Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Pigeon and Dove Genetics

Posted 18th May 2011, 06:11 PM

color genetic pairing

can somebody give an idea on what colors of pigeons do i pair for me to have a certain color of results to their offspring?? like what color of pigeons should i pair when i wanted to have a grizzle, a pied or black spread resulting offspring~ could somebody share to me a list or chart of genetic color combination/crossing~? ^^

Posted 18th May 2011, 06:18 PM
Here are two sites that are extremely useful, when color matings are desired.
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingDuifSpecial.html and http://www.slobberknockerlofts.com/colormatings.htm
Posted 18th May 2011, 06:30 PM
Well if you want grizzle, you'll need a grizzle. It's dominant. Same thing goes for spread (what turns blue to black).

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 18th May 2011, 08:16 PM
thanks for the replies i didn't even expect replies right away when i posted this today and this is my first time^^ if i pair a grizzle with a red can i have a grizzle? what do you guys think would be the 2 offspring results~? i have them already paired^^
Posted 18th May 2011, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Well if you want grizzle, you'll need a grizzle. It's dominant. Same thing goes for spread (what turns blue to black).
@MaryOfExeter thanks~!! yes i have blue bars and checks and i also have some grizzle pigeons~ what do you think colors i can crossbreed to have spread black the one that is pure black~?
Posted 18th May 2011, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg23 View Post
Here are two sites that are extremely useful, when color matings are desired.
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingDuifSpecial.html and http://www.slobberknockerlofts.com/colormatings.htm
@redleg23 thanks for the links!! by the way does homozygous grizzle means it has both grizzle parents? there are some terms that are a bit complicated.. and thanks for the second link it's helpful~ and also i want to ask what do you call pigeons with kind of wooden or like a brick brown colored wingshield with a typical blue underneath and head and tail~~~? it was like a check but the wingshield have a brick brown color
Posted 19th May 2011, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heedictator View Post
@redleg23 thanks for the links!! by the way does homozygous grizzle means it has both grizzle parents? there are some terms that are a bit complicated.. and thanks for the second link it's helpful~ and also i want to ask what do you call pigeons with kind of wooden or like a brick brown colored wingshield with a typical blue underneath and head and tail~~~? it was like a check but the wingshield have a brick brown color
Homozygous means 2 out of the 2 genes are carrying a particular genetic characteristic.

So homozygous for grizzle means out of the two gene slots, both carry the grizzle gene. For an offspring to be homozygous for a particular trait, both parents should carry that trait.

Not sure on the pattern of pigeon you have mentioned, a picture would help, might be an archangel.
Posted 19th May 2011, 01:55 AM
Quote:
@redleg23 thanks for the links!! by the way does homozygous grizzle means it has both grizzle parents? there are some terms that are a bit complicated.. and thanks for the second link it's helpful~
Hi there, you might want to read up on genetics and specifically pigeon genetics. Reading as much as possible will give you a sound grounding in the terminology used. It can get a bit confusing sometimes when we start babbling about dominant, recessive, homozygous, heterozygous and epistatic. Internet searches is an easy and fun way to get the basics down.

Here are a few more links to pigeon genetics websites:
Frank Mosca's site
Ron Huntley's site
Tom Barnhard's site
Mangile's Bare Basics of Heredity

Quote:
and also i want to ask what do you call pigeons with kind of wooden or like a brick brown colored wingshield with a typical blue underneath and head and tail~~~? it was like a check but the wingshield have a brick brown color
The bird you describe is probably an Indigo. But there are other genes that cause red/brown pattern on blue instead of the expected black (for instance Modena bronze). We'd have to have an idea which breed the bird is (or a picture - even better) to be able to give a more definite answer.

http://sites.google.com/site/colourhomers/
Posted 19th May 2011, 05:18 AM
Quote:
and thanks for the second link it's helpful~

OK, some compliments are just mean...
Posted 19th May 2011, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolph.est View Post
Hi there, you might want to read up on genetics and specifically pigeon genetics. Reading as much as possible will give you a sound grounding in the terminology used. It can get a bit confusing sometimes when we start babbling about dominant, recessive, homozygous, heterozygous and epistatic. Internet searches is an easy and fun way to get the basics down.

Here are a few more links to pigeon genetics websites:
Frank Mosca's site
Ron Huntley's site
Tom Barnhard's site
Mangile's Bare Basics of Heredity

@rudolph thanks for the informations^^ i was just making sure and the terms seems a bit refreshing but i was once interested and familiar with genetics & microbiology~~ keke

The bird you describe is probably an Indigo. But there are other genes that cause red/brown pattern on blue instead of the expected black (for instance Modena bronze). We'd have to have an idea which breed the bird is (or a picture - even better) to be able to give a more definite answer.
@rudolph i've been researching about what color it is called but can't see anything very close to him~ only bronze came a bit close to his color~~ but i'm sad he was gone just yesterday ㅜㅜ the bronze pigeons i saw in the sites doesn't have fixed bronze wingshield and the color of their body and head are also bronze. mine is like a dark check only that it has a bronze wingshield~ i'll try finding more informations and pictures~ thanks!!
Posted 19th May 2011, 07:11 AM
[quote=Henk69;574446]

@Henk69 i'm sorry i don't mean anything bad... it's just that the first link was very complicated for me... but i noted for both links so i can check on both anytime
Posted 19th May 2011, 09:08 PM
my pigeon looks like the one on the picture 1., only that it doesn't have the white instead he has a head and the rest of the body of a bluebar~ and it was also like the one on picture 5~~ please take a look on the link http://www.angelfire.com/ga/huntleyl...na_bronze.html
Posted 19th May 2011, 09:11 PM
i also have the one on the picture 2 & 4~ i thought they were just simple check now i now they were bronze pigeons http://www.angelfire.com/ga/huntleyl...na_bronze.html
Posted 20th May 2011, 01:33 AM
How about Pied pigeons~ can i have pied when i breed blue bars with whites or checks with whites? pied pigeons is very rare for me^^
Posted 20th May 2011, 01:34 AM
by the way why is there no option for writing new thread...?

Tags
color crosses