Pigeon-Talk banner
16K views 168 replies 17 participants last post by  maryjane 
#1 ·
Ok.
We have a serius problem..
Me wife and me demolished our house and in the proces of tearing it down we found on the roof a broken nest with a baby pidgeon and an unhached egg

Basicly we kept them warm. started to feed him with corn gruel and water mashed together (very soup-like)
this is the 3 day that we have him.

his beak and legs are blackish. rest of him was pink.

Now do to ignorance we fed him even when his baloonlikething was half ful.

Eyes are closed and 0 controll of his head movement. he can squirm around but without controll

(food was right temp and he is under a small voltage lamp which is shining into a black cloth so he isnt in direct light. )

Basicly all was going well till a few moments ago.

Today he chiruped at me and i feed him 1ml of corn gruel and afterwards .5ml of water. all room temp.
We feed him aprox 5 times poer day.

Now after 2 hours i went to check on him and he is breading rapidly. his baloonlike thing is 1/3 of his body not counting the head. He is shaking and floping around.

Based on the information i gathered he is from 4-7 days old.

Right now he is turning kinda red. and im afraid for him. what is happening can anyone tell me .. ask and will suply more info but i dont have the right questions so that i can give you more detailed answers.

Please. ,

See less See more
#2 ·
If the crop isn't emptying please don't feed anymore. The crop must be empty before another feeding.

Put the baby bird on heating pad-set on low, with towel between the pad and baby. Make sure there is no cold air drafts on the baby.

You need to get a baby bird formula from the pet store, like Kaytee's Exact or Harrisons.

Also, where are you located?.... we might have someone near to help.

#4 ·
He could be too hot.
You have definitely over-fed him.
With baby pigeons, you only feed them once their crop is empty. With the baby you have, the balloon thing you are talking about, is the crop and it sounds like he is too full. .
Can you post a picture?

#5 ·
picture in a few moments.

Located in Europe- Croatia- Bregana (small place near Zagreb((capitol))

heat pad- towel. i dont have heat pad.

i used the rice in the sock combo.
Checked the day racig bird comparison and he looks 3 days old.

but he is ith us already 3 days.

ok. he calmed doen and is going piu piu.-

pic is beeing uploaded.

#6 ·
I can tell you really care about him.

#8 · (Edited)
Please..
Is there a doctor in the house..

Anyone..

Anything ?

What to do. what to check ?

How to keep him warm. im not sure if its warm enough. its midnight here and its geting colder in the house. heating is off room temp is about 20 celsius. can i keep him under open light during the night ?
Is he alowed to be in the light or should he be in the dark.

If in the dark how to keep him warm. the rice sock gets cold quickly. and a heating pad i dont have.
What temp should he be 40 celsuis ??

come on . please. im concerned.

#9 ·
OK...In the first picture, I can tell the crop is very full. Don't feed anymore until the crop empties. As he grows, you will need to feed him more, probably a little bit more each day. I think that 5 ml of water, after the 1 ml of corn gruel, is way too much. At this point, if the gruel is runny, I don't think you need to give him water at all. Remember, feed him when the crop [balloon] is empty. Do you have access to cereal for human babies?

In the second picture, his head looks really red to me...almost like a sun burn. I'm, wondering if the heat lamp is too close? How close is it?

#10 ·
that was 1ml of gruel. and 0.5 ml of water :p
runny is ???
yes i can get the cereal for babys but not until morning

the lamp is aprox 20cm from him. its a 40W table lamp.
But it is heating into a black t shirt which is over him. so he is not in the direct light.

The redness is probbly from the 2fast breathing i panicked a fewm minutes ago.

he is back to his pinkys self.. almost.

#14 ·
Runny means thin. When they are little babies we feed them thin formula.
Yes, I think the heat lamp is too close. The baby should be warm but not too hot. Put your hand on top of the baby and if the lamp feel hot to your hand, then it is too hot for the baby. It also would be a good idea to put a cloth over the baby, or a feather duster if you have one. What you want to do is mimic the parent birds behavior as best you can.

#15 ·
I think pull it back just a little bit. And you've got him covered, so he should be ok. He actually looks pretty good to me. I think you're doing a great job so far. If you pull the lamp back and he begins to feel cold or chilled to you, then move it back I guess. You could also try to rice and sock again but I know that doesn't last a long time.

#16 ·
ok yes the corn is runny.

the lamp is hot if its direct light but as i said it goes first into a black t shirt. so underneath it it doesnt feel that warm. certanly not hot.

ok. please tell me how would you solve the heating in this case..

the lamp is the only heat source you can use. now please give me the answer how to use it.
height - dir3ction- lining of the bed- evrything please.

#18 ·
Leave your hand on top of the baby for about 5 minutes, with the heat lamp over your hand and if it does not feel hot, then it's alright.

Reactions: TerriB
#20 ·
OK.:) I'll be waiting to hear back from you!

#22 ·
Birds have a higher temperature than humans. If you can keep the external temperature at 36, that should be adequate. If you can find a feathered thing to put on top him, that would be best.

#25 ·
Well, they do flop around a bit at that age and they don't seem to control their head motions very well. That is, it doesn't necessarily sound to me like your little fellow is doing anything out of the ordinary. He may be, but what you describe is about what I'd expect from someone who hadn't been around pigeon chicks before.

Pidgey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.