Dummy eggs - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
bundyray's Avatar
bundyray bundyray is offline
Posted 1st January 2010, 08:54 PM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bundaberg Australia
Posts: 115

Dummy eggs


G'day thought I'd exhaust my hen if I kept destroying her eggs so found some Jade that has passed for eggs (they're happily sitting on them) my question is how long will they remain broody on these eggs for? I am hoping that the happy couple will remain on them for sometime? or will it be a case of when incubation times up they'll just abandon them?


Reply With Quote
Msfreebird's Avatar
Msfreebird Msfreebird is offline
Posted 2nd January 2010, 04:40 AM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Location: Southern Maine Seacoast, USA
Posts: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundyray View Post
G'day thought I'd exhaust my hen if I kept destroying her eggs so found some Jade that has passed for eggs (they're happily sitting on them) my question is how long will they remain broody on these eggs for? I am hoping that the happy couple will remain on them for sometime? or will it be a case of when incubation times up they'll just abandon them?
When they don't hatch - after the incubation period, they will leave them and start over again. After she's lays both new eggs, you can switch with the dummy eggs. Just make sure she is getting some form of calcium.
__________________
Waynette

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Reply With Quote
Msfreebird's Avatar
Msfreebird Msfreebird is offline
Posted 2nd January 2010, 04:54 AM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Location: Southern Maine Seacoast, USA
Posts: 5,412
Speaking of "happily sitting on dummy eggs" -- I was doing my weekly changing of shavings and "egg switching" yesterday in my loft and I couldn't find any of my spare wooden eggs!!!!
I have 2 hens that like to nest on the floor in the corners. So, I'm checking under each bird to see what they have (fake or real eggs) - and I find ALL my spare eggs under 1 hen! My little "hoard" in the corner had 8 wooden eggs and 1 real egg!!! I have no idea how she got all those eggs, obviously she put them there - because I didn't. LOL
__________________
Waynette

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Reply With Quote
 
bundyray's Avatar
bundyray bundyray is offline
Posted 2nd January 2010, 11:47 PM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bundaberg Australia
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfreebird View Post
Speaking of "happily sitting on dummy eggs" -- I was doing my weekly changing of shavings and "egg switching" yesterday in my loft and I couldn't find any of my spare wooden eggs!!!!
I have 2 hens that like to nest on the floor in the corners. So, I'm checking under each bird to see what they have (fake or real eggs) - and I find ALL my spare eggs under 1 hen! My little "hoard" in the corner had 8 wooden eggs and 1 real egg!!! I have no idea how she got all those eggs, obviously she put them there - because I didn't. LOL
lol persistance may pay off if she confuses you with all those wooden eggs but they sure are determined
Reply With Quote
sreeshs's Avatar
sreeshs sreeshs is offline
Posted 4th January 2010, 02:26 AM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calicut, Kerala, India
Posts: 2,526
Have anyone tried making your own dummy eggs ? I cant find anymore here to buy some
__________________
Regards,
Sreesh
Click for my album
Reply With Quote
doveone52 doveone52 is offline
Posted 4th January 2010, 03:51 AM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chester, Va
Posts: 1,400
I wonder if clay might work?
Reply With Quote
Msfreebird's Avatar
Msfreebird Msfreebird is offline
Posted 4th January 2010, 04:27 AM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Location: Southern Maine Seacoast, USA
Posts: 5,412
I just buy little wooden balls at the craft store
__________________
Waynette

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Reply With Quote
sreeshs's Avatar
sreeshs sreeshs is offline
Posted 4th January 2010, 08:32 AM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calicut, Kerala, India
Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfreebird View Post
I just buy little wooden balls at the craft store
Are they painted white after been crafted ?
__________________
Regards,
Sreesh
Click for my album
Reply With Quote
Msfreebird's Avatar
Msfreebird Msfreebird is offline
Posted 4th January 2010, 08:34 AM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Location: Southern Maine Seacoast, USA
Posts: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeshs View Post
Are they painted white after been crafted ?
No, just natural hardwood.
__________________
Waynette

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Reply With Quote
sreeshs's Avatar
sreeshs sreeshs is offline
Posted 4th January 2010, 08:38 AM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calicut, Kerala, India
Posts: 2,526
There is a small wooden model of a coconut tree in my mother's bedroom, with a couple of "coconuts" on them which I think will fit the size but brown in color But if she catch me for the missing bounty from the craft, then I will be soon incubating on them instead of my pigeons
__________________
Regards,
Sreesh
Click for my album
Reply With Quote
Msfreebird's Avatar
Msfreebird Msfreebird is offline
Posted 4th January 2010, 09:02 AM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Location: Southern Maine Seacoast, USA
Posts: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeshs View Post
There is a small wooden model of a coconut tree in my mother's bedroom, with a couple of "coconuts" on them which I think will fit the size but brown in color But if she catch me for the missing bounty from the craft, then I will be soon incubating on them instead of my pigeons
LOL, I don't know if I would chance that
I don't paint mine and the birds don't mind
__________________
Waynette

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Reply With Quote
TwinkieSlug's Avatar
TwinkieSlug TwinkieSlug is offline
Posted 4th January 2010, 06:19 PM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 131
Does grit with calcium supply enough calcium to the hen? For whatever calcium source is appropriate, is it ok for the cock to eat it too?
Reply With Quote
LokotaLoft
Posted 4th January 2010, 06:26 PM
Posts: n/a
calcium is more geared towards the hens for egg production but the males need it a little bit too
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
broody, fake eggs

 
You may also search for:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2000-2016 pigeons.biz