Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Loft Designs

Posted 31st December 2010, 09:21 AM

Sputnik Plan

The photo is a picture I used as an example. The one thing I failed to include is that I covered the landing area with both wire and hinged the plywood so that it can flip up to cover the trap when not in use. The front door works well to let the birds out. Now that I've had it in use the landing area could have been larger perhaps. The photo shows a solid floor but I made it wire...small areas are hard to clean it seems.

Last edited by raftree3; 26th February 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Posted 31st December 2010, 09:26 AM
morning guy
looks good,but what is the reason you need this,i dont know what it is for.
Posted 31st December 2010, 08:03 PM
It's a sputnik, it serves three purposes. It is a small aviary for birds to get sun and acts as a training or settling cage for youngsters. The white door releases birds when open. The 4 openings on the 45 degree top section is how the birds enter and can't get out. If they try to get out thru those openings their feet have no where to grab and their wings will be open. Hence the reason for the 45 degree angle at the entrance. After birds enter the entrance it's usually sealed to prevent predators from coming in. I hope this helps? A healthy and Happy New Year to all. Nick
Posted 1st January 2011, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek Boy View Post
It's a sputnik, it serves three purposes. It is a small aviary for birds to get sun and acts as a training or settling cage for youngsters. The white door releases birds when open. The 4 openings on the 45 degree top section is how the birds enter and can't get out. If they try to get out thru those openings their feet have no where to grab and their wings will be open. Hence the reason for the 45 degree angle at the entrance. After birds enter the entrance it's usually sealed to prevent predators from coming in. I hope this helps? A healthy and Happy New Year to all. Nick
If you look in my album under "my loft" you will see mine is built like the one you built.

Tony

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Anne Frank
Posted 1st January 2011, 08:11 AM
I really like your water system. I built my sputnik just like yours to begin with but I put some solid areas......landing area....seems like they hit it easier not so much flapping.
Posted 1st January 2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftree3 View Post
I really like your water system. I built my sputnik just like yours to begin with but I put some solid areas......landing area....seems like they hit it easier not so much flapping.
Trust me, the wire makes it easier to clean, and they land and enter just fine. One day a hawk flew over and ten birds landed and dropped in like one second flat.

For the water system it is set up high with a slanted roof. I have two hundred small christmas lights under it to keep from freezing. High so dust and feathers do not blow into the water and the roof to keep poop out. 4 inch pipe works real good.

Tony

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Anne Frank
Posted 1st January 2011, 01:27 PM
I like your watering system, but I think I will need more than Christmas lights it was -4 last night.
Dave
Posted 2nd January 2011, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Pete View Post
I like your watering system, but I think I will need more than Christmas lights it was -4 last night.
Dave
You will be surprised. If you use the larger outside lights they would work. I changed to the smaller becaused the larger made my water too hot. I could of bathe in it. Now the Christmas lights work because my waterer is a long 4" pipe that holds two gallons of water. But down to pipe the lights only have to heat maybe three inches of water where the tall waterers would freeze at the top because the top of the water is too far from the heat source. Also the curve of the pipe allows the heat of the lights to flow up and around the pipe keeping the colder temps away from the water.

Also your loft is not as open as mine therefore, the heat from the lights will warm the loft a little more than what is outside.

Tony

Posted 2nd January 2011, 07:32 AM
I am glad the Christmas lights work for you. Heating a column of water from the bottom works for the top as well as the bottom due to convection currents. The heated water at the bottom rises through the cooler water warming the entire column. An exception would be if the heat were basically insufficient to counter the ambient temperature.

Last edited by Wayne Johnson; 2nd January 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Posted 2nd January 2011, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Johnson View Post
I am glad the Christmas lights work for you. Heating a column of water from the bottom works for the top as well as the bottom due to convection currents. The heated water at the bottom rises through the cooler water warming the entire column. An exception would be if the heat were basically insufficient to counter the ambient temperature.
Yes, I agree. My heat source is four foot long and comes from 200 small Christmas lights. The column of water is three inches tall; also with the shape of the pipe and lights on both sides the heat that does not transfer thru the pipe to the water runs up the curve of the pipe preventing the extreme cold from getting to the water. To each their own, this has worked for me last winter and this winter so far. But then my coldest temp was 10 degrees in an open loft. I also had to go to the small incandescing lights because the larger lights made the water very warm to the touch.

Posted 2nd January 2011, 06:54 PM
Nice sputnik trap and thanks for the diagram.

"I like to believe in people."
Jonathan Kent, Smallville
Posted 3rd January 2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks for making a potentially difficult and confusing project clear and easy to follow.
Great job.

Would you mind if I tried to draw it to scale on Sketchup? I don't want to take away from your hard work.

Last edited by Wayne Johnson; 3rd January 2011 at 07:29 AM.
Posted 3rd January 2011, 08:19 AM
Please do Wayne...I admire your use of Sketchup...haven't tried to use it myself. Maybe while you're at it you could "Sketchup" some plans of stalls to put in front of my bop traps. Running out of projects. I am considering building a hopper feeder though, one where you can offer a number of choices of individual feed types...I did find a plan for that.
Posted 3rd January 2011, 09:16 PM
I used as many of your dimensions as possible.

This is the wood only. Everything is 1x2 lumber. Trap is at 45degree angle. The plywood landing board is also the door to close up the trap. the length of
28.5" is random I just liked the way the landing board looked.

Last edited by Wayne Johnson; 3rd January 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Posted 3rd January 2011, 09:36 PM
Here it is with the wire in place. I am proud of the corners. They are lap jounts using dimensional lumber rather than a table saw. The actual size of a 1x2 is 3/4" x 1.5"