Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 14th April 2008, 08:31 AM

Biggest Pigeon breed

I was just wondering what everyone would say what the biggest pigeon breed is according to weight and size?

Posted 14th April 2008, 09:14 AM
The ones from the FedEx commercial?

(sorry!)
Posted 14th April 2008, 11:03 AM
The Victopia Crowned pigeon is the largest pigeon it about the size of a chicken go to Google and lookup the crowned pigeon this is a very beautful bird. It is on the endangered list people in south east asia eat them. .GEORGE
Posted 14th April 2008, 11:13 AM
If you mean those bred by fanciers, probably the largest would be one or other forms of Runt, with the King and Carneau not far behind.

John

"Pigeons know more than we think - and think more than we know" ~ John D.
Posted 14th April 2008, 11:18 AM
I know the modena is a heavy breed of pijn.
Posted 14th April 2008, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnipes View Post
The ones from the FedEx commercial?

(sorry!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_D View Post
If you mean those bred by fanciers, probably the largest would be one or other forms of Runt, with the King and Carneau not far behind.
John
That's the one I was thinking.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 14th April 2008, 12:46 PM

Large domestic breeds

The largest in appearance has to be the Hungarian Giant House Pigeon as they are crested, have muffed feet and are somewhat loose or long feathered which adds to their already immense appearance. They can weigh 2 pounds or more. I believe they are also claimed to be the heaviest domestic pigeon.

There are several other breeds that are all very near or equal to the 2 pound weight as well. The Runt, Carneau, Show King, French Mondaine and Giant American Crest all come to mind as being around this size.

There are also many other large breeds but the biggest that I know of are listed above.

Someone mentioned Modenas but they are small to mid-sized at best. Their shape resembles Show Kings and French Mondaines and perhaps this is what people are getting confused about.

Lebanons, Syrian Swifts, Dewlaps and some of the Pouter breeds like the Dutch Cropper are also quite large but not 2 pounds.

The Victoria Crown is certainly the biggest of all but it really has no domestic close relatives. I don't know what they weigh but they are huge as pigeons go.

The extinct Dodo was a type of flightless pigeon and was probably the largest ever.

Bill
Posted 14th April 2008, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbangelfish View Post
There are several other breeds that are all very near or equal to the 2 pound weight as well. The Runt, Carneau, Show King, French Mondaine and Giant American Crest all come to mind as being around this size.
I saw some of those breeds at the NPA show, but also saw "giant homers" and I thought those were about the biggest pidgies I'd ever seen. Maybe it's just cuz they looked like your "average every day" pigeon on STEROIDS
Posted 14th April 2008, 01:07 PM

Giant homers are large

There are alot of breeds that qualify as large. I don't know how many but maybe 50 breeds or more could be considered large, compared to the average pigeon.

If you see the largest of all, maybe they should be called huge. There are several breeds, maybe 8 or 10 that are in the true giant category, maybe even a few more.

Bill
Posted 14th April 2008, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbangelfish View Post

There are also many other large breeds but the biggest that I know of are listed above.

Someone mentioned Modenas but they are small to mid-sized at best. Their shape resembles Show Kings and French Mondaines and perhaps this is what people are getting confused about.

Lebanons, Syrian Swifts, Dewlaps and some of the Pouter breeds like the Dutch Cropper are also quite large but not 2 pounds.

The Victoria Crown is certainly the biggest of all but it really has no domestic close relatives. I don't know what they weigh but they are huge as pigeons go.

The extinct Dodo was a type of flightless pigeon and was probably the largest ever.

Bill
That is very interesting about the Dodo, I'm going to tell everyone that today lol.

My Betty Boop is probably a French Mondaine, at least according to George, who as far as I know has never been wrong. Betty Boop is by far the largest pigeon I have, outweighing my large king pigeons by quite a bit. He is just huge and very muscular and heavy. Here is a pic of him:

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats33...68852306007058

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 14th April 2008, 08:17 PM

Yes, I'm sure George is right

It looks like a French Mondaine to me as well. On shape, I can't tell them from Show Kings but the color I believe is Mondaine. I think the Mondaines are just slightly larger than Show Kings also.

There is also a Swiss Mondaine but they are more long and Utility King body style.

George has the same book that I have and it is the best reference book of pigeon breeds that I know of. I've read it so many times that I don't refer to it very often but sometimes I can be stymied too.

Bill
Posted 14th April 2008, 11:54 PM
The Giant Runt is the largest domesticated pigeon (by weight) in captivity that is a descendant of the rock dove many generations removed.

Runts typically weigh 2.5-3 lbs. The one in the Guinness World Book of records weighed nearly 5lbs. Seems as though the reference to this is gone now unfortunately, at least I can't find it anymore.

My runts are light for their breed with each weighing slightly over 2lbs.
Posted 15th April 2008, 12:14 AM
Here's some info:

Victoria crowned-pigeon (Goura victoria)

Crowned-pigeons are the largest pigeons in the world at approximately 74cm (29 in) long, immediately distinguished by the spectacular crest of lacy feathers on their heads, for which they earn their common name. Widely regarded as ranking amongst some of the most handsome of all pigeons, the Victoria crowned-pigeon is a large steely blue-grey bird with deep maroon plumage below, a pale grey wing patch and striking red eyes. However, the true splendour of this bird comes from the magnificent adornment of its white-tipped, fan-shaped crest, so large and beautiful that it has sadly attracted widespread hunting of the species.

Posted 15th April 2008, 12:06 PM
Crowned pigeon, giant runt, french mondine, swiss mondine, carnue, show racer, giant homer, these are basicly the largest breeds. The crowned pigeon is protected and is found in a few Zoos. They really do not look like any named breed of pigeons. But fall in the family. Modenas today are as big and some bigger then show kings. Body type is near the same. Utility kings are much different in type then show type kings.
Posted 15th April 2008, 09:30 PM

If that's true, they've gotten bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonpal2002 View Post
The Giant Runt is the largest domesticated pigeon (by weight) in captivity that is a descendant of the rock dove many generations removed.

Runts typically weigh 2.5-3 lbs. The one in the Guinness World Book of records weighed nearly 5lbs. Seems as though the reference to this is gone now unfortunately, at least I can't find it anymore.

My runts are light for their breed with each weighing slightly over 2lbs.
2 pound runts are what I remember but breeders have evidently worked on their size. It is really the only thing that sets a runt apart from other pigeons, it's sheer size. Otherwise, they look pretty normal, or at least they used to. What do they look like now?

It's funny how show people change a breed to suit them as they have done with many. Show Fantails have become freaks that have difficulty flying, walking or even seeing where they are going. They didn't used to be that way.

I've seen at least two people talking about large Modenas as well. What happened to them? They used to be cute little stubby guys with an attitude.

Show people never cease to amaze me. The ego of having the biggest or best always winds up changing the breed or making an extreme exaggeration of what it began as. I understand the developement of a breed but it almost always seems to get ridiculous.

Bill

Tags
feral pigeon, house pigeon, hungarian giant house, indian fantails, rock dove