Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 11th December 2011, 12:06 PM

Bought a pair of Frillback mix with King pigeon. Just not sure how to breed them?

Hello, I bought this beautiful pair yesterday. They are a cross between mostly or almost all frill back, and then king pigeon. I 've never had a frillback so I have absolutely no clue about breeding, or anything. They are in a sort of small cage that I have darkened and put a pot for a nest with hay. Please help. Thanks.

Posted 11th December 2011, 12:28 PM
hey there I have frillbacks too, Where did you get yours from?
Posted 11th December 2011, 01:33 PM
A very good friend of mine. And you?
Posted 11th December 2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigeon Girl View Post
Hello, I bought this beautiful pair yesterday. They are a cross between mostly or almost all frill back, and then king pigeon. I 've never had a frillback so I have absolutely no clue about breeding, or anything. They are in a sort of small cage that I have darkened and put a pot for a nest with hay. Please help. Thanks.
Hey, Breeding frillbacks is basically the same as breeding any other pigeon, One thing with muffed legged pigeons is they can scoot the eggs or young babies out of the nest so its good to have a lot of nesting material, Also frillbacks have a long tail so make sure you have enough room in the nest for them to stretch out and be comfortable ( maybe yours don't have such a long tail because they are crossed with Kings?
Posted 11th December 2011, 05:08 PM
If you are trying to get "more of" of the frillback out of your birds, you should review the AFC standard for these birds and try to find the birds that look most like the standard. This will give you much cleaner and softer curls out of your feathers (There is a huge difference between a frillback mix's curls, and a pure purposed bloodline's curls, not that it really matters unless you're into that kind of thing . As far as making them breed, its really just like any other bird.

It's easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as modern America's favorite pet. People like pets to possess the same qualities they do. Cats are irresponsible and recognize no authority, yet are completely dependent on others for their material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful. Cats are mean for the fun of it.
Posted 11th December 2011, 05:13 PM
Here's the difference...

It's easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as modern America's favorite pet. People like pets to possess the same qualities they do. Cats are irresponsible and recognize no authority, yet are completely dependent on others for their material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful. Cats are mean for the fun of it.

Last edited by g_girl313; 13th January 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Posted 11th December 2011, 05:14 PM
how small is your cage? they will need a lot of room to stretch, move around and flap the wings, let alone raise babies, then they'll need mate too, are they inside or outside?
Posted 12th December 2011, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigeon Girl View Post
A very good friend of mine. And you?
Got my first pair when I was 12 for $100 the pair, I wont say her name but she had heaps of them. I'm 26 now. I've always been attached to them in a way, they are placid and great lawn birds. they fly really low to the ground almost running as they fly and the young ones like to do 360's when they jump off the roof.

Last edited by thepigeonkey; 12th December 2011 at 02:00 AM.
Posted 13th December 2011, 03:17 AM
so it sounds like they are project birds, your friend maybe trying to increase the size of his frillbacks or the shields on his frillbacks. when you say 'almost all frillback' do you mean they are almost pure frillback and a small amount of king?

They could be nice. I would love to see them. can you post a pic?
Posted 13th December 2011, 05:01 AM
still haven't answered my question on cage size and room for the birds, i would think they would have room to move and fly around before you even think of breeding them..
Posted 13th December 2011, 07:37 AM
Yes, they are now in a bigger cage. And the breeder i got them from wanted to increase the size. And no I'm not breeding 'mutts'. Like i said, the're more frilllback then king. There only mixed with those to.
Posted 13th December 2011, 07:39 AM
And about the picture, I'll attempt to now, but I'm on my phone. I don't have internet.
Posted 13th December 2011, 02:05 PM
I hate to jump into these kind of things, but I am slightly confused. I don't see anything where Pigeon Girl mentions what the parent's were. It is very well that the hen was 100% frillback, and the cock was split down the middle, or some variant of this. That would result in a bird that is more frillback than king.

Also, its difficult to interpret people's meaning through text. So yes, they are "mutt" pigeons, however, I prefer to say mixed, as I refer to my stupid idiot dog as a mutt lol

Again, it would helpful to know exactly what you are trying to accomplish with these birds through breeding, as that will determine how you are going to breed them. Do you want better curls, do you want bigger birds, or do you really not care, and you just want nice birds that will inevitably procreate like their entire race is about to be wiped out and they are God's only hope for saving the pigeon race.

Posted 13th December 2011, 02:10 PM
out of curiousity, can u post a pic of these frillback cross?
Posted 13th December 2011, 02:22 PM
heres are what i think of the following

mutts- unable to tell what has gone into it
mixes- able to say what has been mixed in
breed in development- mixes which are being made into a breed.

I had some i would call breed in development. They were in development for 40 years. Should they really be called mutts, then the authoritative NPA says we now accept them as a breed and it goes from a mutt one second to literally a pure breed the next?

Tags
breeding, frillback, king pigeons, mix