Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 8th March 2005, 06:09 PM

Pigeon with a broken wing

This afternoon my girlfriend and I went out to do laundry. As we were walking through the driveway I noticed a pigeon on the icy ground. As we approached the pigeon tryed to retreat but it's left foot(?) was stuck in about 3-4 cm in the ice. I rushed to grab some warm water, it melted the ice, and the pigeon was freed. The foot looked really white for a bit though. It's been a few hours and my little friend "Birgandy" is recovering. We fed him some water using a suringe and he ate some bread. He slept for a few hours and his feet look fine now.
We let him wobble around to see if he can fly but it seems like its left wing is broken or very hurt.
I have no idea how long the pegion was there. Yesterday temperatures here in Toronto were very warm and all the ice was melted. A cold front moved in during the night and the temperatures dropped 15 degrees Celsius within three hours, making it -19. I am guessing that explains how the pigeons foot got stuck in the ice.

I need your help people, what should I do about the broken wing? Any input would be really appriciated by the pigeon.

Last edited by MadCow; 8th March 2005 at 06:14 PM.
Posted 8th March 2005, 06:17 PM
hi it is a good thing that u helped this poor little pigeon if you wouldent have helped him he would have probably died. About the broken wing are you sure it is broken?? leave him for a while and see if the wing gets better if it doesnt than you either need to help him or you can find a vet, and bring him to them. GOOD LUCK!!!

JONATHAN
Posted 8th March 2005, 06:23 PM
I am going to try and nurse him back to health and watch his wing. If it does not get better I will make a splint of some sort for it. Originally we were going to take the pigeon to the "Humane Society" but I am pretty sure they will put him down..people tend to look down on pigeons. Can't afford to take him to a vet.
Posted 8th March 2005, 06:31 PM
well it is good that you are taking care of him i am sure he will do fine in your care and yes a splint is a good idea if he does have a broken wing. how is he doing is he eating good or not to much?? can he walk ok?? Oh ya and welcome to pigeons.com if you need to ask anymore questions be sure to ask me or someone else.

Jonathan
Posted 8th March 2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I've had him for about 4 hours now or so, he slpet for a good 2 hours. When we let him walk around he looked pretty healthy and aware. Does not look like frost bite left any permenant demage. He ate a few pecks of the bread and he had about 5ml of water. Hoping for a fast recovery.
Posted 8th March 2005, 06:38 PM
Hi Madcow,

Welcome and thank you so much for trying to provide help to this needy pigeon. I am going to provide you with two threads to get you started. The first one was provided by one of our moderators AZWhitefeather (Cindy) and gives you basic steps to saving a birds life.....just click on it:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8822

The second link will provide you with step by step instructions for setting a broken wing....just click on it:

http://www.duckpolice.org/BirdWeb/Pi...rokenwing.html

I am sure others will be along to advise you, but in the meantime, these two links should provide you with some helpful information...Thank you again for caring.

Linda

Last edited by Lin Hansen; 8th March 2005 at 06:42 PM.
Posted 8th March 2005, 06:46 PM
threre it is i was trying to look on the internet for how to fix a broken wing but it seems like you have it now.
Posted 8th March 2005, 09:28 PM
Talking

I am very glad that this website exists. If I haven't found this message board this experience would be harder on me...thanks a lot for your input.

From all I have learned I am pretty sure that the pigeon is hydrated and does not have any other injuries except for his wing. His breathing is fine and he is very alert. He is passed out at the moment, he had a rough day. Thank you guys, from me and the pigeon.

Last edited by MadCow; 8th March 2005 at 09:31 PM.
Posted 11th March 2005, 04:17 PM
now how is the pigeon doing is the wing better
Posted 20th March 2005, 09:49 PM

Same story across the world!

Hello my name is Amanda and im from Sydney Australia. I can't believe we don't have a website like this (that i can find!) in Australia to help me care for a sweet little pigeon i found yesterday being attacked by a crow. He was dragging his right wing across the road and a crow was standing ON TOP of him! ...when i ran over the crow flew away, then he rolled into a puddle in the gutter. I scooped him out of the gutter so he didnt drown - and put him in my car. His right wing is broken (i think) - but its not drooped to one side? - yet he just can't move it - in fact its almost like he can't move either of them...neither of them flap around - they only expand once he falls over - but if he can expand them out once he falls over then they arent broken surely? I rang some wildlife rescuers and they don't really want to know about it- and the vet just wants to put him down - I was about to take him up to the vet to be put down (their advice was that even if i 'fix' his wing - he will never fly the same and he will be picked on & killed anyway..so its best to put him down..) - but then he suddenly went crazy in the box like he was trying to beg me not too.. i just cant give up on him like that... Now he's my 'pet' ) but i dont know what to do? He is wobbly on his right side when he walks and he keeps spinning his little head around. As far as i can tell he's not in pain - but how do i know? He won't eat or drink and its been 24 hours since the incident happened. I'm going to race out now and get a syringe to get him to drink like it says to do - in the meantime could someone help me by posting a message about what could be wrong if he cant move BOTH his wings? If one is broken - then do they normally flap the other one out? I didn't want to touch him too much after his shock in case he died of further shock being handled by a human! should i keep him warm in a box inside?? He looks like an adult bird.. I can't believe nobody in the animal welfare community wants to care about him because "it's just a pigeon"
INHUMANE!
Amanda
Posted 20th March 2005, 11:44 PM
Hi Amanda,

And thank you for rescuing this poor pigeon. Please put him somewhere warm, somewhat dark and quiet. I'm glad you've gone to get the syringe to supply water to him because it sounds like he might not be able to drink himself. When you're giving him water with the syringe, make sure it goes back far enough into his mouth, past his tongue. Can you feel his breastbone and see if it's sharp? He may be starving as well but please don't feed him quite yet. Water is first priority. It's hard to say what could be wrong with the bird. He has symptoms of a virus but it could be other things as well. Are you familiar with pigeons at all and can you give us an idea of whether he's a younger bird or full grown? A picture would be great as well for us to see if you can post one. The important things right now are what I said in the beginning, keep him warm, calm, and quiet. Offer him water carefully and slowly. If there are any other symptoms, or things you forgot to mention, let us know. Hopefully we will get more advice soon from other members. It's late over here however in the Western hemisphere but there are a few night owls that come on throughout the night.
Posted 21st March 2005, 02:18 PM
Hello,

Thank you for fighting for this pigeon!

You said that the pigeon was spinning his head round. Was he sort of turning it over so his body was upright but he was looking at the sky?

If so. this is referred to as stargazing and in Europe and America would be a symptom of both Paramyxovirus (PMV) and paratyphoid.

I don't think that PMV has reached Australia, which could mean it most probably has paratyphoid which is a bacterial infection that can be treated treated with Baytril.

Wing and leg paralysis and loss of balance can also be symptoms of paratyphoid . Another symptom can be swellings on the joints. You might also see listlessness, loss of weight and difficulty breathing.

The symptoms of pigeon PMV are very similar to paratyphoid but because there is no effective treatment, just nursing care. Many people treat pigeons with PMV with Baytril just in case there is an opportunistic secondary infection.

Cynthia
Posted 21st March 2005, 07:19 PM
Hi Cynthia,

What do you of as a good source for purchasing "Baytril"?

I found some today, and it was something like $50.00 for a small quantity.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Phil
Posted 21st March 2005, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpbison
I found some today, and it was something like $50.00 for a small quantity.Phil
Feed/tack stores, on-line pigeon supply houses, or get a prescription and buy in Mexico. Strangely, you can't buy Baytril in Mexico without a prescription, but you can buy Cipro without one (Cipro is the human equivalent of Baytril). Also check Canadian pharmacies. Our rescue groups here in So. Cal. pool our funds and have Spanish speaking folks go to Mexico to buy a lot of our bird/animal meds .. HUGE savings! Buying on-line is also usually a good or at least better deal than your vet.

Terry
Posted 22nd March 2005, 11:38 PM
Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply.. after reading through the posts and monitoring him i truly think he has paratyphoid - yes Cynthis he spins his head around like he has some kind of awful nervous twitch and looks upwards. It would also explain why his wings seem ok sometimes and not other times. I have extended his wings and they dont seem broken. Yes his chestbone is sticking out Brad..and i gave him water as you said, and also a warm dark spot - but he is still not eating.. As i was giving him water i looked down at my top and all these horrid little things (feather lice!) were on me. Poor little thing... It Doesn't sound too good for him. Im going to try and find some Baytil now... please anymore suggestions let me know.
Thank you for your help
Amanda

Tags
avian vet, bacterial infection, beak open, broken leg, broken wing, heating pad, humane society, pet shop, pigeon supply, pigeon supply houses, rehydrating solution, wildlife rescue

You may also search for: