Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 4th August 2007, 09:18 PM

Baby dove with broken jaw

Hello Everyone! It seems like ages since I've been on here. My babies are doing good, Winnie and Brodie finally started getting along (it only took them months, lol) and are constantly trying to hatch little ones (I almost feel guilty for not letting them, I just can't afford to have any more little bird brains running around). They moved out of my bedroom (which they owned and took weeks to intensely clean) and into their outdoor, above ground, aviary which is basically bigger than my first apartment. lol. They love it and they're happy. I promise I'll post pictures of it, and them, soon enough.

But, onto the dilema at hand. Since the construction of the aviary we have had a lot of little morning doves hanging around (mostly for food droppings). I got the great opportunity to even watch a fledgling on his first few weeks of life being fed by his mother and father, while I was shingling the aviary roof. He has been hanging around ever since, and is now probably about two months old. This morning, while I was doing my bird feeding, I noticed him under the aviary. Usually if I get close enough they fly away, but he just sat there. I walked around closer to him, and he hopped a little. I noticed half of his face was completely ripped to shreds (sorry for the graphic picture).

I got closer, grabbed him, but he got away and flew to the neighbors garage roof (I thought this to be an excellent sign, that at least he was strong enough to fly). I was worried and checked back five minutes later and he was back under the aviary. I grabbed a sheet and caught him, put him in one of our large dog cages winnie and brodie used to sleep in, with food and water (with apple cider vinegar). I figured if it was that easy for me to catch him a racoon or cat would have NO difficulty, so he needed to be inside for a few days until he can escape a preditor. I put some antibacterial ointment on the side of his face (thats what they always told me to do for my quail when they had "boinking" injuries).

I had to go to work right away and came home about an hour ago. The food was scattered everywhere, giving the illusion that he had eaten some. I piled it all back together and it was about as much as I had given him this morning. There was no real poop in the cage, just some white "poop casing" smeared in a corner. This scared me. I put some safflower in the cage, figuring thats winnie and brodie's favorite treat, so if anything he'd eat that. He kept picking at it, for about twenty minutes, while I watched. I dont think he got a single piece actually in his mouth. He could pick it up with the edge of his beak but he'd drop it again.

He swatted at me when i tried to pick him up, which I thought to be a good sign, but then he didn't put up much struggle once I had him in my hands. I looked closer at his injuries, and noticed his entire jaw was swolen. his bottom beak is offset from his top beak, and he has a blister looking lump on the right side next to where his beak meets his face. His left eye is still very alert and knows exactly what is going on, but his right eye, i fear, is completely gone, or at least, for now, covered in scab. I figured he needed some food fast, because it must have been almost a whole day since he had eaten last, so I mixed up some chick starter and syringe fed him like I used to do with Winnie when he was a baby. He ate it very willingly, and I think I got a good amount in him. His crop, although its a lot harder for me to tell on a feathered bird than it was for me to do when winnie was a featherless runt, looked bigger than when i started. I cleaned him all off and put more antibacterial ointment on him and sent him back in the sock nest i'd made for him.

So, basically, I'm asking for any and all advice. You guys have always helped me out and steered me in the right direction so I know you won't fail me now. Tell me what to do. Thanks guys!

Caitlynn

Posted 4th August 2007, 09:33 PM
Caitlyn,
It would be helpful if you could post a picture. Have you any idea how long ago the injury occurred? Did you notice the bird looking ok yesterday, for example?

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 4th August 2007, 09:48 PM
Do you have any antibiotics on hand and if so, what are they? This should
include any leftover prescriptions for humans on hand. Then any pictures that
you can take and post. Make sure you wash hands thoroughly before and
after handling this bird, especially when going to handle/feed your own.
Thanks for taking this one in, no doubt it wouldn't have survived yet another
predation.

fp
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:02 PM
I should have thought to upload pictures right away, i'm sorry, dumb me. Ok, here are a few close ups I just snapped. He wasn't a big fan of the flash. The white is the antibacterial ointment, he kind of made a mess of it after i put it on him, the other white thing is a safflower seed i guess he tried to eat and got stuck to the ointment.

I hope this picture is clear enough. It looks a little different in person, but thats the way everything is.

