Pigeon-Talk banner

Pigeon Lofts & Hardware

121K views 55 replies 37 participants last post by  ElizabethAthena 
#1 ·
Check Out This Website Awesome Sheds, Playhouses, & Little Sheds, Green Houses. Design Plans start at 7.99 up to 49.00 cheap and they are so cute. Some of the would make great lofts. After clicking on the link scroll down to Plans List then go to sheds, cabins & Cottages, Playhouses, etc pictures. http://www.plansforfree.com/index.htm

Andi

#3 ·
I thought that was a little strange free plans

it gets you to their site thats for sure. I just thought they were cute and pretty cheap.

thanks for the link (free)
Andi

#5 ·
#39 ·
I know what you mean

Hello All,

I highly suggest if one is interested in building a loft, that you forget shed designs. I certainly would never pay for shed designs !

You can go onto the AU website at : http://www.pigeon.org/sclofts1_05.htm
and see some showcase lofts, or even enter pigeon loft design into your search engine and find all kinds of links for lofts.
I know what you mean they don't look like aviaries or lofts at all..

#8 ·
Trees Gray said:
Thanks Warren,

If you have anymore sources please share.

We need a good resource thread for loft designs for our members.

OK,

Here's a problem, the best "Racing Pigeon Loft Designs", could have a commercial market value of many thousands of dollars. How does one over come this dilemma ?

These designs also affect the "show bird" fancy. Since advances in pigeongly often come from the racing community.

#9 ·
SmithFamilyLoft said:
OK,

Here's a problem, the best "Racing Pigeon Loft Designs", could have a commercial market value of many thousands of dollars. How does one over come this dilemma ?
Yes, the "Best" lofts could and do cost thousands of dollars. However, starter lofts for beginners do not need to.

I notice that the first one on the AU site cost about $1200 to build. A little steep for many beginners. The first one on the link I provided cost around $500.

Yes, that could still be a little expensive - but by purchasing supplies from less expensive sources, you can cut costs.

We have "Habitat for Humanity" in Canada - I'm not sure if it is in the US. Leftover supplies from HfH go to the "Restore" - a store where it is sold for much less than the usual price. I wonder if construction sites (like major subdivisions) would have someplace that you could contact, to purchase left- over odd size pieces of lumber?

Our local hardware stores all have a "free" bin outside - we've gotten bits and pieces of wood for our loft from there, by checking it frequently as we drive by.

#10 ·
The US does have a Habitat for Humanity and the resell stores w/less expensive materials. Many urban areas also have salvage yards for construction materials.
And, the lumber stores, at least in this area, have what's called a "drop-off" box
that is filled by lumber which has been cross-cut to length or ripped down in width. This is free to customers which want to paw their way through it and would work just fine for perches and the like.

fp

#12 ·
We usually pass alot of new construction, as this area is growing by leaps and bounds, and find trash cans or dump areas where we have gotten some nice small pieces of plywood and 2 X 4's. We always make sure to ask first so that everything is done above board. (no punn intended) :p

#13 ·
WhiteWingsCa said:
Yes, the "Best" lofts could and do cost thousands of dollars. However, starter lofts for beginners do not need to.

I notice that the first one on the AU site cost about $1200 to build. A little steep for many beginners. The first one on the link I provided cost around $500.
Actually, I was referring to racing lofts, and then only the "designs". I am sure there are differences around the country, but a lot of "beginners" are not poor.

Locally, I have seen a lot of 50 something males, getting back into pigeons. They have been sucessful in their careers, and now want to compete in a big way. $10-15,000 for a "starter" racing loft, may not be any big deal, for these older boys and their new toys ! :p I have even seen some of these "new guys" drop $30,000 on some fancy fad breeding stock.

My point is, if you have a budget of $100 or so for a loft, then some modifications to a rabbit hutch, could do the trick for a few pair. If you are selling your Harley, Vette, and boat, in order to go into racing in a big way, where can you even buy, top of the line designs for a super racing loft ? In my neck of the woods, we have Jr. members with $14,000 lofts ! Fifty something boys, with $70,000 street rods, think nothing of $20-$40,000 lofts.

Where can they go for designs ? Really good designs, employing the latest technology, are not floating around out there for free, unless they are old and outdated. :cool:

#14 ·
Aloft desighn needs to meet the typew of birds you plan to raise and breed. Also numbers of birds you plan to have. A racing loft. Is not a over desighn. But it has to have the right room for young birds. old birds. Breeder loft. seperating area. Air exchange. Ect. So its often a little larger if you keep several birds. Lofts do not have to expencsive. But should look nice not to take away from the neigborhood. New people want to start out less sometimes. So asmaller loft is built. Then as time goes by changes are made. I would suggest checking local lofts as to what a person might need. And local codes. after all its about what you can afford first then how much you will spend. A smiple loft can still house the best pigeons.

#16 ·
meng said:
Do anyone know of plans to build breeding boxes?
FYI. I just finished building my loft from

http://www.redroselofts.com/starter_loft.htm

It was fun building it.
Is this new loft going to be your breeding loft? We have a loft designed after the one at Red Rose, it's just a little bigger. The section we have our cocks in has some nest boxes that are pretty nice to raise youngsters in. I don't know of a specific site that has plans for breeding boxes though. The pictures can be found here:

http://lovebirdsloft.homestead.com/WidowhoodLoftPage.html

#20 ·
meng said:
Your breeding box look like a good size. Is it 24" x 12" x 12"?
Actually, the boxes in the Widowhood loft with the different colored fronts are about 30" X 16". The boxes in our breeding loft are about 26" X 16" This according to my husband. He's the builder. :)
You'll notice that there are two different fronts on the two boxes. I personally prefer raising babies in the one with the doors that open. Just makes it easier to clean the inside. We let our widowhood pairs raise one round in that loft and it was ok but a little harder to clean around the colored front because it's stationary. Just a presonal preference.

#21 ·
Insect netting

Hi fellow members and guests,

One more point I would like to add is the importance of adding mesh screen in front of your hardware cloth. This screen material is available in grey and black metal type, and a soft fiberglass roll is also available and can be found at most home improvement stores.It is easy to cut.

A roll can cost about $7.00 or so, and come in various lengths and widths and can be secured with tacks over the hardware cloth, and can be easily removed after the mosquito season, which can run from mid Spring to early Fall.

I also keeps out other pests such as flies and bees or wasps.

#22 ·
How do you build your own

I had wanted to build my own but what exactly does loft look like

Marie

#25 ·
I always had an idea for a loft. I am thinking of finding an older flatbed trailer, floored with wood. Such as the ones used to pull four wheelers etc, about 14 x 7. You could knock out a few wood slats four a grated floor under the perches. Then you could build a loft on the trailer, attached soundly to the base. You could build removable aviaries when you want to move the loft. This loft could be fully movable just by putting air in the tires and hooking up to the loft. You could skirt it when set up to hide the undercarriage and wheels. You could build an aviary around the neck of the trailer. Just an idea that I always have had.
Randy

#27 ·
Hello Randy,

Our combine race secretary built just what you described. I'm not sure that it is that much different then a WWI or II pigeon corps type of mobile loft. Although for as often as a loft needs to be moved, a modular design which can be taken apart and relocated, may work just as well. :rolleyes:

#26 ·
http://www.redroselofts.com/starter_loft.htm
I plan to build a loft based on " Steve Ribaudo's " Build, looks good, will start with a small 8x8 like that and then later hopefully add on for a young bird loft! Although i must say i did change things around alot to make it into what i needed ( inside loft storage for misc items)!

Red rose loft has many good ideas to consider i highly recommend visting their site for information!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.