Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 17th December 2006, 02:28 PM

help! Mother dove abandoned nest with 2 eggs.

Hi!
We have a mother dove nesting outside our house just above the pillar between the walls in our open shed.We noticed her abt 2 weeks ago. She was always sitting on her eggs and her partner is always not there. She wasn't sitting in her nest this morning and I was curious.maybe the eggs hatched? But i didnt hear anything, so i got on a ladder and checked with a mirror.It turns out that there are 2 eggs there. Mother bird no where to be found.....should i just wait and see or is there anything i can do?
The thing is that i dun know when she left the nest. It is monday morning now, the last time i saw her in her nest was fri evening.
Any advice?

Regards, Priscilla

Posted 17th December 2006, 02:59 PM
Not a whole lot you can do. Eggs no good if they don't get parents on them soon.

If the doves dont come back you can throw the eggs.
Posted 17th December 2006, 03:13 PM

More Info on the eggs and me

It's gonna be such a pity if the mother bird doesn't come back. But what i think i will do is, if she doesn't come back by tonight, I'll bring the eggs in and try to see if I can get them to hatch with proper incubation. About a year and a half ago, my son found a baby pigeon Lucky who was probably about a week old. i nursed it till it was full grown and one day it flew off and never came back. We pined for it and kept looking. In the end, We got ourselves now 3 parrots as pets in the house. :-) I know how difficult and time consuming it is raising a new baby squab. God i think it's worse than having a new born baby!!!! I remember feeding and trying hard not to doze off to sleep sometimes. And this forum with all you wonderful people helped us so much. Well, I guess i'd better get prepared with an incubator. Hmmmm And I guess i'm going to need a lot of help again from you guys unless the mother bird comes back or if the eggs didn't surivive. I hope it does.

Will keep u guys posted. Thank you !
Posted 17th December 2006, 06:13 PM
Thank you for your concern about the eggs.
There are several possibilities here. One is the eggs might not be fertile, you can check that by holding a flashlight behind the egg in a darkened room.
Another possibility is, something happened to the male and the mom got tired sitting non stop on the eggs.
Do you know about when the eggs were laid? Again, candling the eggs (flashlight method) will give you an idea.
If the the eggs show eggyolk in them, then either they are not fertile or they were laid in the past 24 hours.
What temperatures do you have where you live. Eggs not being incubated can get cold pretty quickly and the embryo dies. So, being cold since Friday makes it unlike the embryos are viable, if there are embryos in the eggs.
And since the mom is gone since Friday I think it is ok to take the eggs in and check them out.
Let us know.

Sorry to hear your baby pigeon never came back. Let's hope s/he found a mate and has a wonderful life.

Reti
Posted 17th December 2006, 07:47 PM

It is almost 3pm Mon afternoon. Mama bird still not back.

Hi!
Reti, thanks for your reply. We saw the mama bird nesting in her nest, that's when we discovered her abt maybe 2 weeks ago. She sits alone in her nest, her mate doesn't come back at all. And i used to wonder if she is ok doing by her self without food. We checked on her almost daily during the weekdays, we saw her last on fri evening. But on sat and sun, we were out, so we didn't know when exactly she left the nest. She prolly got fed up after sitting by herself for so long.

We are in Melbourne, Australia, where the weather varies horribly. But on sat and sun past, the day temperature is abt 20 degrees plus something. But today the temp is 35 degrees already. The night temperatures are lower, maybe abt 15 degrees or so.

There's sort of like a grey shade of sort of thing on one of the eggs. Not sure if they are fertilized or not, We 'll prolly check later in the evening. What a pity if they don't survive.But i'll do the best i can.

Just went to the shop and got a heating pad ready just in case i need to have a make shift incubator. Will see how i go with the eggs....thanks !!!
Posted 18th December 2006, 03:21 AM
I don't think the temperatures are high enough for the eggs to survive all those days without mama dove sitting on them.
Also, since you mentioned that they may have been laid almost two weeks go, they should be very close to hatching, so you should be able to see an embryo and it should be moving if alive.
Anyways do the candling and let us know what you see.

Reti
Posted 18th December 2006, 05:23 AM

One egg is fertilized. Not sure alive or not though

Hi
I've just candled the eggs, one of them is fertilized. i can see the black elongated spot and some stuff....the other one is just plain clear. With nothing inside. Not sure whether it is alive though, so i've just put it in a card box with water and a lamp inside. Will do more research on candling to check if it is still alive... will keep u guys updated. Thanks !
Posted 18th December 2006, 06:32 AM
Hi there, would that be Celcius or Farenheit in terms of degrees mentioned?

fp
Posted 18th December 2006, 06:49 AM
Gotta' be Celsius. I went to weather.com and plugged in Melbourne, Australia and ran the 10-day. Expected low for the period of 52 deg F (11 C) and a high of 81 deg F (27 C).

Pidgey
Posted 18th December 2006, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
Gotta' be Celsius. I went to weather.com and plugged in Melbourne, Australia and ran the 10-day. Expected low for the period of 52 deg F (11 C) and a high of 81 deg F (27 C).

Pidgey
Well, that's a whole lot betta...

fp
Posted 18th December 2006, 01:44 PM

Question?Alive or not?

Hi, I've been trying to figure out if the egg is alive or not. I'm afraid that the embryo in the egg has already died. Nothing seems to be moving, except for like the watery kind of thing on side of the egg. How do you really tell? If the eggs were laid like almost 2 weeks ago, what should i be able to see in the egg while candling. Any info will be very much appreciated. In the mean time, i will keep reading abt candling stages of the egg. Thanks !
Posted 18th December 2006, 02:42 PM
I know there were some pics somewhere to show you the embryo development, so I will go and look for them now.
But, after two weeks of incubation the embryo should be almost as big as the egg.
Let me go and try to find the pics.

Reti
Posted 18th December 2006, 03:01 PM
Location: Antwerp Belgium, formerly Cologne, Germany, formerly San Antonio, Texas (birthplace)

Candling eggs

Some references:

with pictures, reference linked from Wikipedia:

http://www.homestead.com/shilala/candling.html

and another link from Wikipedia:

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/eggs/res26-candling.html

and from UCal weblink in Google, also with pictures:

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8134.pdf

Larry

Last edited by Larry_Cologne; 18th December 2006 at 03:06 PM.
Posted 18th December 2006, 03:52 PM
Well, pigeons usually take up to 19 days in cold weather and as little as 14 days in very warm weather. I don't know but I expect it's about the same for doves. The embryo on the inside isn't going to be moving around such that you can see it, especially by the candling method. By the last few of growth, you can't see much of anything but darkness when candling.

Pidgey
Posted 18th December 2006, 03:56 PM
Thank you, Larry.

Reti

Tags
baby food, baby pigeon, heating pad