Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
kingdizon's Avatar
kingdizon kingdizon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 01:29 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Location: Vallejo,CA
Age: 24
Posts: 765

Cool Pigeon Facts


PIGEON FACTS:
DID YOU KNOW????

Most of our domesticated pigeons have a common ancestor, the Rock Dove pigeon.

Racing Homing Pigeons have been clocked flying 92.5 mph average speed on a 400 mile race.

Homing Pigeons have been known to fly 700 miles in a day.

Pigeons have flown in many wars, including both WWI & WWII. They have saved countless lives.

Pigeons achieved a 98% success rate in the missions flown in WW II, despite enemy fire, and often with mortal injuries to themselves.

In the World Wars, flying pilots carried pigeons in case they had to ditch their plane, they would release the bird for help. Many pilots owe their lives to a pigeon.

Pigeons are still used today by the French, Swiss, Israeli, Iraqi and Chinese Armies.

Pigeons proved valuable in the Gulf War, as their messaging was not affected by the electronic jamming.

Pigeons have been bought for as much as $132,000.00 by Louella Pigeon World in 1992. "Invincible Spirit"

They have been proposed to be used by the Project Sea Hunt (U.S. Coast Guard) to spot life jackets out in the open sea.

Noah's Dove was most likely a homing pigeon.

They were used by many for communication before the telegraph was invented.

They were used by the Greeks more than 5,000 years ago.

They can and are ready to breed at the age of 5 to 6 months.

They can breed as old as 10 years of age, and have been helped to breed past that.

They are bred, raised and trained as good as Thoroughbred Horses.

Around the world there are about 5 races a year with Million Dollar Purses.

There are more than a million fanciers around the world that keep pigeons, meaning there are more than 4 million kept pigeons.

Both parents feed their young milk.

They have been known to see very well over a 26 mile distance.

Scientist believe they may hear wind blowing over mountains from hundreds of miles away.

In the late 1800 the most heroic recorded flight was from a pigeon that was released in Africa and took 55 days to get home in England. Traveling over 7,000 miles.

A pigeon is about 13 inches from beak to tail.

Unless separated, pigeons mate for life.

A full grown pigeon has about 10,000 feathers.

They have been known to live over 30 years.

In the 17th century, King George I of England, decreed all pigeon droppings to be property of the Crown—and the “lofts” were policed to enforce the law! (Pigeon manure was used in making gunpowder)

The pigeon beats its wings up to ten times per second, while maintaining a heart rate of 600 beats per minute up to 16 hours without rest.

The pigeon has the rare ability for a large bird to be able to fly nearly straight up.

Many of the city pigeons feed on grain in the country.

Advanced studies at the University of Montana conclude: “Pound for pound, columba livia (the pigeon) is one of the smartest, most physically adept creatures in the animal kingdom.”

Queen Elizabeth II races pigeons from the Royal Lofts at Sandringham.

Pigeons are the only bird in the world that do not have to lift their head to swallow water.

When the pigeon is in long flight, it reaches back and holds on to the short tail feathers with its feet in order to save energy from holding its legs up.

During breeding season, when there are more than a few babies on the floor, all parents will feed all babies, even if they are not their own.

In the mid 1800's, the Reuters News Agency operated a live telex service using Homing Pigeons.

Homing Pigeons were introduced to the United States in the mid 1800's. In the 1880's, the first 500 mile race took place in this country.

The ability to hear sounds 11 octaves below middle C allow the pigeons to detect earthquakes and electrical storms.

The top national race, Snowbird Classic, awards a purse of $600,000.

The highest priced Homing Pigeon was sold for $225,000.


__________________
“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” - Mahatma Ghandi
Reply With Quote
NZ Pigeon NZ Pigeon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 02:09 AM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: New Zealand
Location: Christchurch
Age: 29
Posts: 3,342
Nice facts, A few not spot on though, Pigeons do not mate for live for one, They can become promiscious and change mates through choice, When a bird is termed to "mate for life" technically it is referring to penquins and albatros aswell as other birds that will leave each other for the year and then remate up every year without fail until death comes to one of the pair in which case some will find new mates, some will become depressed and loose the will to live, Aswell as that, All the domestic pigeons today are descendants of the rock dove, Charles Darwin prooved this while studying evolution.

Heres the source for anyone interested in checking its validity. http://www.fbipigeons.com/PIGEON%20FACTS.htm

Also, I am not sure that : "during breeding season when there are more than a few babies on the floor the adults will feed all young even those not their own..." is a fact, It happens in some lofts sure, Some of my lofts do it, Some don't. Its an occurance for sure, But a fact...... I am not sure about that.

