Pigeon-Talk banner

Can dove's breed with pigeons??

64K views 62 replies 22 participants last post by  bigsteve1239 
#1 ·
Hi, i was just wondering if doves can breed with pigeons? When i was looking for pigeons, i found doves also and just wondered if you could breed doves with pigeons!

Thanks!

pigeonkeeper

#44 ·
Dr. Wilmer Miller did some research into dove-pigeon hybrids. These were inter-species hybrids (mules), and most of the females never lay and most of the males are infertile.

If the pigeon is a male and the [ringneck] dove is female, the offspring are 98% male. The reciprocal mating of a male ringneck with a female pigeon will give 50/50 split of males to females.

Mating domestic pigeons with other pigeon species (homer x guinea pigeon for instance) usually give fertile offspring. This is because there are not inter-generic hybrids as are Columba x Streptopelia hybrids.

See this website for sources.

#52 ·
male dove x female pigeon hybrid

Do they start pairing at a young age?
yes,
I keep ringneck, homers, and rollers and can tell you that the pigeons would definitely kill my ringnecks.
Pigeons are strange for doves but never kill them.Pigeons can kill ringneck doves one condition,When many pigeons in cage.
One pigeon and one dove keep in separate cage.
I have Male Pigeon with ECD same cage.Male ringneck dove with female pigeon separate cage.

#55 ·
asadj, sorry for delay.... I checked your album and you have beautiful birds.

Arabian Trumpeter size is smal and they suite with doves. thier normal voice is much diffirent than any pigeon. voice is quite same as dove but very louder, as we say in our area (singing or Whistling). a good Arabian Trumpeter male sings for 2-3 hours (none-stop). All Hybrid voice is mixed between dove and arabian trumpeter
. in the last few days I asked many breeders who hybrid dove and arabian trumpeters, all of them said that all hybrid birds act as Males and never fertile. breeders mate them with doves and use them as nesting pairs. These pairs are realy good as an alternative parents.

#57 ·
I didn't try male dove x female Arabian Trumpeter hybrid but I can ask some of my friends maybe they tried. The voice of in general is clear diffirent than any dove or Spotted Dove. Also because of the hybrid birds size is bigger, they could be more agressive and rowdy with other male doves.

#61 ·
It doesn't happen that often so there are not any birds to test in this.. common sense tells me they would not do well if the dove was a domestic one.. if it was wild it may have some migration tendancies perhaps. most of the hybreds are not fertile so it really does not matter in cultivating a type anyway.

just to share the thread was started in 2008

#60 ·
A dove is a the term used to describe either an all white homing pigeon or an all white ringnecks dove. The ringneck dove is a different species than a pigeon so a hybrid would be difficult to make but after looking through this thread it's apparently not impossible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.