Pigeon-Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meds if you're not in the US

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  John_D 
#1 ·
When I say "used in...", it means "used at least in...". I mention just the ones I know.[/I]

Antibiotics:
Here I included some very widely used meds for pigeons.

Baytril: Its drug is enrofloxacin, widely used in dogs. You can get it at any vet :).

Cypro: Its drug is cyprofloxacin, widely used in dogs, cats, and humans. You can get it at any vet and I'm not sure if it requires prescription for the human "version".

Keflex: Its drug is cephalexin, widely used in dogs and humans, too. You can also get it at any vet or pharmacy.

Amoxicillin: Sold under maaany maaany names. You can get it for humans, fish, cats, and dogs. Check your vet.

Vibramycin: Its drug is doxycycline, used in dogs, cats, and humans. You can get it at any vet, and I'm not sure if it requires prescription for the human "version".

Terramycin: Its drug is oxytretracycline, used in dogs, cats, and humans. You can get it at any vet, and I'm not sure if it requires prescription for the human "version".

Coccidia:
I don't have much experience with this but I did some research.

Corid: Its drug is amprolium, and it is used for cattle. Check your "big animals" vet.

Sulmet: Its drug is sulfadimidine (sulfamethazine), and it is not widely used as apparently it is carcinogenic, but some people still use it on dogs. For this reason you may be luckier if you are in a third world country. Check your vet :).

Albon: I have just heard about this drug in the first post. Did some research on it... The drug's name is sulfadimethoxine, and apparently it is widely used in dogs and cats. Lucky you! Go to your vet and get it :p.

Canker:
Good luck trying to find something else than metronidazole :p.

Flagyl: Its drug is metronidazole, used in dogs, fishes, and humans. Get it at any vet.

Ridzol: Its drug is ronidazole and it's not widely used in other animals (cats and dogs, at least). Give it a shot at your vet, you never know.

Emtryl: Its drug is dimetridazole. I have seen it used for dogs and cats, usually to combat giardiasis+coccidia, but I wouldn't say it is widely used. Anyways, I heard overdosage can be pretty dangerous with this so I wouldn't even try. Still, if I'm wrong, you can try at your vet.

Spartrix: Yes... I know you were waiting for this one :p. Its drug is carnidazole. I sincerely wish you luck finding it. I read somewhere that it was used on dogs, but here, vets have no idea what you're talking about when you ask them for this drug!

Dewormers:
I'm pretty sure you all can get ivermectin but I'll do a small summary anyways.

Ivomec or Eqvalen: Its drug is ivermectin. Used in cows, sheep, horses, cats, dogs... whatever. What in earth would we do without it? You can get it at any vet.

Panacur: Its drug is fenbendazole and it is used in dogs, cats, fish, and cattle. Get it at your vet.

Telmintic: Its drug is mebendazole, and it is used in dogs, cats, and humans. Get it at your vet. I'm not sure if it requires prescription if you plan on getting the one for humans.

Droncit: Its drug is praziquantel, and it is used in dogs, cats, and humans. Get it at your vet. I'm not sure if it requires prescription if you plan on getting the one for humans.

Tramisol: Its drug is levamisole and it is used in dogs and cats. I own this one. Pretty bad dewormer, I heard, and it gets toxic once it expires.

Candida:
I was asked about this one a bit ago so I'll write what I researched :).

Medistatin: Its drug is nystatin, and it's used in humans orally, and I think that it is also used for dogs (orally). I don't know much about this one, give it a shot at the vet and the pharmacy (I don't know if it requires prescription).

See less See more
#2 ·
NOTE: Please be aware that regulations on the sale of veterinary medicines vary considerably from country to country. Whilst it is possible to obtain such meds as are available directly from a vet (or, sometimes, a pharmacy) in some countries, in others (UK, for example) medicines will only be prescribed for an animal 'under the care' of the vet ~ that is, presented for examination ~ and quite likely only in such quantity as is required for a specific course of treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.