Last edited by NZ Pigeon; 19th February 2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Added source
Reply With Quote
kingdizon's Avatar
kingdizon kingdizon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 02:20 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Location: Vallejo,CA
Age: 24
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Pigeon View Post
Nice facts, A few not spot on though, Pigeons do not mate for live for one, They can become promiscious and change mates through choice, When a bird is termed to "mate for life" technically it is referring to penquins and albatros aswell as other birds that will leave each other for the year and then remate up every year without fail until death comes to one of the pair in which case some will find new mates, some will become depressed and loose the will to live, Aswell as that, All the domestic pigeons today are descendants of the rock dove, Charles Darwin prooved this while studying evolution.

Heres the source for anyone interested in checking its validity.

Also, I am not sure that : "during breeding season when there are more than a few babies on the floor the adults will feed all young even those not their own..." is a fact, It happens in some lofts sure, Some of my lofts do it, Some don't. Its an occurance for sure, But a fact...... I am not sure about that.
good points. just remember i didnt write this up. I do find it interesting Pablo Picasso kept fantails..and that "Pigeons have been utilized by every major historical superpower from ancient Egypt to the United States of America. It was a pigeon that delivered the results of the first Olympics in 776 B.C., and a pigeon that first brought news of Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo more than 2,500 years later"
__________________
“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” - Mahatma Ghandi
Reply With Quote
NZ Pigeon NZ Pigeon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 02:29 AM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: New Zealand
Location: Christchurch
Age: 29
Posts: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdizon View Post
good points. just remember i didnt write this up. I do find it interesting Pablo Picasso kept fantails..and that "Pigeons have been utilized by every major historical superpower from ancient Egypt to the United States of America. It was a pigeon that delivered the results of the first Olympics in 776 B.C., and a pigeon that first brought news of Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo more than 2,500 years later"
Yeah I realise you didn't write it and I suspect the person who did needs to double check the meaning of fact. I mean, A statement such as "every major historical superpower" is open to intepretation, Facts shouldn't be.
Reply With Quote
kingdizon's Avatar
kingdizon kingdizon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 02:48 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Location: Vallejo,CA
Age: 24
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Pigeon View Post
Yeah I realise you didn't write it and I suspect the person who did needs to double check the meaning of fact. I mean, A statement such as "every major historical superpower" is open to intepretation, Facts shouldn't be.
actually that major superpower is fact that can be interperated. Mesopotamia,Egypt,Rome,U.S.A,Germany,All the Middle East, all at one time and still continue to use pigeons for various reasons. The term major superpower is debatable, their use of pigeons however is not.

And in essence, ALL facts may be facts, but are open to interpretation by everyone. Like how adults feed all the baby pigeons..it is a fact but can be interpreted because of variable consistency,
__________________
“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” - Mahatma Ghandi

Last edited by kingdizon; 19th February 2013 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
thepigeonkey's Avatar
thepigeonkey thepigeonkey is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 05:19 AM
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: New Zealand
Location: New Zealand
Age: 29
Posts: 909
Some interesting facts and things, here's some more.
There was a gene which produced naked pigeons.
People used to beak bend scandaroons and skull dent tumblers sometimes killing birds, all to make them look good in the show.
People still blow up their croppers and pouters, streching them to get a bigger crop.
Criminals used pigeons to get drugs into prison.
Reply With Quote
kingdizon's Avatar
kingdizon kingdizon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 05:31 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Location: Vallejo,CA
Age: 24
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepigeonkey View Post
Some interesting facts and things, here's some more.
There was a gene which produced naked pigeons.
People used to beak bend scandaroons and skull dent tumblers sometimes killing birds, all to make them look good in the show.
People still blow up their croppers and pouters, streching them to get a bigger crop.
Criminals used pigeons to get drugs into prison.
Didn't know about that last one. the middle two are just wrong. and i've seen these naked pigeons around. i figured it was part of the breed or something..i dont know i never liked the naked strains of animal breeds,molerats dogs cats...it's just creepy to me.
__________________
“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” - Mahatma Ghandi
Reply With Quote
thepigeonkey's Avatar
thepigeonkey thepigeonkey is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 06:38 AM
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: New Zealand
Location: New Zealand
Age: 29
Posts: 909
you have seen naked pigeons? pictures? they're extinct arn't they?
Reply With Quote
Msfreebird's Avatar
Msfreebird Msfreebird is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 07:00 AM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Location: Southern Maine Seacoast, USA
Age: 60
Posts: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdizon View Post
Didn't know about that last one. the middle two are just wrong. and i've seen these naked pigeons around. i figured it was part of the breed or something..i dont know i never liked the naked strains of animal breeds,molerats dogs cats...it's just creepy to me.
This is the latest one I know of......
http://news.sky.com/story/831227/exc...uggling-pigeon
__________________
Waynette

