Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 13th October 2013, 10:24 AM

Found Pigeon

Hello not sure how this site works but was hoping someone could help me. I have a Donek (nish white tail pigeon) that i found outside my front door 3 days ago. I am in Annapolis MD USA and we had torrential rain for about 3 days which stopped today. The pigeon was soaking wet and all its feathers were puffed out but it is not injured. We were able to put it in our screened porch and it seemed like it was used to humans, it was walking and following behind me. I gave it water and rice and dried peas. It does not have a leg band. Today we tried to release it and it flew to the outside of the screen and then my husband tried to kindly shoo it and it flew into a large tree in our front yard. However it seemed like it wanted to fly back down into the porch so we left the door open and sure enough it flew down and walked back in. At this point i am not sure if it is a coop pigeon or a racing bird and not sure what we should do with it. The bird seems content, is eating and flies up and down to the fans we have in the ceiling. I had conctacted a local bird rescue yesterday and they said if it is not injured it will fly away so thats what we tried today but it didn't want to go..... Any ideas? He's kinda of cute but making a mess in my patio!

Posted 13th October 2013, 10:41 AM
Thank you for your care and concern.

The bird is obviously lost and/or is some ones pet. PLEASE keep it contained and in a warm area away from drafts of air.

It may be sick or needs time to recooperate, but releasing it now is not a good idea. It probably has a home and has been fed all its life and cannot forage on its own. Can you get some wild bird seed? Dried uncooked peas and rice isn't proper food to get it on the road to recovery. Also it maybe starving and need hand feeding.

Can you please post a picture of the bird?

thank you

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 13th October 2013, 10:50 AM
The bird does not appear injured at all and we have seen him fly. I had tried to find a store near me that sells dove/pigeon food both petsmart and petco have it online but i called them and they do not have it in their local stores. Can i give him any type of wild bird seed? I have a number of photos i will upload them.
Posted 13th October 2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleigh View Post
The bird does not appear injured at all and we have seen him fly. I had tried to find a store near me that sells dove/pigeon food both petsmart and petco have it online but i called them and they do not have it in their local stores. Can i give him any type of wild bird seed? I have a number of photos i will upload them.
Injury may not be the issue, but it can be starved which will keep it from flying far or it may be sick. Wild bird seed is fine, but a pigeon mix is better. We appreciate all you do for this bird. Thank you.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 13th October 2013, 11:15 AM

Pigeon Day 1 and Day 4

Pigeon the first day and today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131010_161453.jpg (87.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20131013_125651.jpg (91.1 KB, 52 views)
Posted 13th October 2013, 11:53 AM
That is definitely a domestic pigeon, looks like a bald cap roller to me. It is not a homing pigeon and would not even return home if released.

Does it have any band with ID numbers and letters around its leg? This breed Is very friendly and social bird, makes wonderful pet. Perhaps we can help you find it a home.

Please contain in cat carrier and get it inside where it is warm, and put newspaper under it or paper towels.

Posted 13th October 2013, 02:21 PM

Update

We went to the store and got bird seed and he has been eating for about 10 mins so far and is now drinking water. We have a very large metal dog crate and we have put inside a utility basket with shredded paper and also seed and water. The crate is raised on top of a table on the patio, we need to catch the pigeon and put him in the cage. Although he does not seem too scared we have not been able to actually catch him. We live in a historic home on the US Naval Academy and he is in a very large screened patio approx 1,000 sq ft which has a ledge right at the top where he keeps going ... We will keep trying to get him and put him in the crate. We have put a large blanket over the crate so there will be no drafts.

Thank you so much for your help
Posted 14th October 2013, 09:38 AM
You can try and catch him at night, they do not have that great a vision at night and are quite vulnerable.

You can also try a trap method. Like using an empty upside down laundry basket with stick propped to keep it up on one side with string attached so you can pull the string out from under it when bird is underneath. let the bird get good and hungry before trying this method and place seeds directly under basket where it will catch him.

Posted 15th October 2013, 06:31 AM

Got him :)

We got the pigeon and he seems happy in the crate. Next step i will try and find someone locally who might want him. I have 2 dogs and 3 cats so not perfect place for him to be but i will make sure he goes to a good home.
Posted 15th October 2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleigh View Post
*We got the pigeon and he seems happy in the crate. ** Next step i will try and find someone locally who might want him. I have 2 dogs and 3 cats so not perfect place for him to be but i will make sure he goes to a good home.
* He is used to being cared for and have a roof over his head.

** You can also post in our adoption forum to find a home, if you can't find a home locally.

Tags
donek, found, pigeon