Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 9th August 2003, 05:24 PM
Question

How long will "my" feral pigeon's life expectancy be?

Hi, It's me again. I wanted to know how long my feral flock might live? I heard that most feral pigeons only live a few years because of bad conditions while pets can live up to 20 years.

However, I don't know if my feral flock pigeons will be able to live as long as a pet.

Technically the whole flock is wild and the pigeons aren't really "my" birds.

However the reckognize me,the same flock comes to my yard and garden, I feed them, they also eat from bird feeder in my yard. I put out water for them to drink and bathe, and they live somewhere in my neighbourhood (don't know exactly which house or building they nest in and sleep, but i thinks its very close to my house).

So anyways they aren't really my pets but I treat them well, will they live as long as pets?

Also, by the way is there any way of determining how old an adult pigeon is? I don't know the age of the birds in my flock because when I first got to know them, they were already grown to full size.

------------------
Little steps are often the hardest to take. We are too used to making leaps in the face of adversity, that a simple skip is so hard to do. We should all learn to walk soft, walk small, see the world around us rather than zoom by it.

Little steps are often the hardest to take. We are too used to making leaps in the face of adversity, that a simple skip is so hard to do. We should all learn to walk soft, walk small, see the world around us rather than zoom by it.
Posted 9th August 2003, 06:37 PM
Your pigeons will live a good life if you offer them food and they are in a nice area

As for determining the right age of a full grown adult pigeon I think that is really not possible.. You can tell a young adult from it's behaviour but it's not easy in an adult pigeon unless you may have a really old pigeon that might look abit tired..

If I knew I would love to know how old my Dotty is.. Pearl has a band so I know she is a year old bird and another way to tell was when she laid her eggs for the first time (That means she is young )

Mary

Posted 12th August 2003, 09:53 PM
I heard that a feral pigeon's life on the streets - in the city - is about 4 years. Don't know about the country birds, but have heard that the "House Pidgies" can live up to 30 years since they are basically protected from the elliments and preditors. DC

Tags
adult pigeon, feral flock, feral pigeon

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

pigeons.biz
pigeons MN
pet pigeons
how to sex pigeons