Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 13th July 2010, 11:14 AM
Red face

Seed and grain feed mix recipes anyone???

I have been trying to buy some proper pigeon food for Cooter now that he will peck for seeds - I have a bit of Budgie seed ( but that's not great as a diet for Budgies, never mind pigies) I have been to the feed stores and they will happily sell me a 20Kg bag of pellets -for one pigeon...sigh...I purchased a 3 lb bag of Hagen pigeon and dove food from the pet store, but again I worry about it's true nutritional value... I am more than willing to mix a proper seed, grain, and pellet mix if someone is willing to share their favourite recipe!

ps- if this is posted in the wrong place will a moderator move it for me...I didn't see a food and diet section, but then again it may have been right under my nose

Posted 13th July 2010, 11:25 AM
Just Maybe?????????
go to a feed store buy a handful of--milo-wheat-corn-pea's-and what ever else you see that you may want?????????????
They may even have pigeon feed that they sell buy the pound. Mix your own .

Last edited by sky tx; 13th July 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Posted 13th July 2010, 11:35 AM
They don't sell it by the pound, but I do know where I can get grains and seeds - what I'm looking for are- Which grains and seeds and in what proportions, do things like wheat and corn and oats have to be hulled or cracked or ...anything? For example I see that people give their pigies mung beans - I have parrots and unsprouted or uncooked beans of any kind is a serious no-no - they have toxins in their raw state that can make your parrots very sick or very dead....
Posted 13th July 2010, 11:46 AM
Ede-bird what town in B C? they may have a pigeon club---Homer or Fancy
Maybe check
http://www.crpu.ca

Last edited by sky tx; 13th July 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Posted 13th July 2010, 01:48 PM
I'll check it out - Thank you Any recipes folks???
Posted 13th July 2010, 02:30 PM
here are some of the grains and peas in a pigeon mix, I can not tell you the measurements of each one, but would go easy on the high fat ones, corn can be added in the winter months, or try just a bit of the pop corn. what does the hagen feed have in it?

http://www.purgrain.com/Ingredients-2010.html
Posted 13th July 2010, 03:39 PM
Hagen pigeon and dove food: protein 11%, oil&fat 4%, fibre7.5%, made of white millet, red milo, red millet, whole wheat, canary grass seed, feed oats, cracked corn, oat groats, green split peas, safflower seed, calcium carbonate, orange oil, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper sulphate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate(0.2mg/kg) Is this complete enough??? I'm beginning to suspect that asking for recipes is kind of like asking those 2 old ladies on The Waltons what went into their Papas "recipe" - in other words an unintenional faux pas because of competitive edge in racing or something. I apologise if this is the case
Posted 13th July 2010, 04:43 PM
I would NOT feed cracked corn---It may cause Canker. Other wise it sounds like a good mixture
BUT Hey-I have been wrong before
Posted 13th July 2010, 05:14 PM
To a dove mix, you could add more split peas, whole dried peas if you can find them, I found a super market that sells them, lentils, (regular and the small red), safflower, if there aren't many in it, pop corn, brown rice. You are right in that beans are a no no.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 13th July 2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks all! I seem to be reading alot of conflicting info regarding cracked corn and beans - so I'll avoid the beans and only use the cracked corn when it comes in a clean premix. I'll go and get some other grains to add for variety - there is a Community Supported Agriculture grain mill near here that can get all kinds of clean organic grain.
Posted 13th July 2010, 08:25 PM
If you feed cracked corn--BE SURE you have some Canker medicine on hand.
Posted 13th July 2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ede-bird View Post
Thanks all! I seem to be reading alot of conflicting info regarding cracked corn and beans - so I'll avoid the beans and only use the cracked corn when it comes in a clean premix. I'll go and get some other grains to add for variety - there is a Community Supported Agriculture grain mill near here that can get all kinds of clean organic grain.

Uncooked beans contain a poison called hemaglutin. Hemaglutin is very toxic to birds.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 6th August 2010, 12:39 AM
Does the rice have to be brown rice??? and also I have never added rice because I was wondering if it doesn't cause any problems??
Posted 6th August 2010, 11:31 PM
Some people use white rice, but brown rice would be more nutritious. And no, rice doesn't cause any problems.

Posted 7th August 2010, 01:58 AM
Ok, good because I just added brown rice and white rice yesterday. The pigeons and doves loved it. They all jumped in the three bowls I put and ate almost all the rice and lentils I put in I am going to go and buy popcorn soon and put it in there.

Tags
food, seed mix