Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 30th March 2009, 07:39 PM
Lots of people posting here. My mentor here locally is Steve Schnitkey, my AU mentor Tim Raess and brother Tony, Tad Fliczkowski, Jim Gabler, Don Kelsey, Linda (red rose lofts), and Vince Janson. All these people gave me some very nice birds and I thank them greatly.

Posted 30th March 2009, 08:24 PM
It's Sam Barfield's fault! He gave me a basket and two white birds for my daughter to release at her wedding two years ago June. I was hooked that day and have been since. Sam is my mentor, adviser, and bird supplier; but this forum is also my mentor and adviser. Lovebirds, spirit wings and Trees Gray have advised me the most on the care and love of birds, SmithFamilyLoft and learning the most on breeding and tracking, Luckyt on hawks, but mostly everyone here has an opinion and desire to help. Sam told me I could ask 100 pigeon owners and get 100 answers. So Luckt is right about gleaming your own info, and this forum is a wealth of information is which to gleam from.

I thank you all,
Tony
Posted 31st March 2009, 09:00 AM
My mentors have been my brother, who got started before I did and he was having too much fun for me not to get involved, and a man named Homer "Mac" McEwen in Lincoln, NE. He and my brother gave me most of my original Sions and helped while I was making my mistakes! He has since passed on and I miss him greatly!

Ralph
Posted 31st March 2009, 09:32 AM
I received help from out of area guys such as Warren Smith, Bruce Hammond and Steve Mistler. Not just with birds, but advise and with encouragement. A Mentor is almost a must to be successful in this sport.
Ken
Posted 31st March 2009, 11:25 PM
I wish to thank my brother's friend Marvin for being my mentor. He is the person who gave me my pigeons here in America resurrecting an old hobby. I also wish to thank the forum members at PT here because I consider you all as my mentors. And to those people who made pigeon websites that everyone can read I give my thanks as well. Thank you to George Simon as well for giving me some pigeons.

"I like to believe in people."
Jonathan Kent, Smallville
Posted 1st April 2009, 05:20 AM
I would like to thank Joel Alvarez. http://www.propigeonloft.com Without him I would have no birds. I would also like to thank everyone on here who has given me advice.
Posted 1st April 2009, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace in the hole View Post
....... Warren even Helped more than he wanted to.

Ace

Yea Ace....that was a little sneaky !......

Someone mentioned "Self Taught", well I think a good mentor, must encourage one to do one's "homework"....If you think a mentor simply is an automatic answering machine, then I think a very important point is lost or missing. Sometimes the best answer to a question, is another question. Even the best and most experienced mentor, does not have all the answers. So looking towards a mentor more as a guide, then as an "expert" with all the answers, is from my perspective, how one should view a mentor.

Rather then repeating myself, I will once again share the story of my orginal mentor.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...6&postcount=14

Today, I have a number of gifted fanciers, who have been willing to share of their time with me. I'm not going to drop their names in this post, only because I'm not so sure that it would be in good taste, as I would look like a "name dropper". Some are well known, and some are not, all of them have forgotten more about pigeons, then I even remember.
Posted 1st April 2009, 09:44 AM
This is a good thread, it has always been and should always be good practice to honor and remember those that has helped you.

As for me, I am pretty much self taught. I learned everything up to date by myself. A lot of the people I bought birds from just gave me their birds, take my money and .....

And like many of you said, teaching yourself is another great way learn but sometimes it would help if you could turn to someone for SOME advice. That is kinda how I feel sometimes, but this forum has been very good at substituting for a mentor. So I would like to thank all of you.
Posted 1st April 2009, 09:49 AM
I never had a mentor in pigeon racing. But I guess my mentor in life was my grandmother who raised me. To sum up her outlook and training to me would be this phrase that she would say many times over my childhood:

"Walter Jay. If something is worth doing, it is worth doing right". (this was usually proceeded by me not doing a chore incorrectly or lazily)

That is the outlook I have concerning most things in my life.

On a side note:

A neighbor of mine back in the late 70's and early 80's was an older man named Frank Governale (he may have been a past AU President. I am not sure). I joined the Original City Homing Club (OHC) and he was the man to beat.

We lived just a few houses away from each other in Cleveland and even though he was a crusty old geezer and I was a young Marine full of myself, we had pigeons in common. I obtained a few from him (for money that in todays terms would be a song, but back then was a lot for "pigeons", by a military guy with three kids). Maybe 10 to 15 dollars a piece or something like that.

I won my first race EVER with a bird from him. A 100 mile young bird race. The older guys in the club said it was luck (it was), but I did well in all of the races I entered. Back then Franks' birds were called "Governales". I have never heard the term since he passed. He died just a few years after I met him. I had never met his wife but was interested in obtaining some of his breeders after he died. Word was that she just wanted to get rid of them. I was too embarrassed to approach her about getting Franks' birds as he had just died and I didn't feel that it was the appropriate thing to do.

