Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 24th February 2008, 05:32 AM

How Do I Keep Hawks And Falcons Away?

Hello, I' am new to this forum and would like some help on what works to keep hawks and falcons away. Tried the owl thing with no luck. What else is there? I heard a mirror ball helps. Any others? Thanks!

Posted 24th February 2008, 05:55 AM
there is really no way of getting rid of the falcons unless you follow them to there nesting spot and remove them manually other way's i have found success is to have a whistle and whistle really loudly to disrupt the falcons attack on a pigeon this has worked for me many times about 70% times
Posted 24th February 2008, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORMEZ View Post
there is really no way of getting rid of the falcons unless you follow them to there nesting spot and remove them manually other way's i have found success is to have a whistle and whistle really loudly to disrupt the falcons attack on a pigeon this has worked for me many times about 70% times
Are you suggesting removing the nests of these birds?

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Posted 24th February 2008, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORMEZ View Post

Is'nt that againist the law? Can't you get a very big fine $$$$ for doing that? And that's not counting getting attacked by the parents!
Posted 24th February 2008, 07:16 AM

I wouldn't advise messing with a falcon nest

I was just talking Friday night with a fellow that was with the Nevada Department of Wildlife for 30 years and he was showing us the scar he has on his neck from the time he was collecting some eggs from a Perigrine falcon nest. This was years ago when they were trying to figure out that DDT was killing the birds. Most of the falcons are very protective of their nests. The hawks aren't so much but most of them are still on the endangered species list and if you get caught it's $10K per egg or bird if you're caught with them. I don't think the mirror ball would work too well since their are nesting pairs of falcons that live on the Vegas strip? They have some new fake GHO's that move theri heads and flap their wings and I have heard a couple times that those work much better than the plastic solid fake GHOs. You might check with one of the reputable falconeer outfits like the California Hawking Club ( http://www.calhawkingclub.org/ ) and see if they can giove you some help.

NAB :-)
Posted 24th February 2008, 07:29 AM
The real answer here is you can't do anything at all. You must understand that our hobby on this forum is the raising and caring for animals that aren't that high up on the food chain. We raise food. Bunnies come around at lettuce farms, hawks and falcons come around at lofts. I came to accept that and moved my pet doves inside. If you can't bear to lose a bird, don't fly.
It's just a fact of life, we in the pigeon fancy have NO legal recourse.
Posted 24th February 2008, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philodice View Post
The real answer here is you can't do anything at all. You must understand that our hobby on this forum is the raising and caring for animals that aren't that high up on the food chain. We raise food. Bunnies come around at lettuce farms, hawks and falcons come around at lofts. I came to accept that and moved my pet doves inside. If you can't bear to lose a bird, don't fly.
You said it exactly right.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 24th February 2008, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philodice View Post
Yes, I unerstand and it is frustrating!!! We lost our favorite bird Saturday, right in front of the loft! My wife was really upset. I knew it was coming, because we have not had an attack or lost a bird in over a year. It really made me angry though, because you can't do anything! And it had to be our favorite bird whose mate just laid eggs a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the replies!!
Posted 24th February 2008, 08:44 PM
With all this discussion about hawks, I am wondering if it is possible to "hawk-proof" a pigeon enclosure? Soon we will begin making our aviary for Floyd. We will be using strong, metal, tight-mesh aviary wire, and it will be on our porch up against our house, but are there any special tricks we should use, or anything we should build in that will make birds safer? Also, if an aviary is locked up tight, how are the birds succumbing to the hawk?

Sorry to ask so many basic questions, but if we (or anyone else) can do something that can possibly avoid a tragedy now it would be SO worth it.
Posted 24th February 2008, 09:02 PM
The birds are outside of the loft. There is nothing to protect them.
Posted 24th February 2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Zelda,

If Floyd is inside his avery, then he will be safe. It is when you free fly your birds that they come into danger.
Posted 24th February 2008, 09:18 PM
Thank you! I was wondering if perhaps the hawks were pulling apart the cage or maybe even scaring the birds inside into intense shock. We have one Swainson's Hawk who occasionally comes around the back yard, and we do have a neighbor with roller pigeons --some outside the loft -- so that may be why he is hanging around. So sad for the pigeons, but out in nature of course raptors do have their place and that must be respected.
Posted 24th February 2008, 09:23 PM
Zelda,

I have heard of them flying through thin screen. And they do land on top of averies and scare the birds.
Posted 24th February 2008, 09:48 PM
We have recently had two hawks land on top of our aviary on two separate occasions. The last one was so bold, that it took me up to the challenge of walking up to it and clapping my hands for it to decide to fly away. Our aviary is a former big dog run with hardware cloth on the sides and removable tarp on the north side and top. I still have to add hardware cloth to the top for added reinforcement and safety, and plan to add mosquito netting this year to keep the small flying pests out. My adjacent pigeon coop also has hardware cloth and removable Plexiglas panes and I keep my 8 pigeons secured in small animal cages at night or when it is too cold for them to be "outside". I am not taking any chances with mine. There are those who race, and I understand that. Mine are pets. You are very right Feather, they do get scared that is for darn sure. But they can be protected. I know mine were. I also have some pesky stray cats that I have to keep an eye out for, and appreciate it when our dog Chewie goes out to "check" on the birds and their welfare.

TOOTERVILLE

Last edited by Victor; 24th February 2008 at 09:51 PM.
Posted 24th February 2008, 10:41 PM
i dunno but wear i live they are not protected and the council does not care about them i have rang up many times for them to do something about it but they dont i dont say that i remove them but i have seen people do so

Tags
pigeon coop, young bird

You may also search for: