Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 21st March 2006, 08:06 PM
Lightbulb

Catching a wild pigeon....

Is it ok to catch a wild pigeon make sure it has no sickness or deases and make it part of your flock?

and or breed it with another pigeon becase you like its color then relase it?

or catch it and sell it to another owner with this in mind that it has no band?

im just wondering thank you if you can answer any questions and its not illegal to catch a wild pigeon in cali

Posted 21st March 2006, 08:32 PM
Hi Michael,

What you are asking about, catching a wild pigeon for the purpose of making it a captive bird to breed, sell or integrate into your own loft, this is just wrong.

A wild pigeon shouldn't be taken from the wild for that reason alone, it's just not the right thing to do and for several reasons. It could be sick and give something to your birds, it could have a mate with babies somewhere and then you'd be risking the lives of it's family (either eggs or babies), and it's morally wrong to take a healthy pigeon from the wild like that.

If you are looking for more pigeons, with different colours, there are plenty of breeders and fanciers around. Please don't attempt to capture a wild pigeon for this reason.
Posted 21st March 2006, 08:48 PM
Smile

PIgeons

When removing a pigeon from the wild you would never know if you are breaking up a family. Leaving eggs or babies or a broken hearted mate. Eggs would most asurlly die. Babies might or might not make it.
Adoption would be better.
Posted 21st March 2006, 09:33 PM
The only reason a wild pigeon should be caught , if it is not able to fend for itself. If you are in the position to care for it or to seek medical attention for it, and the release it, should it only be caught. If you have to chase it as it flies off, then I would say it shouldn't be caught! As stated earlier, it may have a mate or family.

TOOTERVILLE
Posted 22nd March 2006, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stach_n_flash
Is it ok to catch a wild pigeon make sure it has no sickness or deases and make it part of your flock
NO! ... only for reasons already listed.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 22nd March 2006, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor
The only reason a wild pigeon should be caught , if it is not able to fend for itself. If you are in the position to care for it or to seek medical attention for it, and the release it, should it only be caught. If you have to chase it as it flies off, then I would say it shouldn't be caught! As stated earlier, it may have a mate or family.
I completly agree with victor the only time to catch a pigeon if it realy needs your help for shur never take a pigeon from the wild on purpose.
Posted 22nd March 2006, 07:48 AM
Although....the temptation arises very now and then especially when I see a remarkably colored wild one out there, but I have to tell myself,"NO VICTOR YOU CAN'T DO IT!!!"

TOOTERVILLE
Posted 22nd March 2006, 10:28 AM

how bout a banded pigeon

is it okay to catch it?, and find the original owner I seen one a white homer but it flew away got scared form another common rock pigeon so now I dont know where it is , but im sure he/she might still be around the area

Oliver
Posted 22nd March 2006, 10:50 AM
Hi Oliver,

Nothing wrong with trying to catch a banded pigeon and contact its owner.

It's grabbing a feral "off the street" to keep which is a no-no

John

"Pigeons know more than we think - and think more than we know" ~ John D.
Posted 22nd March 2006, 11:04 AM
Ya there was a good looken pigeon at the park last summer she had a crest on her tag with a band too but at the time i never thought to try to catch it and find its owner and a few weeks later from seeing i never seen her again.
But also at the time i thought maybe nature ppl owned her or somthen cause no how they band ducks thats what a thought about the pigeon lol but now i know the truth .

Altho i have seem some pigeons with badly hurt feet and limping do you think i should try to catch and help them or somthing?

Last edited by christina11; 22nd March 2006 at 11:07 AM.
Posted 22nd March 2006, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Is it ok to catch a wild pigeon make sure it has no sickness or deases and make it part of your flock?

and or breed it with another pigeon becase you like its color then relase it?

or catch it and sell it to another owner with this in mind that it has no band?

im just wondering thank you if you can answer any questions and its not illegal to catch a wild pigeon in cali
Hi there Stach_n_Flash,

I saw your web photos -you are an animal lover I can tell . I think that at your age (15, right) it is a really good thing that you are asking these questions. It is always better to be asking any question than to have none at all.

The list is correct, it would not be ethical to catch a feral that was healthy even if you released it. When I was a kid we use to catch bugs and snakes and even once brought home a porcupine -I feel badly about this now as I know they were probably really scared. Imagine how you would feel if you were kidnapped to another planet???? Even if you made it back OK, you might always worried that something would show up later, you might even be treated differenetly by your family and friends.

Congratulations on being a thinker and asking questions. It is an interesting divergence of realities that we can buy and sell some pigeons for breeding and not others, but I think that the list gave some good reasons why we should let free birds be free.

Best,
Posted 22nd March 2006, 06:22 PM
lol thank to anyone whoposted imsorry if it sounded like i wanted to catchthem but theiris a group of three peoplewho catch birds on the other side of town and ithought nothing of it till now and i was just wondering thank for psting again and i wouldnt want totake awild bird out of the streets because i already have 2 pigeons with 2 eggs ( she laid her second egg today ) woohoo but thankyou all
Posted 22nd March 2006, 06:24 PM
Wink

and i found out by another thread that my male pigeon i think its a male is just over 1 month
Posted 22nd March 2006, 07:34 PM
The group of "people across town" who are catching feral pigeons are most likely selling the birds to dog trainers or those who would use the birds as live target practice. Unfortunately most people don't give feral pigeons the respect they should deserve as being living creatures.
Posted 23rd March 2006, 11:04 AM
Quote:
lol thank to anyone whoposted imsorry if it sounded like i wanted to catchthem but theiris a group of three peoplewho catch birds on the other side of town and ithought nothing of it till now and i was just wondering thank for psting again and i wouldnt want totake awild bird out of the streets because i already have 2 pigeons with 2 eggs ( she laid her second egg today ) woohoo but thankyou all

YIKES! DO you know which agency in your area handles animal control -they are mostl likely also a law enforcement agency. I really receommend that you contact them.

Tags
animal control, feral pigeon, male pigeon, white homer, wild bird, wild pigeon