Posted 6th October 2007, 07:02 AM

Racing pigeons pick Pittsburgh woman's yard for rest

http://tinyurl.com/2vsovd

Racing pigeons pick Pittsburgh woman's yard for rest
By Chris Togneri
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 4, 2007

It's as if they're homing in on her.

For the third time in a year, an exhausted racing pigeon fell to earth in Cheryl Mosco's Lawrenceville front yard well short of the finish line.

Good choice, because Mosco is a pigeon fancier of the highest degree.

Not only does she regularly bring injured pigeons to the Wildlife Center in Verona, but she has a MySpace.com site dedicated to pigeons, spends her lunch breaks Downtown tossing crumbs to the flocks in Mellon Square, and she keeps four pet pigeons.

"They're really very gentle birds," Mosco said Wednesday on her front porch while holding Caesar, the latest homing pigeon to drop in. "And they're attracted to humans."

OK -- but why are they so keenly attracted to her?

"That's a really good question," Mosco said. "I don't know."

She named the bird that arrived Monday night Caesar. He apparently was released during a weekend 9/11 memorial pigeon race, but failed to make it home.

Jim Petruzzi, Mosco's husband, was talking to a neighbor when the bird landed with a thud in the front yard next to the couple's bird bath.

"He stumbled a few times," Petruzzi said.

Thinking the pigeon was hurt, Petruzzi grabbed a birdcage from the house and picked up Caesar -- who was eating from a bird feeder set among a set of ceramic ducks in the front yard -- put him in the cage and fed him.

"He was really calm," Petruzzi said. "He didn't struggle at all."

Of course not. Racing pigeons seem to adore Mosco's place.

Last year, a racing pigeon from St. Louis plopped down in her front yard, Mosco said. She took the bird in, read the band attached to its leg and contacted the owner. But the owner didn't call back, so Mosco kept the pigeon.

Last month, a pigeon from Ohio dropped in. This time, when contacted by Mosco, the owner retrieved his bird.

On Monday, Mosco read the letters WTCM on the band, meaning the pigeon participated in the World Trade Center Memorial race from Virginia to New York. She called the Bronx Pigeon Club and talked to a man named Joe.

"He said to let him rest, feed him, and then release him in three days," Mosco said. "He said he'll find his way home."

Karen Clifton, executive director of the American Racing Pigeon Union in Oklahoma City, agreed, saying that few homing pigeons ever get lost.

"It's more than likely that it got chased off-track by a predator," Clifton said. "Or it could have just stopped to rest, like the others."

Mosco said she will try to find the owner and arrange a way to ship the bird home, she said. She is uncomfortable with releasing Caesar -- who appears fully recovered -- because there are many hawks in Pittsburgh.

If the owner no longer wants Caesar, Mosco said, she might adopt him. Her other pigeons are named Red, Fred, Myrtle and Molly.

"Pigeons just seem to take to her," said Jill Argall, the Verona Wildlife Center director. "I don't know why certain people attract pigeons, but she certainly does. She's the Pigeon Lady."

Chris Togneri can be reached at ctogneri@tribweb.com or 412-380-5632.

Posted 6th October 2007, 03:50 PM
Pigeonperson,

This story was quite heartwarming. It is really interesting how they seem to know. It appears as if is an off-branch of their homing senses, isn't it?

TOOTERVILLE
pigeonperson
Posted 6th October 2007, 05:20 PM
Hi Victor,
This lady is certainly special but there may be a reason why the birds are landing on her property. She may live along a route that racing pigeons often use in going home. That's the only thing I can think of why it happens more often for her.

Last edited by pigeonperson; 6th October 2007 at 05:22 PM..

Posted 6th October 2007, 06:02 PM
Maybe pigeons are psychic. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Great story, pigeonperson.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 6th October 2007, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
Maybe pigeons are psychic. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Great story, pigeonperson.
Wouldn't surprise me either, Charis. Actually, humans have psychic ability too...but our society is not very encouraging for ESP phenomenon...

Hopefully, some day...providing, we, as a species, survive!

Shi
& Squeaks (who says psychic ability is no big deal. Why all the fuss? I get my mate to do what I want all the time!)
Posted 6th October 2007, 08:37 PM
Yes, they could be psychic, psychotic or even, psychokinetic....but I bet
she does live along a frequently used route/road used in trainings/tossings. They do
use existing roadways as 'trail marks' when flying.

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla
Posted 6th October 2007, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feralpigeon View Post
Yes, they could be psychic, psychotic or even, psychokinetic....but I bet
she does live along a frequently used route/road used in trainings/tossings. They do
use existing roadways as 'trail marks' when flying.

fp
awww, gee, fp...no fair taking away the "fun"...

(of course, you are correct, but "other abilities" are so much more interesting...)
Posted 6th October 2007, 09:01 PM
(of course, you are correct, but "other abilities" are so much more interesting...) [/QUOTE]

I guess I was practicing for the Holiday Humbugs.... Yes, of course, Psychic
Pijies on Flying Carpets is much more fun

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla
Posted 6th October 2007, 09:08 PM
Talking

Quote:
(of course, you are correct, but "other abilities" are so much more interesting...)
I guess I was practicing for the Holiday Humbugs.... Yes, of course, Psychic
Pijies on Flying Carpets is much more fun

fp[/QUOTE]

...and, let us not forget "SEED HOLES" that the SPPs (Super Power Pigeons) use!

Flying carpets, eh? I LIKE THAT VISION! Make a cute movie...a Flying Pigeon Genie!

Shi
Posted 6th October 2007, 09:10 PM
Mmm... they could use them like air surf boards, whatya think?

fp
Posted 6th October 2007, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Mmm... they could use them like air surf boards, whatya think?

fp
Oh, but of course...how fun! Mmmm, bet those "air surfs" could be used in an SPP adventure. Actually, they would be perfect for Squeaks since he can't fly like a normal pij...he does make great use of the seed holes, of course...instant transporting being the quickest way to get from point A to point B!

But, we humans, who aid the SPPers would have a blast on "air surfs"...at least I would....wheeeeee!!!

Shi (a.k.a. Scorpio Power)
Posted 6th October 2007, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr squeaks View Post
Oh, but of course...how fun! Mmmm, bet those "air surfs" could be used in an SPP adventure. Actually, they would be perfect for Squeaks since he can't fly like a normal pij...he does make great use of the seed holes, of course...instant transporting being the quickest way to get from point A to point B!

But, we humans, who aid the SPPers would have a blast on "air surfs"...at least I would....wheeeeee!!!

Shi (a.k.a. Scorpio Power)
Well, if we are extra good, maybe we'll get to hitchhike a bit now and
then

fp
Posted 6th October 2007, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Well, if we are extra good, maybe we'll get to hitchhike a bit now and
then

fp
Oh, for sure, for sure...activists, participants and observers always welcome...

You and DD and Kyle, if he's interested and sufficiently recovered...

Been awhile since the SPPers checked in. Of course, we would have to keep an eye out for Pete's DorianVonNastypuss, who is definitely alive and kicking! My Twiggy has been mellowing him out some, but he hasn't forgotten the SPPers!

Shi
Posted 6th October 2007, 10:38 PM
He's workin' on it Shi, workin' on it...

fp

Tags
homing pigeons, injured pigeon, injured pigeons, pet pigeon, pigeon club, pigeon union, racing pigeon, racing pigeon union, wildlife center

You may also search for: