Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 13th February 2010, 11:12 AM

Racing pigeons from Cuba

Spring is getting closer and every spring here in Key west we get banded racing pigeons from Cuba. Once in a great while they show up at other times of the year but 99% are in the spring. Over the years I have come to the conclusion that it is because that is when the raptors migrate north. These birds are some of the absolute nicest racing pigeons I have ever held, well not all but many. The Cubans really take their pigeon racing in a serious way, rooftop and backyard lofts can be seen all over, and with the average monthly pay at $20.00 they can not afford bad birds. The eyesign alone will melt you at the knees! I have about 10-12 in my loft right now and look forward to getting more this spring! Thought some of you might find this interesting, there is a whole different racing pigeon world only 100 miles away from the United States.

Posted 13th February 2010, 11:35 AM
Heard a couple of them are in springhill that are just starting there and doing well there.
They know what there doing
Posted 13th February 2010, 12:01 PM
I take it you are talking about Cuban people not birds. I have some friends in Spring Hill that really want to get some Cuban birds from me, but I race against those guys. I told Ken Cristopher the other day that I would send him one, he is in Utah so I figure not much direct competition. Yes, the Cubans know their stuff! There are about 6 or 7 or so here in Key West with racing pigeons, one is coming over Monday to look at some birds I have to sell. Over the years I have given them quite a few birds to get an interest started again, many had birds in Cuba.
Posted 13th February 2010, 12:03 PM
Please---don't forget I need Cuba racing pigeon bands for my collection--SOMEDAY?
Posted 13th February 2010, 12:10 PM
I already had that cup of coffee you sent, can't go back on my word now. First empty band is yours. I don't know if I told you, some of the bands are fairly old, 1990 I think is the oldest, but it is definatly not a 20 year old bird. I guess if I only made $20.00 a month I would be reusing bands myself. Jim
Posted 13th February 2010, 12:28 PM
Sky tx, Guess what I just found after reading your post (FCC 002757 2004)!!! I figured you have been waiting for years, and my Cuban birds all have two legs. All they really need is one to stand on, so... LOL Just kidding folks. In 2005 Hurricane Wilma sent 11.6' of water over the Keys, I lost 19 pigeons before I could swim them all the rest to my house. I put the bands on a string and tried my best to forget about them. You just kicked in the idea that there might be a Cuban band, and there was. Why don't you send me your mailing info again and I will send this band to you Monday. Jim
Posted 13th February 2010, 04:15 PM
I'm sure many of us in the pigeon talk community would love to see pictures! (If applicable!)
Posted 13th February 2010, 05:34 PM
I am willing to buy one of the pigeons from Cuba. Is there any way I could contact you about that?
Posted 13th February 2010, 06:04 PM
My # is 305-923-4970, and I will see what I can do about the pics. The eyesign is what I will work on most, something to see! Jim
Posted 14th February 2010, 12:16 AM
Many fliers in Cuba get AU bands sent to them from relatives in Miami.

People get eggs brought in from Cuba ALL the time, as people bring them over on returning flights from seeing relatives.

Also the Cubans doing well in Springhill had been living in the US flying in the MIAMI club for years.

Last edited by AJPDP; 14th February 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Posted 14th February 2010, 12:38 AM
Not sure what the point would be with the bands. Anything from a county on a terrorist watch list won't happen ALL the time, if it happens it probably isn't with the most honorable people. Lets say you wanted to sneek eggs to Cuba, what are the very best flyers in the US that would give them to you as part of your plan?
Posted 14th February 2010, 12:59 AM
I missed the last part of your post, and I personally think the Cuban racers in Spring Hill do well because they know racing pigeons. They know them like our very best did in the 50s or 30s.
Posted 14th February 2010, 05:28 AM
I have one of those gorgeous Cuban birds, he was handed to me by someone who found him and couldn't keep him. They are very smart and make good pets too.

Reti
Posted 14th February 2010, 07:48 AM
Well....First of all Cuban the government assigns bands to clubs who then assign them to members. Not everyone can be a member of a club so if you can get bands into Cuba from any where Cuban flyers will band them with those bands regardless where they are from. Secondly, I said nothing about taking eggs into Cuba, although it is done, more commonly the eggs are brought in to the US, more so as a novelty, as the birdS here (U.S) are better.

As for Cubans knowing racing pigeons...you are right they know pigeons and are good flyers, but my point is that the best "Cuban" pigeon flyers are from Miami, not Cuba. They have training methods, feeding systems that they developed here (in the U.S. )that make them really successful.

Last edited by AJPDP; 14th February 2010 at 01:52 PM.
Posted 14th February 2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimhalekw View Post
Spring is getting closer and every spring here in Key west we get banded racing pigeons from Cuba. Once in a great while they show up at other times of the year but 99% are in the spring. Over the years I have come to the conclusion that it is because that is when the raptors migrate north. These birds are some of the absolute nicest racing pigeons I have ever held, well not all but many. The Cubans really take their pigeon racing in a serious way, rooftop and backyard lofts can be seen all over, and with the average monthly pay at $20.00 they can not afford bad birds. The eyesign alone will melt you at the knees! I have about 10-12 in my loft right now and look forward to getting more this spring! Thought some of you might find this interesting, there is a whole different racing pigeon world only 100 miles away from the United States.
Are these birds that trapped into your loft from their races?