I didn't see him yesterday actually, which is weird because usually I see them every day. We have a few wild cats roaming our neighborhood, and lots of racoons. My immediate reaction was that it had to be an animal attack, but looking closer I thought maybe its a disease. I mean, it doesn't look like what I've been told canker looks like exactly, but i'm no expert. I still think he might have been attacked just because a lot of his back feathers are missing and hes got a lot of scabbing. I checked out that chevita diagnosis site and went over everything but could find nothing that seemed like his case. He hasn't lost his appetite at all like most of the sicknesses on there. Hes really really hungry, he just can't get any of the food in him unless I do the feeding.

Posted 4th August 2007, 10:05 PM
ouch, the pictures look a lot worse i think than it actually is...especially with all the saflower stuck to his face.

umm, as far as prescriptions, you name it we have it, we pretty much never finish our antibiotics, and have a few cabinets full (we've been a pretty unhealthy family the past few years). I mean, give me a name of something and I can look, if its a general drug for something common, we probably have it.
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:06 PM
Oh yes, i'm being highly precautionary, antibacterial soap and hand sanitizer everywhere. I'm a germ freak to begin with.
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:17 PM
So the swelling seems to be mostly on one side?

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:17 PM
Cipro/Baytril, Metronidazole/Flagyl, Doxycycline, Augmentin....

Let us know what you have.
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:32 PM
umm, yes it is only one side. The other side is entirely normal.

Ok, this is what I have...

Tobradex (eye drops)
cephalexin/keflex (in capsule form)
biaxin (in pill form)
ciprofloxacin (ear drop form)

and bactroban (not over the counter, but perscription)

Anything else I can get, but I have to wait until monday. My mom works for a pediatrician and if I just tell them i'm sick and need ____ they'll write me a script.
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:38 PM
cephalexin/keflex, the strength?

fp
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:41 PM
I'd prefer Baytril(Cipro) and Metronidazole combination for this bird. It may not
have suffered a predator's attack, but be a pretty sick bird. I'm thinking canker
plus infection and the combination of the two would cover a wide range.
Do you happen to have any Colloidal Silver?

fp
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:48 PM
The dosing for Cephalexin, PO or IM is 35-50mg/kg every 6 hours, or 50-100mg/kg every 8 hours, or 100mg/kg every 12 hours for 7-10days from
the formulary for pigeons in Exotic Companion Medicine Handbook.

fp
Posted 4th August 2007, 11:20 PM
There are a thousand grams in a kg (kilogram). Can you find the weight of the bird? The rest is just the math.

fp
Posted 4th August 2007, 11:31 PM
Do you think it is possible for me to wait to medicate him until monday and just make sure he eats and keep applying the bactroban? I can get just about anything on monday, and that way I can get it in smaller doses (because I only have pills of the meds you spoke of and there is no way I could get it into as small of a dose as he would need, hes really tiny...I'd be scared i'd give him too much if I guesstimated) and I can't get anything else until monday.

The good news is he pooped. Two little ones, but I think they are decent size for his size (i'm used to giant winnie and brodie poops). They were substance and not just the clear white casing. This is the first hes actually pooped since this morning so I think the feeding is getting him something. I fed him once more and put him back to sleep. His crop was very full and he seemed very anxious to eat when he saw me grab the syringe....I think hes got the idea syringe = food now. I cleaned him off again and his bad eye is now open a quarter of the way, so I think thats a good sign, that means his eye is still there. He seems a lot more alert than before too, squirming when I was trying to clean him and getting mad at me.
Posted 4th August 2007, 11:35 PM
i could easily weigh him, thats no problem, we have a pill scale or something my mom said, its just cutting the meds because they are pills...i'd have to cut them into like 18ths or something and theres no way i'd get even close to a accurate measurement. I'm really confused how the whole med dosage thing works, my mom knows more about it cuz shes a nurse, and she said theres no way we'd get a close measurement and if we could wait till monday it would be better. So the question is do you think he'll be fine until monday or will it get worse? I dont want to put him in any danger of having it get worse, but i dont want to cause more harm than good by giving him the wrong dose.

Tags
apple cider vinegar, avian vet, baby food, baby pigeon, colloidal silver, eating seeds, pet pigeon, pet store, puppy chow, rehydrating solution, sick bird, soaked puppy chow, wild bird, wildlife rescue