Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 21st July 2012, 07:44 AM

A Hood for a Pigeon

My pet pigeon Schubert, an old Old Dutch Capuchine, is trained as a 'bird of the gauntlet' and is an educational bird as well. He and I are always putting on a show for someone- I will ask him to fly or come to me or go to his perch and his spectators are always surprised by his beauty and that he is a pigeon and not a small bald eagle or vulture.

He is trained like a raptor except that of course he doesn't go after rabbits and will not attack you if he gets ticked. He wears the jesses, anklets, bells and bewits, leash for the leg, and when he is not performing, a hood.

Pigeons are prey animals so they are naturally a bit nervous around new people and new places. I would never, ever put the enjoyment of other people before his health, so to keep him relaxed while they pet or hold him and when he is in unfamiliar places I made him a hood. As we all know, birds are calmer when they can't see.

This is not my first hood, I've made them before, but they're getting better.
This one is made out of synthetic leather, very light, nice and soft on the inside. The piping, topknot, and braces are made out of ribbon instead of leather so they aren't too heavy, but I did make a leather brace just'n case as seen in the first pic.
I painted a few designs on it too

Schubert Hood.jpg
Schubert Hood2.jpg
Schubert Hood 3.jpg

Schubert adjusted quickly and does not mind it now. It takes them a while to get used to the new weight on their head but after they adjust to it and get used to being hooded they usually forget it is there. It always helps if you start when they are younger, but Schubert was a year old before I started hooding him and he does just fine.

If you've got a bird like Schubert/would like to train one, and want to learn how to make a hood for him/her, go to this site I posted below. A pidge will usually have a head size around 32 mm (at least that is what Schubert wears), so use around that for your pattern size.

http://www.squidoo.com/Making-a-Falconry-Hood

Thanks!

Posted 21st July 2012, 03:12 PM
thts pretty cool!
Posted 22nd July 2012, 10:15 AM
It probalby looks cool for the show, but I would think with repetition he would get used to new places and people without being blinded.

Im sure he is not going to go after the wrong prey if he does not have the hood..lol..

you have great skills as an artist.
Posted 22nd July 2012, 01:48 PM
I hood him because I do not want him to bate when he is around other people, that is embarressing if you are a pigeoneer or a falconer... Pigeons aren't dumb, they won't fly if the can't see where they're going!
The other reason is that he is protective of me and sometimes he gets aggitated at other people when they pet him. He hasn't bitten anyone yet (except for me!) but I do not want to take chances. When he has his hood on he can't tell the difference if it is me or somebody else, even if he did try to peck I believe he would miss!

Anyway, I would never forgive myself if Schubes got scared in an unusual place, flew off and couldn't find me, so I believe he will be wearing a hood when he's not at home, for his own safety.

If you liked the hood, go check out my other (and more extravagant) artwork on my homepage. Thanks!
Posted 23rd July 2012, 08:47 AM
bate? pigeoneer?.. are you in the military?

I can see how it may make things easier for you if he is hooded, but I find it a bit strange for a pigeon.
Posted 23rd July 2012, 09:49 AM
I don't think he's in the military. He's 13.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 23rd July 2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
I don't think he's in the military. He's 13.
She looks like a high school student from the profile.. sorry, did not know you knew this 13 year old boy.

(pigoneer is a military term for the keepers in the War.)

Last edited by spirit wings; 23rd July 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Posted 23rd July 2012, 11:49 AM
Yes I know what pigeoneer means historically but around here we use that term for any pigeon fancier. "Go stop by the pigeoneer's house and help him clock in his racebirds." "There are lots of pigeoneers in this area who linebreed."
Yes I know a hood is unusual for a pigeon because no one has ever really tried it before, but in my opinion more people should hood their pigeons because they are extremely visually-oriented and too much frightening input can stress them horribly.

"Bate" is when a bird is frightened or eager and pulls at its leash. Wings and talons hurt when they smack and it is always embarassing to have an uncontrolled bird on your hands while you're in front of other people. If the bird gains momentum it can injure their legs. Pigeons can be just as bad about bating as raptors but the habit is much easier to correct in pigeons. They're much more placid and controllable than raptors. We must remember that Raps are wild animals, pigeons are about as domestic as an animal can get.

"Bailey" is a unisex name but in this case it is referring to a female
Posted 23rd July 2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofthegauntlet View Post
Yes I know what pigeoneer means historically but around here we use that term for any pigeon fancier. "Go stop by the pigeoneer's house and help him clock in his racebirds." "There are lots of pigeoneers in this area who linebreed."
Yes I know a hood is unusual for a pigeon because no one has ever really tried it before, but in my opinion more people should hood their pigeons because they are extremely visually-oriented and too much frightening input can stress them horribly.

"Bate" is when a bird is frightened or eager and pulls at its leash. Wings and talons hurt when they smack and it is always embarassing to have an uncontrolled bird on your hands while you're in front of other people. If the bird gains momentum it can injure their legs. Pigeons can be just as bad about bating as raptors but the habit is much easier to correct in pigeons. They're much more placid and controllable than raptors. We must remember that Raps are wild animals, pigeons are about as domestic as an animal can get.

"Bailey" is a unisex name but in this case it is referring to a female
Good to know...lol.. are you sure you are in high school? you sound too mature....lol..
Posted 23rd July 2012, 02:53 PM
Pretty hood And the way someone sounds on the internet doesn't mean they aren't young Someone thought I was in my 30's before they met me and found out I was 15.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 23rd July 2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Pretty hood And the way someone sounds on the internet doesn't mean they aren't young Someone thought I was in my 30's before they met me and found out I was 15.
Thats true......
can work the other way as well
Posted 23rd July 2012, 06:21 PM
Yep, pretty sure I'm only 13. I'm supposed to be in 8th grade but they skipped me
I abhor text abbreviations in common speech/online and poor grammar. It has its place, maybe, but if you're trying to make yourself look respectable it's best to leave it out, lest people think you dropped out in the 4th grade.

Also, just whipped up some matching anklets and a jess! Safer than leashes.

SchubertJess3.jpg

SchubertJess2.jpg

SchubertJess1.jpg
In the background you can see a few of my interests... record players (I own no CDs, I like oldies and older-than-dirt oldies), musical instruments (I taught myself to play banjo, violin, guitar, and the 30lb piano accordion, and I must be alright because people are always asking me to play for festivals, jams, fairs, hoedowns, barn dances, funerals. Quite a few times I've been out busking in historical Desoto and storeowners ask me to play in front of their shops to "attract customers!"). Ha ha! I suppose I'm a bit of an unusual 13 year old.
Posted 24th July 2012, 06:58 AM
Alright, alright, I think your making them feel bad, lol
Posted 24th July 2012, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofthegauntlet View Post
Yep, pretty sure I'm only 13. I'm supposed to be in 8th grade but they skipped me
I abhor text abbreviations in common speech/online and poor grammar. It has its place, maybe, but if you're trying to make yourself look respectable it's best to leave it out, lest people think you dropped out in the 4th grade.

Also, just whipped up some matching anklets and a jess! Safer than leashes.

Attachment 24602

Attachment 24603

Attachment 24604
In the background you can see a few of my interests... record players (I own no CDs, I like oldies and older-than-dirt oldies), musical instruments (I taught myself to play banjo, violin, guitar, and the 30lb piano accordion, and I must be alright because people are always asking me to play for festivals, jams, fairs, hoedowns, barn dances, funerals. Quite a few times I've been out busking in historical Desoto and storeowners ask me to play in front of their shops to "attract customers!"). Ha ha! I suppose I'm a bit of an unusual 13 year old.

Well you are a very special and talented kid that is for sure! I thought you were a 20 something year old lady...lol.. good luck with you're projects, I have no doubt you will go far.
Posted 24th July 2012, 08:26 AM
Thank you for the pictures! Yes, they seem much better for the bird when on two legs rather than on one. What material is the anklets made out of?

Tags
hood, hooding