Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 10th December 2009, 02:54 PM

Sions. Too pretty?

Howdy. I have been considering purchasing some Sions from Sky Lake Sions and wondered if anyone has any experience in racing them?

I know that bbcdon has some, but as I understand it, he only recently got them and has not raced them yet.

I ask because they SEEM to be too pretty. On their web site they pay a lot of attention to how their racing birds do in shows, along with racing. I want racers only and not show birds. I also want long distance birds. But I do appreciate a good looking bird as much as the next person. So, I have been considering giving them a try.

I don't want anyone to put down anyones elses birds on here, so a private message would be fine, if you have any experience with them, good or bad. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I guess I should have asked in the title, "are they too pretty to win", because of course they can be raced. Any bird can be raced, but winning is a whole different thing.

Last edited by conditionfreak; 10th December 2009 at 03:02 PM.
Posted 10th December 2009, 05:01 PM
If my goal was to compete in 400-500 mile OB races I would go for it ! they are very nice birds. Here in my combine we fly 2 such races out of 15 so I don't keep any long end stuff.They do not seem to cut it in our area in the majority of the races.
I know Mike has done really well in his area in YB's and OB's
I wish we flew more long races but the YB seems to be king these days. If I had the room I would keep a seperate loft of 20-30 celibate hens just for the distance and I would be happy to have a dozen or more of Mikes birds on such a team. Space is at a premium at my place and I want the best bang for my buck so I keep a performance/Janssen based family the suites the majority of the races we fly.
Tom

Last edited by windyflat; 10th December 2009 at 05:08 PM.
Posted 10th December 2009, 05:13 PM
I am going to send some Skylake Sions to 1 loft races this year along with my other bloodlines. I too am curious how they will do. Yes, they are a beautiful bird, but I want to know how they do racing. I purchased some youngsters from his best birds, and will breed youngsters out of them to see how well they can fly.
Posted 10th December 2009, 08:16 PM
We have a combine show every year (hopefully we'll pick up the slack and get one in this year/early 2010). I put in as many of mine as I can that I think are pretty enough. It's all for fun, and if they get a ribbon, makes the bird look even better Although seeing show results on racer pedigrees tends to turn me away, if they have the race results to go with it, then that makes it better If all they had to say about a given bird was it won a show, I wouldn't think much of it as a breeder until it gave me winning babies.

I have a Skylake Sion cockbird from Don that I'll be breeding from this year. We'll see how the babies do He's a pretty bird. Has one of those heads where it doesn't stop, just runs right to the tip of the beak

I think it may just be in the strain to be pretty. I don't know that I've ever seen an ugly Sion, no matter what line or who it came from. I have Heitzman's Sion Strain book. It's full of pictures of his key birds. Many, many first places anywhere from 100 miles to 1,000 miles. The 1000 mile bird in particular I remember, was also commented on for it's great show looks.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 10th December 2009, 08:57 PM
I have one skylake cock and it produces a decient bird every year it seems like. I know one of the birds off him was second to my loft 3 or 4 times last year for yb's.
Posted 11th December 2009, 05:13 AM
I just purchased two Sion hens from Skylake....The reason I bought them is his results for the 500 to 600 mile races.....Two different races with only ONE day bird for 550 miles...And SKYLAKE had them BOTH !!!.....Need I say more ??.....And if the birds are good looking also,so be it....Who likes ugly birds anyway !!!.....Alamo
Posted 11th December 2009, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
I just purchased two Sion hens from Skylake....The reason I bought them is his results for the 500 to 600 mile races.....Two different races with only ONE day bird for 550 miles...And SKYLAKE had them BOTH !!!.....Need I say more ??.....And if the birds are good looking also,so be it....!!!.Who likes ugly birds anyway ....Alamo
me...specially that brings home the bacon
LokotaLoft
Posted 11th December 2009, 06:14 PM
to me with the skylake sions you cant go wrong , they have great race records and with nice looks to boot ,never heard or read a bad thing about them myself .
Posted 15th December 2009, 04:11 PM
conditonfreak,

Skylake has wonderful Sions! Another fancier in our club and I both have some of their birds. They flew well as youngbirds and were in the running for youngbird of the year, finishing 4th and 7th. The youngsters that I have bred crossing Skylake's with my own Sions have flown well for me this last year and the yearlings from '08 actually seem to be able to fly any distance out to 500 miles. I was tempted to try one of them on the 600 but the bird wasn't in good enough condition for the race. After another week it would have been but, the season was over. You must remember that you are playing a percentage game whenever you breed, no matter which "strain" you are breeding, but Skylake Sions seem to improve your percentage of good youngsters bred. I don't think you will hurt yourself with them at all.

Ralph

Last edited by pigeon_racer; 16th February 2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Posted 15th December 2009, 04:54 PM
I have a cock bird thats Sion.
They are good for long distance races.
If you are able to purchase a pair I would go for it.
You wont be disappointed.
Posted 15th December 2009, 05:03 PM
Quote:
I just purchased two Sion hens from Skylake....The reason I bought them is his results for the 500 to 600 mile races.....Two different races with only ONE day bird for 550 miles...And SKYLAKE had them BOTH !!!.....Need I say more ??.....And if the birds are good looking also,so be it....Who likes ugly birds anyway !!!.....Alamo
MY Wife and I for one like it!!!!!

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Anne Frank
Posted 15th December 2009, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Me!
Then again, I also think these guys are adorable!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/...a27539a274.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimspix/6838359/

LOL.

But no seriously, I do.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 15th December 2009, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Me!
Then again, I also think these guys are adorable!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/...a27539a274.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimspix/6838359/

LOL.

But no seriously, I do.
What IS that first one Becky? Pretty darned interesting bird. My friend, Bart, has Guinea Fowl, and I think they are beautiful but a tad on the wild and crazy side (and very loud when sounding an alarm)!
LokotaLoft
Posted 16th December 2009, 05:20 PM
ummmm guineas are far from pigeons but scanderoons are more on track ..so if you had racing pigeons that looked like scanderoons would you still feel the same ?
Posted 16th December 2009, 06:13 PM
any of you guys seen his auction this week....those birds are spotless from head to tow specially those silver/reds....

i would say buy a pair this week even if it goes to 150 or 200 a peice its worthed cause it worth 250 or more if you get it at his loft..... and bid on the very last minute so it wont go up the price.....its kind of robbing your opponent in fronthttp://www.racingpigeonauction.com/A...nCat.asp?ID=12

Last edited by bloodlines_365; 16th December 2009 at 06:27 PM.

Tags
sions

You may also search for: