Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 20th April 2013, 06:14 PM

Found a white dove/pigeon with orange band on leg

I found a white dove or pigeon hiding in a bush in the woods. It does not fly, and has a blank orange plastic band on it's leg. The tag is just blank, it has no numbers or letters on it.

How do I find out if it is a dove or a pigeon?

The main thing I want to know is what the blank orange band means.

This racing and homing "sport" sounds cruel to me, I do not want to return it to that lifestyle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bird.jpg (95.8 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Lovie Dovie; 20th April 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Posted 20th April 2013, 06:46 PM
What state are you in? A little over a year ago I lost my pet white homing hen with a orange band. It had #15 on it but may have wore off. Do you have a picture of the band on it? Im in Nebraska.
Posted 20th April 2013, 08:13 PM
Don't like racing either. If you cannot find the owner, you may as well keep him/her as a pet. They are great pets by the way. Most people do not know that. But it would be nice that he can have a companion/mate.

Please feed her/him seeds; pigeons seeds or dove seeds. Veggies are given only like a treat, otherwise their poop will be too watery. Seeds: millet, milo, safflower,sunflower ( these one without shell), corn, peas.Veggies: fine chopped carrots, lettuce, spinach. But if she is not used to them, it will take a while until she likes it. Provide a bowel of fresh water daily.

Any idea why she doesn't fly? How is her poop?
Thank you for rescuing her. She is lovely!
Posted 20th April 2013, 08:22 PM
I have no idea why it is not flying, I do not see any visible injuries. I am going to lift up its wings and have a look underneath.

I would love to keep it. I love all animals.

I am in Texas, will post a photo of the band soon.

I am giving it flaxseed, shelled raw sunflower seed, and finely chopped raw fruits and veggies.
I put a big, deep bowl of water in front of it but it is not drinking.

So is it a pigeon, or a dove?

This homing and racing industry seems exploitative to me.

Will any type of bird make a good companion or does it have to be a pigeon/dove?
Posted 20th April 2013, 10:44 PM
That is a pigeon and quite a lovely one! A companion bird would need to be another pigeon. A dove is a bit too small and docile to be a companion to a pigeon. Hookbills are out .. totally different type of bird from a pigeon.

Thank you so much for assisting this lovely pigeon!

Terry
Posted 20th April 2013, 11:17 PM
With just an orange band on it it is not a race bird, it does look like a homing pigeon, they need to have an AU or an IF band on them to race. I would bet some one within 100 miles of you has a wedding release buisness, white homing pigeons are what the use for that. Most people with a buisness like that take good care of the birds, it's how they make money. I would look in the phone book and see if their is such a buisness close by, or it could just be some ones pet that got lost, this bird was not raced. Just my 2 cents.
Dave
Posted 20th April 2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks everyone, lots of great info. Anyone know how to tell a male from a female?

I was going to find that out online somehow.

It is a gorgeous bird, I am going to take good care of it.

The poop looks like normal bird poop to me, white liquid with dark solids mixed in. Is that normal?

I put a big bowl of water in front of it, it has only drank once so far.

And I put a big bowl of raw sunflower seeds and flaxseeds in front of it, it is not moving or eating at all, it's like a statue.

I forced open its beak and got it to swallow some seeds and strawberry.

Will it start eating on it's own? And why isn't it flying?
Posted 21st April 2013, 06:41 AM
Thank you for rescuing this bird. He/she is lovely.

Poop should be solid with white dolip on top. If it is watery, it may be starving.

If he is not flying it may hunger/starvation, wings clipped or other health issue.

Make sure bird is warm, out of drafts and feed wild bird seed for now. Water should also be readily available.
Sunflower and flax are fine, but too much fat if that is all the bird is getting, it should only be 2 % of a pigeon mix, that would be ideal. FEED ONLY small black sunflower seed or sunflower seeds that have shells removed.

If the bird is not eating enough, it will fail to thrive. Hand feed for now until the bird gets stronger.

Here is an example of ingredients in a pigeon seed, this is what they thrive on and NEED to get the varying amount of nutrition that is required in their diet. http://www.purgrain.com/ingredients.htm

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.

Last edited by Skyeking; 21st April 2013 at 06:44 AM.
Posted 21st April 2013, 12:10 PM
Thank you, I have also been feeding it massaged kale and strawberry. It is drinking on its own at least but I haven't seen it eat.

I noticed it kind of holds the wing out a little, not tucked in flush with the body, could that be a sign of injury?
Posted 21st April 2013, 12:17 PM
Yes it is in a warm room, I made it a little hut out of leafy tree branches so he could feel safe and hidden like he was in the woods, I know the poor thing is scared.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.5 KB, 62 views)
Posted 21st April 2013, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovie Dovie View Post
Thank you, I have also been feeding it massaged kale and strawberry. It is drinking on its own at least but I haven't seen it eat.

I noticed it kind of holds the wing out a little, not tucked in flush with the body, could that be a sign of injury?
You need to hand feed it or it will not thrive or sucumb to starvation. Get some frozen peas, thaw them drain them, warm them and open beak gently and insert one at a time. Allow bird to close beak and repeat. Should eat about a tablespoon each meal. You can do this until you get real pigeon seed.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 21st April 2013, 12:37 PM
I hand fed it very easily last night, it was very docile and did not shake it's head at all, but today it is giving me a very hard time. Won't stay still, and shaking its head a lot, I am afraid to be too forceful and hurt it. But, it must eat so I guess I need to hold it tighter and be more aggressive.

I will go to the pet store today for bird feed.
Posted 21st April 2013, 12:37 PM
Yes, very important to feed her.

Please make an inspection at the wing and under the wing, if any swollen joints or punctures, wounds.
If she struggles, wrap her in a towel, on your lap, only the head sticking out.

Feed her until crop is full and again until it empties. For her size 30- 50 peas are OK, you can pop in her beak also some regular seeds. Hopefully she will eat on her on soon.

Last edited by Dima; 21st April 2013 at 12:40 PM.
Posted 21st April 2013, 12:58 PM
Also if the bird is shaking its head, you have to make sure the crop is emptying well.

Put a drop of apple cider vinegar (organic) in the water to help get proper PH for digestion.

I would advise even getting canker meds, just in case.

Last edited by Skyeking; 21st April 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Posted 21st April 2013, 02:26 PM
Yaye, it finally calmed down, let me hold it in my arms and feed it.
So at least I know it has a full belly of good nutrients now, I fed it raw carrot, raw kale, and raw seeds.
It seems to be swallowing well.

Thank you for all the help!

I dipped the kale and carrots pieces in water to get them good and wet, to give it some hydration as well.
It took one gulp of water this morning, but that was it.

How many times a day does it need to eat?

Tags
does not fly, orange band, white dove, white pigeon