Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Loft Designs

Posted 28th September 2011, 09:36 AM
Got the turntable finished up, I found some scrap aluminum to make extenders and used spacers to bring the turntable down level with the box,the circle is about 9.25 inches in diameter,,, came out pretty good

Last edited by Wingsonfire; 28th September 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Posted 28th September 2011, 02:14 PM
Nice job. I would cut 2 circles out of plywood, glue them together and cover them with carpet or cloth, and sit it on there. They like to sit on something higher. If you just sit it there you can use it or not.
Posted 28th September 2011, 05:16 PM
you used the wrong color pal. pigeon have white body part like nose cere, some have white feathers. that white color of your picture box will combine with the white color of pigeon thats make it hard to edit your image.

MY PIGEONS AND OTHERS

fly high and soar the sky
Posted 28th September 2011, 05:41 PM
I do not think it is painted yet.
Posted 29th September 2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the tip Shady, the inside is going to be what you see, its white matt formica. If the background needs to be changed I can use photo background paper, it comes in a few hundred different colors
Posted 29th September 2011, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsonfire View Post
Thanks for the tip Shady, the inside is going to be what you see, its white matt formica. If the background needs to be changed I can use photo background paper, it comes in a few hundred different colors
Yep, That paper will work. I'm in the process of putting a background in mine I took a pic of the sky line of trees and the blue sky with white clouds I need to figure out where i can get it blown up to the size of the box at a reasonable price.
Posted 29th September 2011, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadybug Lofts View Post
Yep, That paper will work. I'm in the process of putting a background in mine I took a pic of the sky line of trees and the blue sky with white clouds I need to figure out where i can get it blown up to the size of the box at a reasonable price.
Photo shop or a like software program to add the clouds to the background, if you can think of it someone has for the most part already figured it out lol ?

Last edited by Wingsonfire; 29th September 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Posted 29th September 2011, 05:26 PM
That background paper is pretty nice, you can use it to make the corners curved instead of squared off
Posted 29th September 2011, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Photo shop or a like software program to add the clouds to the background, if you can think of it someone has for the most part already figured it out lol ?
Thats to easy, I don't know how to do that photo shoppy thing. I guess you could take a pic of your bird in the loft and photo shop a background on it.
Posted 29th September 2011, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadybug Lofts View Post
A good photo editing prog will let you "cut" the pic into sections,
then print them off on a matt photo paper (to eliminate light glare), cut any borders neatly & join pages together.
you can either split it down middle (most of seam will be hidden by bird)
or take a central panel and edges.
Only thing youve got to remember is to keep your printer colour settings and page settings/layout the same for each part you need to print otherwise they wont match up.
If you get a sheet of card the size of the box, spray it with "spray mount" photo adhesive, you can lay the parts on it and get a good butt seam that doesnt show.
Posted 29th September 2011, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
A good photo editing prog will let you "cut" the pic into sections,
then print them off on a matt photo paper (to eliminate light glare), cut any borders neatly & join pages together.
you can either split it down middle (most of seam will be hidden by bird)
or take a central panel and edges.
Only thing youve got to remember is to keep your printer colour settings and page settings/layout the same for each part you need to print otherwise they wont match up.
If you get a sheet of card the size of the box, spray it with "spray mount" photo adhesive, you can lay the parts on it and get a good butt seam that doesnt show.
OK, You got me interested in photo shop. Now I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for the tips.
Posted 29th September 2011, 06:08 PM
Quote:
That background paper is pretty nice, you can use it to make the corners curved instead of squared off
I plan on curving mine. I'm thinking it will keep the bird on the pedestal better.
Posted 29th September 2011, 06:11 PM
I just used Photo Shop as an example There are plenty of free programs and ones that cost little to nothing out there..
Posted 29th September 2011, 06:18 PM
I think you'll like the turntable concept. It's certainly tough to get those bird to sit just how you want them. Below is my first box. I used a scrap piece of formica from a cabinet shop - you could easily swap it out for another color. I like having the background curved as it makes for less post-production work. But the problem with it is that the birds will tend to "climb" up it. It doesn't always make for the perfect "Pipa" style profiles, but I'm not going for that so I don't care. (btw, those Pipa photos are photoshopped so much you can't tell the true shape of a bird).

I have tried different lights, including the reflectors with daylight balanced CFLs as pictured below. I can't understate how important the lights are. You may want to consider cutting more holes in the top and side of your box, covering them with something translucent, and shooting lights through them. The more the better!

Make sure if you use these kind of reflector lights that all of your bulbs are the same so the color balance won't be different. I actually prefer using flashes in the same position as in the picture below, but that's far more expensive unless you have them anyway like I do.

The light in my box is diffused by shooting through the plastic. The sides and top are made from the plastic panels that cover the big fluorescent banks in the ceilings in most commercial buildings (available at Lowes, etc). The back and bottom is only the one sheet of formica. There is nothing behind it. It's easy to wipe up the nervous "accidents", too.

I prefer the white background but I'll probably get a black one for the grizzle birds soon. I like simple and clean and I really don't like all the distractions that people tend to put behind and around their birds. It's just too over the top for me. Let the bird do the talking - it ain't a photoshop contest!

I'd build it a bit bigger next time but honestly I wouldn't change much. Yes, a turntable would be nice, but I like having the sloping backdrop too much. And it is so incredibly light. I bet it's less than a half a pound.

Below is the box, and an example of a photo straight out of the camera and then the finished photo after it was cropped, color corrected and cleaned up a bit. You can see other examples of my cocks and hens on my pigeon website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101120pigeon_box005_800.jpg (80.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 101120pigeon_box010_800.jpg (62.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 101120lf04342.jpg (87.1 KB, 172 views)
Posted 29th September 2011, 06:40 PM
My box is 21 1/2 wide and 17 tall and 18 deep, you think that's about the right size Kastle. Nice setup buy the way, you look like u are the go to guy on the bird photography, very nice

Last edited by Wingsonfire; 29th September 2011 at 06:48 PM.