Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 4th February 2003, 06:08 PM

show birds that you raise

I do not see much activity on this part of the forum. What breeds do you raise. As this may enhance the input. on the different breeds. And breeding questions. I raise fantails. white. black and working with saddles.

Posted 5th February 2003, 11:59 AM
Have you shown them. What places have your birds got. I had some fantail but my dog got to them, now i have english trumpeters, and american komorner tumblers. I hope to get some more fantails soon. CJ.
Posted 5th February 2003, 02:23 PM
I did not show this year. Returned to the fantails last year. But plan to raise and show some birds this fall I did not raise many this last year and will use what I have for stock birds. They are good useful birds that I can rebuild a stud of fans back. I was out of the birds for 6 years .Moved and then returned back and had to get some fans agin. Ive raised several breeds over the years. But have found I enjoy the fans. the most. I have12 pair of birds now. Hope to raise 40 or fifty young birds this year. What color of fans will you be getting.
Posted 6th February 2003, 08:24 AM
Hello there,
I myself am also a fantail man. lol I currently have 10 pairs and several young birds from '02. Haven't raised any babies yet this year but I hope to raise at least 30+ That is my goal anyhow. I have in color's Black's, Black w/ Bronze and a Powder Sivler and Ash-red tail mark along w/ cream tail mark. That is in my American Fantails. In Indian's I have in color, Black Saddle's, Yellow Saddle, Grizzle,Kite, Black Self, Tail Mark and I think that's all. LOL I didn't realize how much color I had!!!!
I will be saleing some young birds though, unsexed pairs for $20 a bird if anyone who reads this is interested. That is only for the Indians. I can't afford to sale my American's as I only have 10!! I need more stock. lol
Welp I had better go now and shut up.
In the fancy of pigeons,
Nick Tull
Posted 6th February 2003, 01:14 PM
I raised a black tail mark last year. I will put her in either the saddle program or back on a white. Shes out of a saddle hen and white cock. I will probably have some useful birds this fall that I could let you get. But I will wait until the moult is over before I really go thru them. Your ash red tailmarks what kind of qulity are they
Posted 6th February 2003, 04:04 PM
I really like tailmarked, blacks, whites, and saddles, so probably some of those kinds but don't know? CJ. Thomas
Posted 7th February 2003, 08:42 AM
re lee, My ash red and cream tailmarks are a breeding pair, I have yet to get a nice pair of babies off of them. I purchased them at the NYBS in Louisville, KY from a guy. I've gotten 2 inferteil eggs off of them this year. First round of eggs. I would say that they'd place somewhere in a show, not really sure how high or low. I'd say about middle and up. I'll try and get some pictures of them if I can.
I'd be glad to take some off your hands this fall.
In the fancy,
~The kid with fantails~
Nick Tull
Posted 7th February 2003, 10:05 AM
Its best to trim the tails on your fans, in breeding season. Trim the tail straight up from the outside of the back. this will basicly let the tail look somewhere near like a normal bird say the first 8 outside tail feathers on each side. then trim the vent close as you can to the body. This will help to get more fertile eggs. As it becomes easyer for the cock bird to top the hen. The feathers will grow back after the moult. When the moult kicks in I will pull three on eahside that has been trimed and everyother day until all the trimmed feathers are removed. This lets the feathers come in as the others are. Do you show in oklahoma. The oklahoma pigeon show is held the first week of december most of the time may very a week either way. Its at shawnee ok. Should have a fifth disdrict fantail meet there also. I will plan to be there and could have a few birds for you then. You could meet some real good fantail breeders there also. But if you can not We could set up some shipping or I could maybe meet you say in wichita kansas. Have you joined the central fantail club yet. I would recomend you do . What colors do you plan to work with? I will try to help other people out with some birds also but agin it will be this fall.
Posted 8th February 2003, 08:43 AM
Hi Re lee,
Thanks for the breeding info. Every little bit counts. On the show's I have heard about Shawnee's show. I'll see what I can do. I might make it. Hey I pulled it off, to go to the show in Louisville,KY. Just depends on what the parents say. I've never showed before. Only in small shows like for 4-H but they do count too I guess. And no I haven't joined any clubs yet but hope to do that before the end of March. With school and all it's hard to attend shows, keep the birds up to tip-top shape. But there's juniors who do it well. Now do you raise American's or Indians? Right now what I have is a majority of Blacks but I'm planing on getting a few pair of Blue checks. DO you know Todd Bemis? That's who I got all my stock from.
In the fancy,
Nick Tull http://www.geocities.com/nick_tull20...?1044647256587
Posted 8th February 2003, 09:24 AM
What are tail marks?

Terry Whatley
Posted 8th February 2003, 11:18 AM
Tailmarks are basicly a white bird with the tail feathers of a different color. Makes a nice looking bird. It can have one of several colors in the tail. black red blue all with a white body. A body mark is the reverse of this. colored body with white tail saddle is white body colored wing ecept the outside flights remain white. NICK No I do not know him. And the junior members of any club is the future of the clubs and breeders. Most shows have a jr division. And its good that you have chosen the fantails. They are a compeitive breed of birds. And its allways nice to raise a good one. I raise what you would call american fantails. I just refuere to them as fantails. The indian fan is larger and probably easyer to raise .But I prfure the fantail due to It also being judged a bird of action also. So not only does it have to look good but it must also must be able to walk and demostrate its composer. Most of my birds have a ten and twelve inche tail
Posted 8th February 2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info on tail marks and body marks!

Terry Whatley
Posted 8th February 2003, 04:44 PM
Try going to this site shows a tale mark and has the standard for the fantail on it. www.azpigeons.org/fantail.htm let me know if it goes thru
Posted 8th February 2003, 04:54 PM
The link worked fine .. here are a couple of pics of my rescued fantail .. I am sure s/he is of no "stellar" quality, but I surely love this bird.

Here is FanFan the day after he was rescued .. pretty pitiful looking bird:

http://www.rims.net/fantail.htm

And here is FanFan a year later:

http://www.rims.net/bird0621.htm

Terry Whatley
Posted 8th February 2003, 06:07 PM
took a look at your bird . Looks like an indian fantail. and is a tailmark. but has aliuitle extra white in the tail. But still is a tailmark.

Tags
breeding season, cock bird, german owls, house pigeon, hungarian giant house, hungarian giant house pigeons, tail feathers, white bird, young bird