Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 17th August 2006, 01:55 PM
Question

twisted neck?

hi...its me again.......i have another problem with another fantails.....i noticed yesterday that this fantail was looking up....or at least i thought it was because its head was sideways.....today i saw that it twist its whole neck putting its head upside down and if it tries to walk, it fall down....then it goes again, with its head tilted side ways and then it twistes it....kinda like the exorxist...where her head goes around the whole way....anyways...does anybody know what it is? i have it isolated right now....please let me know..?

Posted 17th August 2006, 02:01 PM
I don't know much about this but could be ,Paramyxovirus or Salmonellosis. infection
try this link please and see
http://www.chevita.com/tauben/e-index3.html
Hope you find a right answer for this situation.
My prayers to your fantail
Karla
Posted 17th August 2006, 02:03 PM
I'm sorry to hear your fantail is sick.

Have your birds been innoculated for PMV or Paratyphoid?

It could possibly be one or the other disease.

PMV is a virus and can only be treated with good supportive care, it is very contagious.

Paratyphoid is bacterial and can be treated with Baytril, it is also contagious.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 17th August 2006, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your pij.
You have done the right thing to isolate him/her.

The link below will take you to Cynthia's (cyro51) very informative thread explaining PMV.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=12248

Please do keep us posted.

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Posted 17th August 2006, 02:28 PM
more information about symptoms in pigeons :

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/re...ealth/dp27.pdf
http://www.ifpigeon.com/dmvweir.html
http://www.americangianthomers.com/health.htm
http://www.internationalmodenaclub.c.../diagnosis.htm

Karla
Posted 18th August 2006, 12:14 AM
See photo below, the symptom is called star-gazing.

Cidy has already given you a link to my thread on PMV, that is based on about a year's research using books and the internet as well as nursing several pigeons with the disease back to health, so read it carefully.

It is very important that you isolate this dove from the others immediately and keep it isolated for 6 weeks now even if it appears to recover.

If you haven't vaccinated your birds against PMV start vaccinating any that do not show symptoms. Don't use the live vaccine.

THis can be a sign of vitamin or calcium deficiency, I supplement pigeons with the neck twisting immediately and often the symptoms only last a couple of days, but they still ned isolation and supportive care.

The pigoen in the picture had the crooked neck for about three days, then the star-gazing for two or three days. He is still in isolation but looks fine!

Last edited by Feefo; 8th February 2007 at 12:40 PM.
Posted 18th August 2006, 04:42 AM
any medicines i could give it? i have read the different sites you guys gave me (thank you) and some say is not curable, while others say they are? should i just take it to the vet to see what can i do?
Posted 18th August 2006, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MTM
any medicines i could give it? i have read the different sites you guys gave me (thank you) and some say is not curable, while others say they are? should i just take it to the vet to see what can i do?

There is NO medication for a cure, just good supportive care as mentioned in Cynthia's excellent thread on PMV.

The best medication is prevention, that is to innoculate your birds when they are youngsters, or make sure the original owner has innoculated them if the new birds are grown.

You can take her to a vet, but you must be very careful, as most vets do not have the knowledge that Cynthia has had from treating so many birds successfully. Many avian vets will opt for euthanasia, as they either don't care, don't have time, or don't have the extensive knowledge that Cynthia has.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 18th August 2006, 10:01 AM
So If It Never Cures, Wont The Pigeon Suffer Even If You Take Care Of It..i Mean If Im Not Mistaken, Doesn't It Affect Its Nervous System.....physically, Its Head Is Twisted, So It May Have Or It Does Have Difficulty To Eat Or Drink.......this May Sound Cruel, But Would'nt It Be Better To Put It To Sleep And Make It Not Suffer Any Longer?
Posted 18th August 2006, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyro51

The pigoen in the picture had the crooked neck for about three days, then the star-gazing for two or three days. He is still in isolation but looks fine!

Hi,

I don't have enough experience w/ this to give you any direct advice, but it looks like the "twisted neck" and "star gazing" are temporary and that the bird can make a good recovery, so I'd say NO, it's not kinder to euthanize in most cases...

Hang on, and I'm sure people who have more experience with this will be along to advise you.

Linda
Posted 18th August 2006, 10:13 AM
But the majority DO recover! The pigeon in the photo that I posted is FINE now he got better within 2 weeks.

The people that say they don't recover have probably never given a bird a chance to recover.

Look at the thread about the dove with neurological damage (link below), a dove that has been with me for 5 days. I am sitting next to her now. Her neck is straight again, she is eating on her own and is flying. Some people would have advised euthanasia but the people that brought her to me thought that she deserved a chance. They were right, but if she had been killed no one would ever have known that. I was prepared to have to wait 12weeks or more for her to show signs of improvement but look how she has rewarded me.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showth...referrerid=560

Cynthia
Posted 21st August 2006, 08:58 AM
ok......basically, i need to
1) isolate it (obiously)
2) give them extra vitamins
3) calcium if possible
4) heat?
5) time...
any thing else? (other than food and water)
Posted 21st August 2006, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MTM
ok......basically, i need to
1) isolate it (obiously)
2) give them extra vitamins
3) calcium if possible
4) heat?
5) time...
any thing else? (other than food and water)
Yep, warmth, environment that will not stress them out. Calcium supplement for sure.

Probiotics, garlic, digestive enzymes, as well as homeopathics Belladonna for symptoms of convulsive movements and/or Conium Maculatum for paralysis/stroke symptoms.

Please read Cynthia's thread.

Posted 21st August 2006, 11:24 AM
WHOA!!! and where do you guys get all of those?
Posted 21st August 2006, 11:31 AM
Health food store. Shouldn't be too hard.

Pidgey

Tags
avian vet, avian vets