Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Daily > Pigeon & Dove Stories

Notices

Posted 10th June 2010, 10:20 PM

The Brat Pack

I love this; you have a whole forum here titled “Stories”. Awesome.

I’ve been considering how to write this so as not to bore those already familiar with some of the details. Whether fact or fiction, a story is meant to be entertaining (of course that may be the Irish in me).

So, lets start with a cast of characters. I can’t really tell a story without including everyone, it’s all about dynamics, but considering this is a pigeon forum, lets start with Ollie. She has a complicated beginning that is no doubt familiar here.

Ollie is my rescued Rock Dove (yes, I know they’re called Rock Pigeons now, but if I use the term "Rock Dove", people don’t treat me like I have the plague with wings). I found Ollie outside the mall doors across from my office tower in downtown Edmonton, Alberta, at the end of September 2008. Two weeks after my birthday. He was about two-weeks-old, with enough posturing attitude to keep mall security at bay for three days before maintenance was called to dispose of him. Which is when I scooped him in a box and he spent a quiet afternoon (not counting the fire drill) under my desk in one of the largest law firms downtown.

The Wildlife Rehabilitation Society pronounced Ollie healthy, but wouldn’t take pigeons because they aren’t considered indigenous and they have limited funding. Ollie would not have been flying or acclimatized in time for winter and by spring, Ollie was terrorizing the dog, stalking cat tails and addicted to bells. Three days after Easter she laid her first egg and became “Olive” rather than “Oliver”.

Believe it or not, Ollie’s best buddy in residence is my oldest cat, Darby, who sleeps by her cage and purrs ecstatically when she comes out and with whom Ollie plays Tail Tag. Darby is a 14-year-old long-haired calico from the SPCA, who has been called my “familiar” by outside sources.

Chase, my 13-year-old long-haired blue tortoise-shell, is also a rescue and despite never having twitched wrong, is the wild card of the pack. She is beautiful, I can hold her like a baby and she purrs me to sleep, but there is something about Chase that on occasion inspires a nervous laugh.

Max. In the last month, I’ve been calling Max, my 6-year-old Cocker Spaniel/Bichon (think Cocker Spaniel with a bad perm), the “bug eater”. Those of you familiar with Bram Stoker, know who I’m talking about with no explanation needed. Max, who is trained with both verbal and hand commands, has completely lost his little brain in the last month because of Joule (as yet to be introduced). He’s jealous; I’m just not sure of whom and I don’t think he knows either.

Joule is the baby brat. Joule is the proverbial fly-in-the-ointment. Joule is a 4-month-old Black-Headed Caique who is inspiring all kinds of mayhem and mutiny within the ranks. She knows her step-ups, potty, come and go, and we’re working on “drop it”. She’s very quick at picking up whistles (including whistling for the dog).

Finally, just for added colour, there is Whyo, Spica and Nila, my cast of Giant Betta. And if you got through all that, kudos! That’s the basics. I promise my posts will be more… concise in the future.

Last edited by Cyreen; 18th January 2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Apologies in advance, I sometimes skip words when I'm tired.
Posted 11th June 2010, 03:41 AM
What a cast of characters! Can't wait to hear more!
Posted 11th June 2010, 09:58 PM
Thumbs up

The site is in for a treat!!

What terrific birds, cats, dog and fishies you have, Cyreen!!

Can't wait to hear more either!!

Have you considered writing a book???

Love, Hugs and Scritches to ALL

Shi and the gang
Posted 12th June 2010, 07:44 AM
Forums are better - no trees harmed when posting.

Poor Ollie has been learning from observation.

Considering her egg production, she's very definitely adopted me as mate, but tends to treat me as her indentured servant. She is Cleopatra reborn as a pigeon, with a Machiavellian twist (I've watched her lay eggs from her top perch, while watching between her toes for the splat). Touching is only necessary when Ollie chooses to.

So you can imagine her confusion when suddenly I have this little bright bundle of bouncing feathers vying for my attention, clinging to my hands and body surfing my collar in complete adoration. Joule.

It's kinda funny watching Ollie practice charm (not that I'd laugh - she'd never forgive me).
Posted 17th June 2010, 10:42 PM
I met a very nice lady online who happens to own Joule's sibling born a year earlier. It just so happens, she took her little guy, Abu, to visit the new babies this year and as a result, she has baby pictures of Joule and her clutch mate (who was already gone by the time Joule picked me).

