Worst day ever - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 15th September 2010, 08:04 PM
Thumbs up

Just a thought we have 2 acres fenced here but also have a Llama on guard duty inside fence to keep dogs , coyotes , racoons skunks away from barn & bird pens. Works well cheap to feed, donkeys work as well very territorial. 4 years now no loses just a thought. Take care you are in our prayers. Ross

Posted 15th September 2010, 08:12 PM
Becky:

I'm so sorry to hear of this. I am taking your warning to heart, and adding a safety catch to the door of my loft... I was looking at it today, and wondering if I should. Guess so...

My birds are nowhere near the quality of yours, but if you need some young birds for some reason, please ask. I'd be happy to send them out if they would be of any value.

I hope you catch the culprit. Chances are, if it got a good meal, it'll check back again. Any chance it was a coyote or feral dog? Especially if you're in a rural area...

Best,

Don
Posted 15th September 2010, 08:26 PM
Thank you for your offer, very kind of you

I was wondering about the feral dog bit. A lot of the dogs/cats we see around here don't appear to have collars, so in that case, they are viewed as strays unless we know who they belong to, you know? As far as coyotes...my friend has said she's seen them, and I think I have heard them in the distance, but I personally have not seen any around my house. But I'm definitely not ruling them out.

I think if our dog was closer to the birds, rather than up here with us, then we'd have no problems at all. Since we've had her, there's been almost no visits by coons and possums. We did have some foxes come by though. She is...a she, so my mom doesn't want her roaming around at night. Regardless of her sex, we wouldn't want her getting hurt anyway. She's still young with lots of energy so it'll be a while before she's one of those lazy porch dogs that wouldn't leave the yard unless they have to, LOL.
Maybe I can talk my mom into letting me keep Nana down there in the chicken lot where she can ward stuff off. But mom is also disabled and feels safer with a dog up at the house, so it's difficult.

I say we need some giant attack geese or a german shepherd or something

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~

Posted 15th September 2010, 09:07 PM
It could have been more then just 1 dog. You should put at least a hasp and padlock on your loft As it even helps to keep kids out. A fence if its not at least 5 6 foot high dogs will still climb over.. years ago I had made a nice poultry area When i lived in the conutry chain link fence had 50 chickens 15 turkeys. 6 ducks. Neigbors about a 1/4 mile away had 2 german shepards They cam one day climbed the fence kill all the turkeys all but 3 chickens. Went to the neighbors they said they would keep ther dogs put up And replace the birds. Well a week later they did it agin went back through a dead duck on there porch told them they would have to bury it and if there dogs were on my property agin i would kill them. Then they new i meant what i said They chained there dogs up Never replaced any birds But they never let there dogs roam agin As they new what would happen.. That Tulsa bird what loft in Tulsa did it come from. Hope your birds get better If i still had any birds i would surely send you some But I do not have any more birds.
Posted 15th September 2010, 10:02 PM
Becky!!

Just saw this thread!!

How very devastating! I am so very sorry!

Sure hope you can find out who the culprit is!

Sending comforting thoughts with Love and Hugs

Shi
Posted 15th September 2010, 11:19 PM
Unhappy

My heart bleeds for you. I know how much I love all my birds, and we all know how much you love yours. This is an awful thing to have happened. I'm truly sorry for all your losses, and I hope the ones that survived have a speedy recovery. Sincerely, Joni
Posted 15th September 2010, 11:21 PM
That's sad Hope the injured ones get well soon.

Going to court is ok but then you should first ascertain if it was the neighbours dog, for the matter of your conviction and proof for the courts.
Posted 16th September 2010, 01:28 AM
I am very sorry to hear the news. Put some padlock and don't just trust the latching mechanism. I have a raccoon here at my place and it tries to do anything to get in. Never underestimate animal's intelligence. With respect to getting the proof, I think when you catch the animal using a trap, then that might prove it a little bit, but it will probably still not hold in court. You will probably need a saliva DNA from the culprit animal and compare it to a found DNA from your birds as evidence, but that might be too expensive to do and might not be too much practical.

I think you will learn a lot from this experience. I feel your heartache and I know how it feels like to find dead birds in a loft. I can't blame you for getting mad. Releasing your anger by sharing/talking your experience here will definitely helps you recover. Cheer up! Perhaps you can breed the PT bird after you get it back.

"I like to believe in people."
Jonathan Kent, Smallville
Posted 16th September 2010, 03:04 AM
Becky, I'm so sorry this happened to your birds....I feel your pain and anger
We don't have a whole lot of farms left up here, but the one's that are left have llama's (or alpaca's) in with the livestock. I hear they make great watchdogs.
Hope all the others recover.

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 16th September 2010, 05:16 AM
Mary, I am so sorry about this horrific experience. Trapping sounds like a very good idea as it will probably be back. As for coyotes, I've seen one near my neighborhood here in Va. I watched a documentary showing coyotes trotting along in a busy urban area without being noticed. They are masters at "invisibility". Could have even been a pack of stray dogs, though. They "feed" off each others energy. Did your Mom notice your dog becoming agitated during that time I wonder?
Posted 16th September 2010, 05:54 AM
Sorry about the dog Becky. Have Dad give the dog warren a call and bring out a dog trap. I bet you money that dog doesn't have collar one on. Had a cat get a bird out of a cage about 3 weeks ago. Nothing left but feathers here. Still having hawk problems here as well.
Posted 16th September 2010, 06:13 AM

Blank

Becky, I can so feel what you are going threw, no words like anger pain disbelief could discribe how I felt when this happened to me many years ago, I thought I had everything covered as I am more then certian you did. One day I can home to the same picture and it was more hurt and not knowing how to care for so much, I, trying to be as tough as I was, cried for days. It did not end that day, I had to do things that I never thought I would have to, All I am saying is Becky, I think we are all here for you. >Kevin
Posted 16th September 2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
I say we need some giant attack geese or a german shepherd or something
Geese are excellent security against stray dogs!
Posted 16th September 2010, 09:39 AM
I saw your thread and tried to think about what to say, and the only thing to say is I am very very sorry for your loss Becky.
Kurps
Posted 16th September 2010, 09:41 AM
it could have been a fox...how are the other birds doing??? any change ., are they getting better