Worst day ever - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 16th September 2010, 09:43 AM
That's terrible news Becky....so sorry to hear about your loses. It's always tough when you loose your best birds, specailly in this type of fashion.

Holla with a PM if you need anything.

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 16th September 2010, 11:07 AM
this happend to a gal that bred alot of birds, she just about kept and sold everything.... two huskys one day just about wiped all of her birds out, she had probabaly 100 or more birds.... and just two husky dogs did all that... I don't know what to say...but things will be better in time.. hopefully you will catch the culprit/s.... I want to go home and check my birds now...it could happen to just about anyone, esp in a rual area..
Posted 16th September 2010, 11:24 AM
We soon realized there wouldn't be any easy way to prove which dog did it, so I'll just have to deal with it I guess. I agree, it could have easily been more than one dog. We have had foxes visit our chickens, but they usually only kill what they can eat. Me and my dad both agree this sounds like a young dog was chasing the birds, killed them, and then repeat. It was a game to it/them. I think it was a pretty bird dog since the majority of the birds were hurt in some way or another.
My dad had the same thing happen when he was younger too. He had a wire front on one of his small lofts I believe. The neighbor's two prize German shepherds came over and tore through the wire and killed all the birds. The sad thing is the dogs had just gotten back from being trained to stay in the yard and not leave it.
About the latches, we will definitely change them out as soon as we can. My dad made the ones in that loft out of wood and such. Now I need to change out all the latches on the other lofts as well since they could probably be easily opened if the dog managed to push the latch back.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~

Posted 16th September 2010, 12:12 PM
Becky, I am so sorry. This is just devastating. I can only imagine how you must feel, but you are right in that it is so hard to prove who did it. It sure is a wake up call to all of us who think their birds are secure. Go out and check again, and see if there isn't something else you could do or add to make it more secure. I hope your surviving birds will heal soon. It may be a while before they feel safe again though. So sorry.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 16th September 2010, 07:33 PM
Becky
Let me know if you need a pair or two of breeders. I could also breed you some young birds next season. Shipping and they are yours.

Randy
Posted 18th September 2010, 12:06 AM
I am sorry about your loss. My home security is my pitbull. I picked up some squeakers last week..they had the yellow down on their heads but are now feathered out.
These yb were bred from Riley Roberts out of Brunswick, Ga. The parents come from Spring Hill, Netherlands, King Cup Futurity entries.
They do not have pedigrees but these pairings have bred consistent clock birds for other fliers.
I was given 13 ybs to help me get started. I would like to help you recover from your loss. I can give you 4 ybs plus a 4 bird shipping box. You will just have to pay for the next day air shipping like $60.
Send me a pm and I will take pictures for you and you can choose which ones you would like. They are banded IF GIG (Golden Isle Georgia) and IF Foys.
I would say they are now around 35-45 days old.
I can tell you these ybs are worth having..people do not send trash to Futurities and the parents of these ybs are some crazy expensive birds that are proven racers.
I have already started deworming as a preventative and have bathed them in Permithrin-10 solution..these squeakers are sweet. I think you will love them.

Last edited by JaxRacingLofts; 18th September 2010 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: 2010 IF Bands are blue
Posted 18th September 2010, 12:46 AM
i dont understand why animals cant respect other peoples property. sorry about ur birds hope u get back on track soon and ur birds get well.
Posted 18th September 2010, 07:38 AM
Thank you everyone We have such wonderful people here on PT.

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 18th September 2010, 07:55 AM
Location: Antwerp Belgium, formerly Cologne, Germany, formerly San Antonio, Texas (birthplace)
Sorry to read about your loss, Becky.

Can't add anything different than what any of the others have posted, but I agree with you and ptras, geese might be a good idea.

The "sacred" geese at the temple of Juno in Rome alerted the Romans to the invasion by the Gauls at night, and their racket helped save the city.

Larry
Posted 18th September 2010, 08:45 AM
Becky, how are the rest of the birds that got injured? Hope everybody is recovering.

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 18th September 2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfreebird View Post
Becky, how are the rest of the birds that got injured? Hope everybody is recovering.
So far everyone is doing just fine!

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 18th September 2010, 12:55 PM
SO SORRY FOR YOU AND THE BIRDS YOU LOST I HOPE ALL INJURED MAKE A FULL RECOVERY.
yOU SAY YOU ARE NO NEARER TO FINDING THE CULPRIT.iT MAY WELL OF BEEN A FOX .aLTHOUGH YOU SAID THEY ONLY KILL WHAT THEY EAT I BELIEVE THEY WILL KILL ALL INSIGHT AND THEY USUALLY IF ALLOWED RETURN AND COLLECT AND BURY DEAD ANIMALS FOR ANOTHER DAY.hE MAY WELL HAVE BEEN DISTURBED.
a FRIEND OF MINE LOST 20 GEESE TO A FOX ONLY LAST WEEK.HE CAUGHT THE ACTION ON HIS CCTV AND SET A TRAP FOR THE FOX WHICH WAS RETURNING EVERY HALF HOUR TO COLLECT THE DEAD GEESE.eITHER WAY I WISH YOU AND YOUR INJURED BIRDS WELL.
Posted 18th September 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm so very sorry for the losses, Becky, but very glad to see our members here at Pigeon-Talk offering to help if they can.

Terry
Posted 19th September 2010, 10:17 AM
I am so very very sorry for your loss. What a horrible thing to come home to. (((((hugs))))
Posted 19th September 2010, 11:29 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Becky. Though I don't know you well, I know that you take excellent care of your birds, and it is such a shame that you had to loose them Are the survivors doing any better?