Baby Caiques!
Posted 18th June 2010, 04:24 AM
How adorable!
Posted 18th June 2010, 05:26 AM
Hi Cyreen, I always look forward to reading your posts! You have a wicked sense of humor! Alex
Posted 18th June 2010, 03:45 PM
Thumbs up

Alex...you have nooooo idea...Cyreen is an absolute riot!!

Those two babies are just tooooo cute, Cyreen!

Can't wait to hear the latest adventures of your troops!! I just know that Joule, especially, is always thinking up some new mischief! She knows the meaning of life being a box of chocolates! She's gonna get all of 'em!

Love, Hugs and Scritches to ALl

Shi and the gang
LokotaLoft
Posted 18th June 2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyreen View Post
I met a very nice lady online who happens to own Joule's sibling born a year earlier. It just so happens, she took her little guy, Abu, to visit the new babies this year and as a result, she has baby pictures of Joule and her clutch mate (who was already gone by the time Joule picked me).

Baby Caiques!
ohhhhh how I love the Caique ,you are one lucky person to have that type of joy within your house hold .. enjoy your baby as they are truely a great addition to anyones home if they have the time to keep one
Posted 19th June 2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBOY View Post
Hi Cyreen, I always look forward to reading your posts! You have a wicked sense of humor! Alex
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr squeaks View Post
Alex...you have nooooo idea...Cyreen is an absolute riot!!
Holy crap - NO pressure there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokotaLoft View Post
ohhhhh how I love the Caique ,you are one lucky person to have that type of joy within your house hold .. enjoy your baby as they are truely a great addition to anyones home if they have the time to keep one
Goes without saying. I'm blessed by the whole pack.

Chase (the wild card)

This being Saturday, I rolled out of bed, made coffee, gave soft food to the patiently waiting kitties (the one day they don't rrowl for it, is the one day they know they get it), slipped a wedge of peanut butter toast to NOT patiently waiting Joule. At some point today Max will get a chew (his Saturday treat), but Ollie...

I make Ollie a seed salad when she's brooding (seed, olive oil, garlic and crushed egg shell), but she needs a Saturday treat. I was thinking of trying apple sauce, unless someone has a better suggestion?
Posted 19th June 2010, 10:42 PM
Smile

I make Ollie a seed salad when she's brooding (seed, olive oil, garlic and crushed egg shell), but she needs a Saturday treat. I was thinking of trying apple sauce, unless someone has a better suggestion?

Don't know about the applesauce, but would suggest Safflower or Hemp seeds...Squeaks' favorite, along with those canada peas that come in their seed mix.

Not too sure about the applesauce but will let someone else comment...

Love and Hugs
Shi
Posted 19th June 2010, 11:18 PM
She gets sunflower seeds as treats, but that's an everyday kind of thing (not a lot, just a few hand-fed). Everybody else has a "Saturday" treat. Considering all the fresh fruit and veggies Joule scoffs down on a daily basis and she has her Saturday peanut butter toast, I'm feeling a bit bad for Ollie.

My mom and sister were here for coffee earlier (it's the first time my sister had met Joule). Ollie was out on top of her cage stretching those lovely wings and evidently decided that Joule had hogged enough of the attention. I was sitting on the floor with my back to Ollie's cage when she flew down to my shoulder. Needless to say, she scared the crap out of Joule, who just heard the incoming BIG wings (they both sound very different when they fly).
Posted 20th June 2010, 10:02 PM
Smile

Where was Joule at the time?

Does Joule consider Ollie a predator?

Love and Hugs
Shi
Posted 21st June 2010, 11:28 PM
Joule was completely absorbed in hand-wrestling. No, my winged divas are good; Ollie just caught Joule by surprise. Joule went and chewed on my sister, while Ollie had some face time. S'all good.

On another note, Spike (aka Spica) has decided to try tail biting for a change of pace. He looks very sad.

In the last two weeks I moved his tank from the bottom shelf to the top shelf (following the demise of the previous occupant). It was promotion. On the bottom shelf, Spike was on level with all the furry kids and routinely had nose prints on his tank.

I think he misses his furry kids. He's being demoted.

Last edited by Cyreen; 22nd June 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Posted 22nd June 2010, 11:44 AM
Spike is beautiful!!

I bet he did miss the "view" from his home! Glad you put him back. Will be interesting to see if he stops biting his tail!

All the best with love and hugs to your great group!!

Shi and the gang

Tags
caique, cat, dog, fish, rescued pigeon