However, the birds had to be fed and watered and such, so I thought I would just offer to her my services to take care of them until she did whatever she was going to do with them. His loft was a second floor loft that had to be accessed via a ladder and I did not think that she could do it.

I approached her about taking care of them for her and she told me that the "pigeon flyers" had come and got his birds. I asked her if someone bought them all and she said "No, they just came and got them".

I did not hear anyone from the club Frank and I raced with, ever mention any of Franks' birds. So, I do not know who obtained them.

Frank was by no means a great guy IMO. But he was a great pigeon racer.

Like a lot of flyers I have met over the years. But I also have met some really great guys that were great racing pigeon flyers.

I guess that is just life. There are great guys that are great baseball players, and there are not so great guys that are great baseball players. I have never actually met in person, a female pigeon racer.

Last edited by conditionfreak; 1st April 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Posted 1st April 2009, 10:49 AM
Wow, nice words spoken about many of you on here. I hope to learn much here. I've always been a self learner, but I really want to do this right so I will probably ask many questions. I am trying to locate a couple white pigeons for my daughters wedding in June. Once I do, I realize I may lose them because it is so close to wedding time and I may not have enough time to get them homed. I hate the idea of losing them, but right now, I don't have anyone around here with pigeons. I may just have to scrub my plans of releasing them at her wedding. Regardless, I am going to raise some and offer that service to others later on. I also want to try to get some youngsters involved with pigeons, so they can learn more about life. Great thread everyone and thanks to those who have given so many people happiness with this great hobby.
Posted 3rd April 2009, 02:38 AM
Pigeontalkers,

I don't have any whites, now I regret that I don't. Surely someone on this site that has young whites could help this man out. If he gets the birds within the next week or two he could still have them far enough along to release from a short distance if his daughter is getting married somewhere relatively close to where he lives. If they are getting married at a distance too far their must be a white homing pigeon fancier close enough to help a father out with his daughter's wedding. Who knows you may just become a mentor yourself or find a new lifelong friend. I'm just sorry I don't have any whites to help you with Tenman1. If all else fails and we can't find you some whites I'm sure that people on this site would give you young to settle and release for you daughter even if they weren't white. I know I will if you need them.

Ralph
Posted 3rd April 2009, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman1 View Post
Wow, nice words spoken about many of you on here. I hope to learn much here. I've always been a self learner, but I really want to do this right so I will probably ask many questions. I am trying to locate a couple white pigeons for my daughters wedding in June. Once I do, I realize I may lose them because it is so close to wedding time and I may not have enough time to get them homed. I hate the idea of losing them, but right now, I don't have anyone around here with pigeons. I may just have to scrub my plans of releasing them at her wedding. Regardless, I am going to raise some and offer that service to others later on. I also want to try to get some youngsters involved with pigeons, so they can learn more about life. Great thread everyone and thanks to those who have given so many people happiness with this great hobby.
Tenman1......although I know that you're heart is in the right place, what you're planning on doing is a bad thing. I'm would hope that your daughter would be heartbroken to know that you turned birds loose at her wedding, for them to just get lost. I read this post earlier this morning and did some searching and I don't find anyone close to you that has a white release business. If you can't find someone to do this right, then you need to scrap the idea all together. Until you've seen a pigeon that is almost dead from starvation, you have no idea what it is that you would put the birds through, just to have them at your daughters wedding. It's not worth the birds suffering so that you, your daughter and the guests can have about 30 seconds of "oohing and awwing"..........
I sure hope that you will reconsider a release if it can't be done properly.
Now, if your daughters wedding is somewhere other than Waverly, TN and you care to post that location, I'll be happy to try to track someone down that might have a couple of white birds that they would be willing to release for you.
There are release businesses in TN, but most of them are in the eastern part of the state.
Posted 3rd April 2009, 08:30 AM
what about a racing club near the location of the wedding
someone MIGHT have a few white or almost all white homers that can be rented or loaned for the release
just a thought
Posted 3rd April 2009, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoN3d View Post
what about a racing club near the location of the wedding
someone MIGHT have a few white or almost all white homers that can be rented or loaned for the release
just a thought
That's what I was thinking too. I'll have to go through the AU and IF lists......the IF is pretty easy to search through, but the AU band lists has NO WAY to do a search..........I'll look though.
Posted 3rd April 2009, 08:39 AM
This is the closest club listed with the IF. You might call Karl and see if he can help at all. Don't know till you ask.

NAS
Nashville R P C
Karl Stadie
6651 Piney River Rd. N.
Bonaqua, TN 37025
(931) 670-6664

Tags
friends of the sport