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Reply With Quote
kingdizon's Avatar
kingdizon kingdizon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 07:01 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Location: Vallejo,CA
Age: 24
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepigeonkey View Post
you have seen naked pigeons? pictures? they're extinct arn't they?
Well not completely. I seen some pictures of pigeons with naked heads...idk if thats the same thing tho.
__________________
“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” - Mahatma Ghandi
Reply With Quote
NZ Pigeon NZ Pigeon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 01:24 PM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: New Zealand
Location: Christchurch
Age: 29
Posts: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdizon View Post
actually that major superpower is fact that can be interperated. Mesopotamia,Egypt,Rome,U.S.A,Germany,All the Middle East, all at one time and still continue to use pigeons for various reasons. The term major superpower is debatable, their use of pigeons however is not.

And in essence, ALL facts may be facts, but are open to interpretation by everyone. Like how adults feed all the baby pigeons..it is a fact but can be interpreted because of variable consistency,
I am sorry but facts are prooven to be factual and are not open to change or intepretation. It is not a fact that adult pigeons feed baby pigeons on the ground, If it was, All pigeons would do it, If it has said, Some pigeons in some lofts will feed young on the ground that is factual but to claim it is the norm is not.
Reply With Quote
kingdizon's Avatar
kingdizon kingdizon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 01:31 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Location: Vallejo,CA
Age: 24
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Pigeon View Post
I am sorry but facts are prooven to be factual and are not open to change or intepretation. It is not a fact that adult pigeons feed baby pigeons on the ground, If it was, All pigeons would do it, If it has said, Some pigeons in some lofts will feed young on the ground that is factual but to claim it is the norm is not.
Ah yes, but it didnt say all adults in every loft everytime. Just generally saying that an adult that isnt the parent will fill the babies on the floor. Yes it doeant always happen, but its a fact that it does. I think thats all who wrote this up was trying to say. He just worded it poorly In my opinion. But I understand your point. But didnt really claim it as the norm again I think he just worded it a lil funny thats all. And btw, there are "facts" that are misproven and changed because somebody interpreted it and asked questions science is full of that stuff. I think the world would be a better place if people asked questions about everything they are told. So yes indeed a fact is proven and is not subject to change, that is the definition. But like I said there are certain variables at certain times that proves that fact unfactual but for the sake of saving grace, I digress.
__________________
“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” - Mahatma Ghandi
Reply With Quote
thepigeonkey's Avatar
thepigeonkey thepigeonkey is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 04:04 PM
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: New Zealand
Location: New Zealand
Age: 29
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdizon View Post
Well not completely. I seen some pictures of pigeons with naked heads...idk if thats the same thing tho.
there was a strain of homers which produced completely naked birds, no feathers or down at all.
Reply With Quote
kingdizon's Avatar
kingdizon kingdizon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 04:14 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Location: Vallejo,CA
Age: 24
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepigeonkey View Post
there was a strain of homers which produced completely naked birds, no feathers or down at all.
Thats freaking weird. How the heck can they be homers with no feathers they dont fly?? Lol ima look it up. Itd be funny if they were still around and people had them. Theyd ask hey whyd you pluck all the feathers off your bird for? Lol
__________________
“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” - Mahatma Ghandi
Reply With Quote
NZ Pigeon NZ Pigeon is offline
Posted 19th February 2013, 05:25 PM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: New Zealand
Location: Christchurch
Age: 29
Posts: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdizon View Post
Ah yes, but it didnt say all adults in every loft everytime. Just generally saying that an adult that isnt the parent will fill the babies on the floor. Yes it doeant always happen, but its a fact that it does. I think thats all who wrote this up was trying to say. He just worded it poorly In my opinion. But I understand your point. But didnt really claim it as the norm again I think he just worded it a lil funny thats all. And btw, there are "facts" that are misproven and changed because somebody interpreted it and asked questions science is full of that stuff. I think the world would be a better place if people asked questions about everything they are told. So yes indeed a fact is proven and is not subject to change, that is the definition. But like I said there are certain variables at certain times that proves that fact unfactual but for the sake of saving grace, I digress.
I agree a fact can be challenged and altered if new info comes to light, hence my challenging this one. I disagree with it. As I do with the claim pigeons mate for life.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pigeon facts

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2000-2013 pigeons.biz