3rd January 2010, 10:12 PM
It was 5 degrees here when I woke up Sunday morning. I have been changing water for my horses, dogs, goat, and pigeons all day long. Had to get the water from the kitchen because it is too cold to get it from the outside faucet, obviously. Had to carry it a long way to the various animals. I am beat.

Can't wait until spring gets here.
Posted 4th January 2010, 10:03 AM
Thumbs up

Two "Flamingo Pink" Perches Please

You can count us in for 2 birds.
Posted 4th January 2010, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
It was 5 degrees here when I woke up Sunday morning. I have been changing water for my horses, dogs, goat, and pigeons all day long. Had to get the water from the kitchen because it is too cold to get it from the outside faucet, obviously. Had to carry it a long way to the various animals. I am beat.

Can't wait until spring gets here.
I have to do the same thing. Tried to turn the water on outside, nothing came out So I ended up taking a milk jug of hot water back and forth, up and down the hill trying to get everyone's water containers open. I wish someone would have told me it was supposed to get that cold yesterday. Lost two mason jars, and I was lucky to find two more the right size to fit the bottoms.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 4th January 2010, 11:28 AM
If you guys think that was cold, it is even colder here. Its about minus 5 to 7. My water heater couldn't produce enough heat to keep my waterers from freezing up. Burrr......it's that cold :P
Posted 4th January 2010, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
You can count us in for 2 birds.
I think Flapdoodle needs you to fill out the form under his avatar.

Tags
one loft race