Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 30th May 2004, 11:42 AM
Mom Pigeon Died just hatched the babies

Hi, We had a beautiful snow white pigeon that has been trying to hatch eggs since last summer. She had maybe 6 different sets of eggs that never hatched but then changed boy friends and they laid eggs about 20 days ago. Day before yesterday she was killed by a cat and our other 3 pigeons including the father abandoned the coup. He left the eggs over night so I brought them in and they were very cold. I put them under a light thinking the wouldn't hatch any ways but one just hatched...just 20 minutes ago. I have never raised a baby pigeon but am home all day so time is ok. I do have baby food formula from an older baby that we saved but could never get it down its throat...thank goodness it started eating seed but how do I take care of these two little ones. The other one just started pecking inside the egg asI can hear it when I hold it to my ear.
Nita

Posted 30th May 2004, 11:54 AM
Here, this may help you, click on the link. It will tell you how to take care of little pigeons.

I really don't know anything but this may!
http://www.duckpolice.org/BirdWeb/Pi...igeoncare.html

Good luck
Posted 30th May 2004, 12:43 PM
You are motivated and you have the time and that's a big plus. Keep the baby warm - 80 degrees is good - use a heating pad under a towel or a lamp shining into a box.

Place it on a coarse fabric like a towel or a sweatshirt. The baby is placed in soft tissue paper on the towel.

Food and feeding frequency depend on the age - for the first three days - the most critical time: 93% - 95% water and 5% - 7% solids. Use dry dog chow crushed into a very fine powder and mixed with warm water. If you have have some digestive enzyme supplements and a probiotic (non-dairy), then mix some into the food in a powder form. For older chicks to weaning age: 75% - 80% water and 20% - 25% solids. The feed can be thickened more by about three weeks. By about 10 days pij can eat about 120 cc's/day (about 8 tablespoons). You want to fill the crop at each feeding (crop is below the neck - an expanded extension of the esophagus - it's full when it feels like a bean bag but not too tight) and make sure the crop empties by the next feeding.

In the beginning the chick will need to eat about every two hours - but it will not eat much. As mentioned, around ten days the amount will increase to to about 120 cc's (8 tablespoons) and the feedings occur less frequently - about four times a day. Make sure and feed in the early morning and before bed.

For the first days you may get better control feeding with a pipette or dropper. After a few days you can use a plastic syringe (no needle), spoon (small with a curve bent-in is good), or a baggy with a small hole cut in one corner. If the bird gets cranky then wrap it gently in a towel with just the head sticking up - it will calm down and so will you, and you can take your time.

You may introduce wild bird seed to the mix around two weeks if you spoon feed, and you can put some seed down and peck at it with your finger (your daddy now!) to stimulate the weaning process. Dip the beak in a water container that is secured in the corner to introduce the drinking instinct.

Let us know when you have any questions and good luck.
Posted 30th May 2004, 01:11 PM
I just tried to feed it and it hardly took anything, a few drops maybe and it sticks its toungue out like a snake. When will its eyes open?? This has been a realy hard month...we had to put our dog to sleep. A coyote ran off with one of our cats. We bought a pinky mouse to feed the new snake but couldn't do it so we bottle fed the baby mouse for 4 days then it died. My miniature horse foal coliced. Then the cat killed our favorite bird right before she hatched her 1st eggs.YIKE!!! I hope these little ones make it. I am tired!!
Posted 30th May 2004, 02:43 PM
Hello Nita,

So sorry to hear about all the tragedies.

Thank you for helping these newly hatched babies.
The babies will need small feedings every two hours for the first few days.They need a quiet very warm environment that is safe from predators. You can layer some towels in a nest bowl in deep box, free of air drafts.They need a heat source as Dano mentioned.

Raising two baby pigeons from hatchling is a very difficult job, even for experts, let alone for a novice.This is not a job you can take on lightly.

It would be better if you could find a pigeon pair to foster care these babies A.S.A.P, ones that have a newly hatched baby themselves. The newly hatched babies require the "pigeon milk" that pigeons provide, especially for the first few days of life.

Perhaps someone you know or where you got your birds might have some breeding pairs...or you can locate a rehabber who is knowledgable in pediatric pigeon care.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying, but showing you an easier way that will make life easier for the babies and less stressful for you. Please continue to feed and care for these hatchlings until you find help.

Treesa

[This message has been edited by Trees Gray (edited May 30, 2004).]

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 30th May 2004, 02:58 PM
We got two of our birds from the feedstore but our original bird was a rescue that my husband got from the bridge. He works on the I-5 Interstate bridge and when birds get injured or fall from the nest he brings them home and we try to help them. So now 2 of our birds are bridge birds and two are from the feedstore but one of those died. I can't get them back into the coup either. They have been out of it for three days and have never done that. They always go to the coup to sleep but when Angel got killed they wouldn't come back in. Any suggestions? Maybe the father will still raise them?? But I don't want to put them back into the nest and them get cold.
Nita
Posted 30th May 2004, 03:01 PM
Smile

Also I should say that I am not new to taking care of orphaned or injured animals. It has been a passion of mine since I can remember. We lived on a farm and always took care of little critters. I am sure I can take care of them properly as long as I educate myself.
Thanks for all your help and I will keep you updated:-)
Posted 30th May 2004, 03:36 PM
Hi Nita,

I just thought I could help make life easier for you, and you definitely don't need another tragedy.

The father probably will not raise them since he took off. If the cat came into their coop, none of them will come back. They don't feel safe there anymore. The coop needs to be predator proofed if you haven't done so, already.

If it is impossible for you to get parent pigeons or find a pediatric rehabber then please follow the advice given, add digestive enzymes and probiotics to the baby bird formula, that is most crucial.

Please update us.

Thank you

Treesa

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 30th May 2004, 03:45 PM
Hi Treesa,
She was actually killed outside of the coop on the ground anout 15 feet away. I am feeding Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula. What should I add to it?? You said a probiotic and enzymes...how do I get those to put it in??
Thankss for your help...
Nita
Posted 30th May 2004, 03:50 PM
Treesa, you are so right about not needing another tragedy. I always hope for the best but am realistic too. I know that the chicks might not make it but I hope they do:-) With the baby mouse I woke up every two hours to feed it but it had an injury on its head from another mouse bite and it abcessed. I guess I will have my hands full for a good month and a half.
I'll keep you all up dated. Do you have any sugessions on how I can catch my other birds??
Posted 30th May 2004, 03:52 PM
I'm also raising some babies and giving them Kaytee exact formula. It contains probiotics and enzymes so you shouldn't worry too much but you can add extra probiotics in the first few days when feeding the babies (especially the first 4 days)
Probiotics can be bought at a natural health food store.

My babies are now about 12 days old and I started tube feeding them from day 4 or 5 after my pair of birds seemed to have abandoned them but at least they cared for them when they hatched which is the hardest part. If you can find a foster couple that would be SO much easier.

Here are some pics of the birds I'm raising, might help you a bit. http://community.webshots.com/user/marypigeons

I'll try to post some more thing later on, for now what types of syringes are you using? Try to use a little spout attachment as that makes it so much easier.

Mary

Posted 30th May 2004, 04:21 PM
Hi Nita,
I am so sorry for all you went through.
I wish you good luck with the babies. You've got some great advice.
I raised 2 babies from hatching, unfortunetly only one made it. The other one, my beloved Angel, is now 14 months old. I had no clue what I was doing, so she is kind of a miracle baby. She was raised on Exact formula and did good on it.
Also very important is to place the babies in a bowl like container so they won't developed slayed legs. I had Angel on a flat surface and that might have caused her slpayed legs.
Let us know how it is going, please.
Reti
Posted 30th May 2004, 05:45 PM
Mary how much probiotic do I add?? I love the pictures. I'm glad you added the picture with the crop. The first baby is eating ok now. I went in and it cheeped at me for the first time. I have it on a timer so I can feed it at the right times. I have another question....If I feed at 11pm before I go to bed how long can it go at night without food? I know the parents must roost and probably don't feed at night. Is it 6 hours??
Then I could feed at 5am when my husband gets up then again at 7 when the kids get up.
How old do they have to be to cut back on the feedings?? The syringe I got at petco by the bird formula, it has a skinny long tube but not flexible. I wouldn't try to put it down its crop. I tried to find flexible tubing but all I could find was fish tank tubing and its to big around. I asked the vet for some IV tubing but they wouldn't let me have any. Where did you get yours?
Right now I just patiently feed it a little at a time in its mouth. I am very careful not to give too much at once because I know it can choke.
Nita
PS The second egg has a little chip in it finally and I can still hear it chipping away. I figure it might hatch tomorrow.
Posted 30th May 2004, 05:49 PM
Reti,
Right now I have it in a small butter type bowl with nesting material and a fish light over the top of that. The light is for the betta tank and it doesn't get hot enough to burn my skin. It gets to about 80 degrees. I then put it in an empty fish tank with a lid on it just incase a cat should accidently get in the room. I have to go feed it at 8pm so I better go.
Thanks for all the advice and maybe some prayer too:-)
Nita
Posted 30th May 2004, 10:17 PM
Hi Nita,

I am probably just going to confuse you even more here, but we have had so many hatchlings die as they were being handreared that I couldn't forgive myself for keeping silent.

For the first week of their lives baby pigeons are fed on crop milk, and it is the abscence of this that makes them vulnerable. I believe that the Mac Milk diet is the closest to crop milk, so I will send you a copy of this. It includes digestive enzymes etc. and should give the babies their best chance of surviving those crucial days if you have been unable to find a foster parent.

Check your e-mail.

Cynthia

Tags
adult pigeon, baby bird, baby bird formula, baby food, baby pigeon, beak open, bird seed, breeding pairs, feeding formula, heating pad, nest bowl, nesting material, pet bird, pigeon care, pigeon milk, pigeon pellets, pigeon rescue, pigeon seed, raw peanuts, tube feeding, white pigeon, wild bird, wild bird seed